RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

Just adding some more thoughts.

• I am enjoying power-amp adventure and really surprised with how sr1a picked up small changes over gears in a less aggressive way (HD800, non-S, for example, was very amp-picky presenting either happy or miserable result).
  • SR1a is never a difficult load. Required power is compatible with efficient speakers at practical distance AND impedance changes over frequency remains rather stable (compared to really difficult speakers such as Apogee or Magnapan). This likely played an important role to enjoy any amp connected.
  • The more I enjoy this adventure, the more I feel urged to get a smaller and lighter carrying case. :thinking:
  • Every change from vidar was associated with perhaps meaningful gains … but much more unbearable losses as well. No free lunch at all. I began to think msrp the least determining predictor for the overall performance. Also rated power was persistently insignificant to me. Good quality over 0.1-10W range is way more important. Exceptionally high biasing point (1W) of vidar also distinguishes itself from most class-ABs (100-250mW) in production.
  • That said, if I upgrade amp for sr1a, it would be either sub-50W class As or constant-gm ABs.
  • Very unfortunately, I am concluding SR1a an eq-must headphone for my perception. :disappointed: I initially thought eqing track-dependent, but later found it generally benefit myself.

2 Likes

Great thread enjoying it immensely. I am holding off on buying the SR1a 1) until taxes are filed this year (I did an extension) so I know how much hobby money I have to burn and 2) a clearer consensus on the best performance for price amp is reached.

I assumed I would just get a single Vidar and go from there. However @Torq do you have a Performer s800 coming it? I would be interested if you like the s800 as much as @MrCypruz does. If the s800 really is an end game amp for the SR1a I could buy one with bitcoin.

2 Likes

I don’t.

They were not available in the US within the period for which I needed in order to make an evaluation (for my own purposes). I am not going to ask a dealer to bring one in for “demo” where I have no intention of buying one at this point, either.

That said, I expect I’ll get to give the SR1a a run with one this weekend at the Vancouver meet.

1 Like

Definitely a good starting point, as it is inexpensive and the most widely agreed common denominator. Use this as reference to try alternatives and find more upstream amps to your liking at the preferred price points.

(At least that‘s what I do :wink: )

3 Likes

Could you give me more information about Vancouver meet this coming weekend?

I live 80 minute drive from Vancouver downtown.

Thomas

1 Like

The link to the appropriate thread (which is on the first page of the forum) is here.

Thanks a lot for the link.

But I have another appointment in Toronto on 6th July.

Thus I can not make it this time.

I look forward to next meet.

…and it could very much be your end game if you don’t get bitten by the upgraditis bug!

As I said on my previous post, the Performer s800 is not $2,500 better than the Vidar. The s800 analog liner toroidal transformer is a 855 VA vs 600 VA on the Vidar and the 120 V Voltair technology might also play a significant role on the s800 performance. If it wasn’t for the deal that I got on the s800, I would have most likely settled with a single Vidar with the potential of adding a second one later on. Two Vidar mono blocks may perform on par with a single s800 (if not better, just guessing here) and they still come out way cheaper than the s800.

6 Likes

I had been happy with Empire Zeus IEM(earphone) l with nice dynamics and details.

Out of curiosity I pulled the trigger for Stax009s and Carbon amp last week.

But your statement got me a little bit unhappy.:dizzy_face:

Shall I have had tried Rall Sr1a instead of Stax on 14 days return guarantee?

I have to wait until July 9th to find out how Stax009s and Carbon amp will sound with Dave and Mscaler.

2 Likes

Don’t rush. Stax has its own benefit. 009 has its own merit and unique sounding in Stax way. Some like Raal, others like Stax. All understandable. Haven’t heard 009S yet (owned 009 non-S before) though.

Honestly, I can’t comfortably recommend either 009 or SR1a. Each sucks to some extent. Preference and taste really matter.

1 Like

Until ~30 days or so ago I owned the EE Zeus XR (A) … and used them as my “neutral reference” IEM (for raw “enjoyment”, I prefer my tia Fourté …).

