RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

When evaluating the abilities of a new piece of gear, on the fly, and not in the context of a final review, I tend to focus on finding its limits. Ultra fast, ultra resolving, studio-neutral-to-bright headphones almost never sound flattering with marginal material so it’s not something I focus on initially, so I don’t use that stuff early on.

I did comment that the SR1a is not a headphone I would pair with a regular diet of Spotify, Google Music or Amazon Music content, also. Take their latent issues, especially with certain DACs in the case of Spotify, and then add material that was marginal before it was hamfistedly compressed … yeah, would not be good.

And I’ve definitely mentioned earlier in the thread that I find the AH2B to be too lean, and somewhat clinical, when used with speakers, and that I would expect it to be similar, or even more obviously so, with the SR1a. Vidar is a nice mix, in that regard.

There’s a difference between what up-stream gear (or music) I might use to evaluate the absolute limits of a piece of gear, and what gear I would choose to use it with in the pursuit of musical enjoyment.

3 Likes

Nothing strange. I know some other great headphone engineers who voice their products with sub-optimal configuration for various reasons. Benchmark products are having good objectivity. No doubt from my side, either. But as a listener, it is not what I primarily want. Haha. I am totally fine if my lab buys it for experiments though.

On top of that, there are several myth-ish audio beliefs that I adhere to. To some extent, I “biasedly” don’t like benchmark AHB2. For example, I don’t want to have a switching power supply when I spend $3,000 (which to my ears generally hurts ambiance cues and low level microdynamics). Class-G/H approach (Class-AB + Additional power rails) is something I doubt, too. Actually, ahb2 sounded a bit better than I EXPECTED to hear. But with 3k money, my preference goes elsewhere.

Speaking of Alex, reading his dac or amp perspectives over Head-Fi, I firmly concluded that his statements would not be predictive for my preference at all. Such is subjective world. Nothing wrong. :wink:

3 Likes

In my last reply, I wrongly assumed that Spring has no attenuation feature.

Since I’ve made a dedicated spreadsheet file to quickly calculate my “safety” zone for SR1a… let me share the results:

For 2.2 Vrms (= 9.07 dbu) output, it needs roughly -5 db of attenuation not to exceed Vidar’s input sensitivity (= 4.31 dbu) … and with -5 db’ed signal, SR1a would generate up to 110.7 db spl. :fearful:

From this, an user may need -20 to -40 db of additional attenuation – depending on one’s listening level. So, if DAC can do it (total -25 to -45 db of attenuation) sufficiently well (which I still doubt for more than 90% of dacs on the market), it will be fine not to have preamp. It generally seems that having Phonitor in the chain would benefit @MrCypruz. Honestly I really envy phonitor’s functionality…

3 Likes

Agree to both of you. Yes, everything was communicated transparently, that’s what I appreciate a lot, so all good. I myself have kind of decided already that I am going to like that ultra-neutral, ultra-precise performance at all cost, because thats what consider „right“ and „true“ (having totally bought into Alex‘ arguments on Head-Fi in contrast, by the way :wink: ), of course without having heard any part of the chain yet at all. So I‘m in for an interesting journey as well, with no idea what I will ultimately end up with. For me, that ride is part of the joy, isn‘t it :wink:

3 Likes

Actually, you assumed correctly.

I was just referring to using software attenuation in the music-player or streaming client. It has no on-board volume control, hardware or software.

With HQPlayer feeding it, doing the attenuation in the player isn’t bad (depending on what filters and upsampling are applied), but straight out of TIDAL (etc.) is another matter entirely!

1 Like

So … I spent a bit of time in the last day or three, between my wife’s birthday (an all-week affair!), some unprecedented work-nonsense, an unexpected exhaustion of my “The McCallan” supply, several Manhattan’s-too-many and all-too-little-sleep … playing with another amplifier and the SR1a.

It wasn’t on my radar initially … but the amp in question is the Chord Étude.

This has quite a few similarities with the Linn (AK4200) amp. Both employ internal very-high-frequency switch-mode PSUs. This is not something for which I am normally a fan. Linn has shown, over many years, that they can do this properly. Their PSUs measure, on a near-seven-figure-calibrated-LeCroy, better performance (in any metric) than ANY LPSU I’ve come across.

Chord seem to have this down too.

Both are, technically, class A/B … with some special-sauce around the transition from class A to B.

