RAAL-requisite HSA-1b - Switch Drive Amplifier Review

I used the adapter with several HP’s with no problem but I imagine a HP that is very efficient might have an issue

1 Like

The LCD-X are 103db sensitivity. When I owned the HSA1b I could hear the noise floor with all my ZMF and Focal headphones. The VC for example are 99db and I could already hear it and preferred to use only the standard output. In my case, the HE6 and HEDD sounded better and quiet from the ribbon output, all else I had on hand during that time showed noise floor and I would predict the LCD-X would be quiet only out of the standard outputs.

1 Like

Yes exactly this, I actually called up Danny from RAAL and he explained it all to me. Honestly had a great conversation; really gave me a crash course on this, and all things audio. Thought it was really cool he took time out of his day to do that.

2 Likes

Correct. the ribbon out isnt dumb noisy, but it certainly shows up on more sensitive cans

2 Likes

Danny is an unbelievably generous guy with his knowledge

3 Likes

danny is truly a gentleman,the time he has taken working with me is incredible

5 Likes

Well … my HSA-1b is on its way to its new owner.

It’s a lovely listen … either with the SR1a or with conventional headphones.

But I found that the original interface box, fed from a suitably high-end solid-state amplifier, combined with the new TI-1a interface, fed from a reasonably powerful tube headphone amplifier (8W @ 8Ω), was a better overall combination …

Now, that said, it’s a lot more involved, and a LOT more expensive ($15,900 plus $17,999 respectively) than the HSA-1b, and the difference is in the single-digit percentage range, but such is the reality of diminishing returns.

Was going to buy the VM-1a, but it’s limited utility with conventional headphones, coupled with the tubes it uses being a bit of a risk right now, put paid to that.

Can’t wait to see how the TI-1a fairs with the Zahl amplifier (when it arrives) …

2 Likes

Noice.

I have a CA1A on the way. Will hook the TI1a or b into a Benchmark AHB2.

2 Likes

Does that mean if you have a high-end SS amp, the original interface works better than the transformer interface?

No, not really.

I just prefer solid-state drive through the original interface vs. the TI-1a, and tube-drive via the TI-1a over the original interface.

I can easily see this changing based on which amplifiers are in use and personal preferences.

I am using the Tl-1a with both my formula s/powerman and bakoon 13r…I think the soundstage is wider on the formula…I find recently I am listening to the Tl-1a more than my hsa-1b…both are great options