The SR1a does stage, scale, impact and speed better than the Zeus XR(A). And … I’d give the edge to the SR1a in terms of resolution/detail also. Though, of course, you don’t need to lug a 20+ lb box of metal around to get those abilities out of the Zeus (any version).

The SR1a are the first “headphone” I’ve come across that truly rivals (and, in my opinion, exceeds) the resolution and immediacy of TOTL IEMs. And … stage blows any IEM away … even the best Apex/ADEL equipped IEMs …

3 Likes

Let me clarify why I had pulled the trigger for Stax 009S.

I had marveled at the clarity of electrostatic speaker since 1989.

After listening to Martin Logan CLS, I had almost pulled the trigger, but the balance skewed to bright treble stopped me.

Thus I had never used electrostatic speaker at my home.

Stax 009 also got reputation of being bright.

But Stax 009S coupled with Carbon amplifier had got reputation of neutrality, transparency and bass slam.

Thus instead of buying electrostatic speakers, I had opted for electrostatic headphone.

I had also used Apogee Duetta Sig (famous ribbon speaker)from 1989 to 1999 which had been one of my favorite speakers in my 41 years of audio history.

I may also try out Rall SR1A to find out how it sound.

5 Likes

I do think there exists similarity between SR1a and Apogee (can’t remember which model I heard) in treble presentation. So, it sounds more reasonable for you to try SR1a. haha.

But let me just comment that unequalized SR1a could be brighter than 009, depending on which treble range to feel more sensitive. SR1a has more solid and deeper bass, midrange is a little more wet and liquid-ish with 009 (paired with SRM717) from the memory, and top end extension is nearly on par but I prefer Raal. Without considering equalization, I would take 009 for modern and treble-heavy tracks (SR1a gave me really hard time for such tracks) and SR1a for naturally-mic’d jazz or darker vocal works.

Still curious about 009S though.

2 Likes

Since 1999, I had been using only tube amplifier on my main 2 channel system.

If I had kept Jadis 500(350W monster 4 pieces tube amp), then I may be able to drive Rall Sr1a to full glory.

I have two SET amps and Rogue Cronus Magnum II.

I also keep Lyngdorf 2170 for room correction and active crossover.

If I try out Rall Sr1a , then I may start with Lyngdorf 2170 (170W for 4 ohm) which also has a digital equalization presets.

I would recommend both of them everyday and twice on Sunday granted that you’ve proper DAC and amplification (KGSSHV Carbon - I’m using this one / Carbon CC / KG T2 / BHSE for Stax and Performer s800 for SR1a) and be done with the headphones…but that’s just what my ears told me.

Ah and I truly enjoy both headphones without any EQ at all.

Don’t be because you shouldn’t trust my ears. To me my Stax setup is my 2nd favorite losing only to the SR1a.
The best way for me to describe the SR1a is, “a 009S with significantly better bass and accuracy/realism”

1 Like

A couple more hours with the McIntosh MA252 … look … it’s a lovely piece, if somewhat betrayed with its lack of Vu-meters (cost-concious-marketdroids-pay-attention … CLEARLY you do not grok the brand) …

… but it can’t keep up with the SR1a and a SINGLE Vidar … (clip … clipitty … clip … clip … )

… and that’s just embarrassing.

2 Likes

McIntosh isn’t investing where they need to these days. The amps I’ve tried are overrated and frankly you could do much better at every price point they offer.

@Thomas_kong If you want to invest in the same amount as the Mjolnir audio Carbon on the SR1a, it’s the SR1a’s all the way, the 009s doesn’t scale as far or as readily. That’s a fine Estat amp but Spritzer, regardless of how much he seems to indicate to the contrary, does not have access to the same level of components or fabrication as top-tier speaker amp builders.

2 Likes

Indeed.

The MHA-100 and MHA-150 were both … well … slack when it came to headphones. I can see if it you’re using lively speakers too … but with even vaguely demanding cans … it was (Largely-Deaf) ORFAS territory …

1 Like

I second this 101%. The SR1a scales up a lot better and gives you the ability to adjust the sound (soundstage, imaging, bass and treble response) depending on how you place them on your head and how closed/open the baffles are relative to your ears. You can’t get that with the 009S regardless of the amp you use.

2 Likes