RAAL-requisite HSA-1b - Switch Drive Amplifier Review

New review of HSA-1b with Ribbon Silver Cable just posted at HP Guru.

Link
HSA1b with Silver Cable - Review

Wow. This is an “over the top” review.

3 Likes

HSA1b with SR728 Silver Headphone Cable

Just received the SR728 Silver Headphone Cable, and am listening to it now, with the HSA1b driven from the dCS Bartok and Roon Nucleus. I must admit that I have to agree with every word of the review by Headphone Guru. When I thought about getting this cable, I was skeptical that it could make any real difference to the outstanding Raal Requisite combination of the HSA1b and the SR1a “earfield monitors”, particularly at such a price. I want to keep listening to a variety of albums with it, but so far I am blown away.

3 Likes

the entire combination,sr1a…hsa-1b and the cable is quite extraordinary…I have a chord dave/blu2 and the thing that blows me away is when listening to albums I have heard a million times I now can literally hear individual instruments in their space completely distinct so you can literally follow along with the bass or the guitar or the piano etc…it is literally a different listening experience and I also have the abyss and susvara which are also fantastic but a completely different experience

3 Likes

I have spent the last four hours listening to music on the HSA1b > SR728 cable > SR1a “earfield monitors”, The combination is so effortless, true and natural, spectacularly accurate - makes me wonder why it is that I have other headphones at all. Of course the answer is for different circumstances: walking, travel, home, podcasts, phone etc. But for sheer listening enjoyment, this combination is the best I have ever heard - the gear dissolves and you are immersed in the music.

1 Like

I spent the last week alternating between the same HSA-1b and JOT R with same SR1a & its Silver Cable.
I heard no big difference in the two midranges, very slight differences approaching the frequency extremes.
Silly as it sounds the first thing that popped into my head was the square waves sounded a hair more square with the JOT R, especially on the bottom end.
My takeaway; the HSA-1b presentation is “relaxed”, the JOT R is “focused”.
But again these are slight differences, and I’m happy with and will keep both.

1 Like

I think the jotr is louder and a bit more aggressive especially out of my chord dave using the xlr out…on the other hand the hsa-1b is more refined…more detailed and a bit more airy for lack of a better term…I too will keep both with the jotr a perfect travel companion

Thanks for the comparisons. I am quite satisfied with Jot R, SR1a,and Norne silver cable, especially after optimizing the system balance with interconnects, power cords, etc. And my preferences do run with more focused/naked sound. While I may pick up the HSA-1b at some point out of curiosity, I’d rather spend the money into my speaker system instead for now.

4 Likes

I am a new RAAL HSA-1b and SR1-a owner as of yesterday. I haven’t slept much.

I want to thank @Torq and others here for sharing. Especially @torq for the amazing resource you created for this system in particular and the generous time and effort you continued to invest on this forum. I can safely say without your insights I never would have invested in the RAAL system.

What I am now hearing is without exaggeration an absolute revelation. As a former musician and avid music lover, I feel a reawakening of sorts (and yes, I am sober as I write this, but I was NOT when I clicked buy!). I am hearing music the closest I ever have to the sensations of playing live with others on a stage. I am moved to tears and so appreciative that I was able to make this decision informed by more than marketing hype.

I will offer a few observations based on early experience:

• The HSA-1b is a really good amplifier for conventional headphones also. I have compared my Eikon and 6XX. I personally think the signature is too dark for the Eikon, I actually like the balance of the 6XX better. As a former Verite Closed owner, I suspect it is a better match. The amp is extraordinary with the SR1-A, of course. But when I go back and forth between the RAAL amp and my Kenzie Ovation, I distinctly prefer the tube amplification for the two conventional headphones I own. I write this to recommend caution in thinking this amp will serve as a “one amp only” if you intend to keep your dynamic driver cans also. This statement is obviously steeped in personal preference.

• The RAAL amp is an excellent 2 channel amplifier and IMO can serve as a single device for relatively efficient speakers. There is more than enough power for my 87 db 8 ohm desk top speakers. And the quality of sound is really fantastic. A little warmer than typical solid state (for example my previous Ragnarok2) but a little more compressed in stage than the less powerful Ovation. If you are considering the RAAL amp know that within limits it can free up a speaker amp too which can help pay for it!

• I hear ZERO difference between SE and Balanced input. When I had it coming out of the Freya S, even the gains were identical and as I switched back and forth on the amp I could detect not one bit of difference. In fact, I thought something was wrong and the amp was not actually switching! When I go directly out of the Bifrost 2, the SE gain is lower than XLR so it is harder to gauge, but I still think the SE is just as good. Fear not if your DAC is only SE.

• I have read a lot of discourse about EQ. So far, after 10-12 hours listening, this is my opinion: most of the time, I find the balance perfect for all genre of music. What changes this is usually the recording itself, which the SR1-a can brutalize, not the genre. I would say 10% of my music listened to so far has left me wanting something tweaked. Usually it is treble, not bass. I freaking love the bass of this “headphone”. It is the most exact, tight, discernible I have heard with no false resonances from speaker cabinet etc. I can HEAR the bass frequency, not just an ambiguous rumble. Mind you, this is an Eikon fanatic writing this. The RAAL do not lack bass. What has also been fun is listening to the RAAL with my subwoofer on, which adds just the last amount of physicality for reggae, electronic etc.

• Because the SE input is so good, I put a Loki+ in the chain for the infrequent occasions I wanted to tame the top end of a harsh recording. Although there is only one treble adjustment on the Loki, it satisfies me and I am reluctant to learn how to EQ digitally. I am a luddite. The Loki+ is a great little device and it has a switch that lets you turn the adjustment on or off without moving a knob. I turn the treble down a couple db and when I am offended by a recording, I turn it on. Done.

Thank you again @Torq and everyone else that contributed to this thread.

Now I need some sleep but I cannot stop listening to the concert on my head.

Happy listening.

13 Likes

Mark, my man. That escalated quickly! Congratulations and glad you are finding your music happy place(s).

2 Likes

Thanks Brandon, I am really screwed now because I can’t keep everything. It’s like really being in love with two women and being told by your father you have to marry one to inherit the estate.

3 Likes

That’s hilarious. A great position nonetheless.

I’ve lost track and am behind, is the Modius your current DAC?

2 Likes

No, I traded my Matrix Element X to Marcello for a BF2 and some $

1 Like

Got it. It’s all about synergies and blending, as you know. Much enjoyment, my friend.

2 Likes

But I tried the Modi3+ and Multibit first

1 Like

Yup, I recall that.

20 char

Thank you. You too! …

1 Like

I’ve had the SR1a on my radar, especially for open back or speaker listening scenarios.

As you get to know the SR1a, it would be great to eventually get your take on what caliber of speaker amp is the appropriate point of entry (as opposed to ceiling) for the SR1a. Thanks.

1 Like

FYI, don’t hold your breath I own no dedicated speaker amps right now. I have an old Rotel integrated that would probably blow up trying, the Ovation, and the RAAL. Torq’s review does share some insights into that. I read both the RAAL threads basically end to end and I think his position was you have to spend at least 2x on a speaker amp to better the RAAL. Even the Jot R sounds better than most speaker amps based on many comments I have read.

3 Likes

Got it and understood, if you happen to make any observations/deductions even if not with direct listening. Maybe it’s similar to drinking a glass and sensing it could be benefit and stand up to new French oak.

I had read the threads and reviews, and believe Torq identified the Parasound speaker amp as an entry alternative to the Jot R (possibly, not necessarily superior or equal).

2 Likes