I really can’t tell the Linn and the Chord amplifiers apart into the SR1a (directly driven by DAVE). Maybe I could into speakers (the Linn is physically more robust, and slightly higher-rated). But the Chord is less than half the size, the same price (give or take) as the more appropriate Linn AK2200, gives up nothing in performance that I can audibly discern, and can be bridged to allow using a pair, with double the power, if needed.

The Étude seems to be quite conservatively rated (150w into 4Ω) as it has no problems with the most demanding playlists and listening levels I dare subject my ears to with the SR1a. (I will still want to try running a pair of Études).

(Pictures will be forthcoming … from these various amps in my own setup.)

7 Likes

Coming back to the “doesn’t work well with marginal content” (paraphrasing) discussion …

The SR1a takes no prisoners …

They are readily exposing source-level distortion that I don’t really hear with most other cans/chains. The distortion I am hearing is definitely intended in the mixing/mastering … it’s much too blatant to be accidental. But it is SO pronounced, vs. cleaner material, via the SR1a that it could be a problem with some music.

I am still in love with these cans, but you will definitely want to audition them with your own sources and music preferences.

2 Likes

What are your main sources of music at the moment? I use Roon and Audirvana+ for Windows 10, streaming from both Tidal and Qobuz… Out of the two streaming platforms, I find Qobuz to be more consistent when it comes to SQ. Tidal can occasionally be “hit or miss”… I hope that those two platforms are “good enough” for the objectively uncompromising nature of the SR1a.

3 Likes

Streaming-wise I use TIDAL and Qobuz (and Apple Music, but only from my phone/tablet), via Roon (old Soloos user, and lifetime Roon subscriber pretty much out of the gate) and Audirvana 3.5.x on macOS.

I have an enormous local FLAC library (mostly ripped CDs and needle-drops). And when I say “enormous”, I mean that it would take several years, listening 8 hours a day, with no repetition, to listen to everything in it ONCE. A good chunk of which is my re-buying (where it was possible to do so), about 12,000 LPs (in storage in the UK) in digital versions (where available).

(I really am a music-first audiophile).

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your passion for music…I was about to become a lifetime Roon user as well but with the Audirvana+ update to 3.5 for Windows coming soon I’ll hold off on that for now. I actually prefer (most of the times) Audirvana’s simplicity and and how significantly faster it is on my Windows laptop when compared to Roon.

12,000 LPs is just unbelievable, I can’t imagine the weight of all those recordings. That could probably make a decent size fishing boat sink! If destiny allows, I’ll take a bunch of hard drives to copy some stuff from your humongous library!

1 Like

Neither could the freight company … which is why about 11,000 of them still reside, in properly controlled storage, in the UK!

2 Likes

Disclaimer: Very preliminary and exploratory work. Needs a grasp of salt. Value statements or over-interpretation never recommended.

Now I started to measure this thing – one of the reasons why I wanted to own.

Those who are not familiar with measurements of this kind of FULL LEAKING headphones must first read discussions and questions raised in the days of AKG K1000. Technically this is not a cirumaural headphone (aka overear headphone), therefore acoustic theories based on AE/OE are limited to unknown extent.

That said, results indicate several interesting points – to me.

I previously posted about placement and positioning. And the result above confirms possible variance.

Below is Tyll’s measurement of AKG K-1000. It also has positional response variance. But to less extent.

Note that Tyll’s are uncompensated against head and ear gain. Relative difference is still meaningful though.

With a single channel driven and and my wing placement (ears barely touched to metal frame), frequency response looks like the following:

To understand my compensation better, new-pad HD600 (sounds brighter and more aggressive than well-worn) added to the graph.

2k peak is partly explained (if not entirely) by possibly DIFFERENT interaction with earcanal and ear drum gains of head-related overall gain (aka HRTF): see below.

AKG K-1000 with independent of direction compensation had that peak. Very interesting.

Bass response is so FANTASTIC that can impress me for such a full-leaking structure. Note that bass is not (and should not be) compensated against head/ear gains. So, this region is easier to interpret without concerning with HRTF.

Response starts to drop from about 50 hz (small and mild peak at 90hz is due to reflection). Drivers without enclosure seem to have this character – drop slightly before its resonance frequency. Note that MySphere 3 has resonance at 55 ohm and K1000 at 70 ohm.

I also took near-field pink noise RTA with measuring mic, which was the same as I got with EARS in the bass.

Above is a near-field UNCOMPENSATED response of MySphere 3 (I don’t attach their compensated one because they adjusted bass, which I never agree with).

So, measurably SR1a has deeper sub bass extension than similarly structured headphones (K1000, MySphere 3). Actually it could be rivaled by only a few open-back headphones. Note that Utopia has leaner response, although it is an engineering decision associated with smaller (40mm) driver size and excursion limit.

Finally below is the waterfall plot (plotted from 0 to 5 ms).

As expected (no cup reflection and reverberation), cleaner than any other traditional headphones to date. Of course, be careful that cleanness may not be associated with higher quality.

I will have more fun with EARS and SR1a for sure… and report it back here.

PS. Measurements taken at 92db at 300hz. Slightly lower than my usual work, but I was concerned with power handling limit.

3 Likes

One quibble - the K1000 had different versions with a fundamental resonant frequency at 50, 60 and 70 hz, depending on production batches. The early 50hz drivers had production consistency issues and was eventually changed to 70hz targeting, mostly as a point of convenience.

Alex mentioned that while the fundamental resonant frequency of the SR1a is 30hz, the drivers need runtime to relax into 30hz and will come at a higher frequency out of the box. It would be interesting to run the pair in for a few dozen extra hours to see if the bass response improves.

3 Likes

It’s not an issue for this case. The first graph (both channel driven) was taken with a bit cold sr1a this morning, but the later one (single channel driven) was investigated after a good 12 hours of service (I mean… all day today) :smile:

I heard about some running changes of K1000 (so-called bass heavy and bass light versions). Now you clarified. It’s understandable that their drivers differ in resonance frequency across revisions for manufacturing reasons.

1 Like

I assume that’s a MacAllan supply. Not good to have run out.

2 Likes

You would, indeed, be correct, Sir.

Bloody auto-correct …

The ME remains divine. VERY special occasions, only, now, though.

I will never, literally, run out of The MacCallan, that just wouldn’t be cricket. In fact our gracious hosts, the brothers Lissimore, furnished us (okay, Elizabeth really only had one taste, maybe five) with a delicious limited edition MacCallan (long since consumed … YUMMY … and THANK YOU!!) … the very thought is … disturbing.

4 Likes

One week has passed since I got SR1a. Oh, it felt much longer – I had to fight against various struggles (due to departure from my audio preference) and guilty feelings (e.g., do I really need this expensive piece?).

I finally decided to keep SR1a – and Vidar, too.

Does this stand up for its hypes?

Not quite. I don’t buy bass and neutrality as much as more enthusiastic users than myself. Speed is excellent but comes with artificiality (ultra-thin and ultra-lightweight drivers sound that way to me more or less) particularly in bass.

However, except these three primary weaknesses (in my definition), it’s very difficult to nitpick sr1a’s sounding though. Not many headphones can do at this level.

Vidar impressed me significantly. Now I know it could be much worse (to me) regardless of more (4x or higher) money spent. High bias, spot on bass, smarter feedback, and smoother top end all benefited me. And it runs cool. And it’s black. Enough to call it a day. The only thing I am still curious is Aegir but it must be running hotter (due to much higher biasing point).

Equalization did wonder in dialing in the last bit… at its own cost. So far gain exceeded loss. Fair enough. I might consider something like Behringer DEQ in my chain later.

With getting everything right (or not very wrong), this transducer provides me with an unique experience (in terms of ribbon sounding and wearing speakers) and good technicality. Price is still stupid. But I can bear it anyway… for now.

8 Likes

Given my own (imperfect) hearing, I reached this point with the THX AAA 789 plus the lowly Elex. Songs started deconstructing: mixing decisions became obvious, volume mismatches became obvious, and each instrument started sounding alone instead of being part of the whole. Even this combo is far more resolving than many studio setups.

I admittedly pursue unpolished and low-fi sources, so this doesn’t trouble me.

The Elex moved me to introduce a bit of harmonic distortion for many sources (i.e., HE-560), so there’s likely no ROI from moving upwards.

Great information, and Gorgeous photo!

2 Likes

Just as a heads-up for my fellow compatriots, in case you (as I before) are not aware or have missed it:

David and Danny of Requisite Audio had informed me that Stefan Gürtler with his company Headphone Auditions / Concert Audio is selling and shipping the SR1a from within the European Union (he is located in the Netherlands), so no hassle with import taxes etc., and a 14 day money back guarantee. I have just placed my order with Stefan. He also has an event today until Friday in Amsterdam in which he will present and audition the SR1a, just mentioning in case anybody is in the area and wants to pop by (and then obviously report here :grin:).

Here’s the link to the SR1a on the Headphone Auditions website: https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/product/sr1a-ribbon-earfield-monitors/

4 Likes