RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

I am amazed Schiit was able to get this close to production so fast. Looking forward to your impressions of the Jotunheim R particularly if you have the final tuning. Might be too much to hope these ship by Xmas but I think I know what I want now …

5 Likes

The tuning on this unit is “production-intent”.

Which means that, absent other issues being found or, I suppose, a rash of feedback on the compensation profile that prompted a change, this is how the production units will sound.

Though that’s something I’ll verify with a production unit before posting a final verdict - even if it is as an update to a review of this as it stands. It’ll be clear, either way.

But yes, it is pretty impressive to see how fast this moved from being an experiment based on a hacked-up Jotunheim with a lab supply, into something that’s in the last phase prior to a production release. Even more so due to the, I expect, comparatively niche market that is the SR1a (though I think that’s been changing, and I expect Jotunheim R will probably accelerate that).

In being simpler, and smaller, and far more convenient than a speaker-amp based configuration, it has the potential to significantly reduce the “barrier to entry” for prospective SR1a owners. Particularly if RAAL-requisite either offer this is a package with the SR1a instead of the existing interface box, or simply make the interface optional (you can already buy the box separately).

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to try the Jotunheim R for a little bit (thank you @Torq ) and I must say it is pretty awesome that Schiit was able to create this! It was already a pretty sure I’ll buy this to now a must-buy =)

I can’t speak on sound or what have you and you will have to wait for Torqs assessment on it, due to not having a solid amount of time with it. But in the short time I did have with it, the Jotunheim R (I so much want to shorten this to JR, but I think that nickname is very un-befitting of this awesome bit of kit!) solidified my want for it. I think it will be more or less exactly what I am looking for in pairing with the SR1a! I would have to do a proper back to back with the dual mono Vidars as soon as I get it, to properly decide which I prefer though =)

3 Likes

For those of you interested in the SR1a and wanting a simpler solution to driving them, or that have been on the fence due to them needing a speaker/power amplifier to drive, have a look at the “Jotunheim R” thread … as it takes care of both of those “issues”.

4 Likes

I may try out SR1a if Jotunheim R is available without box.

Thomas

1 Like

While waiting for the Jotunheim R to release, I decided to try them while gaming…it was ridiculous (in an amazing way)!

Crazy good imaging and detail retrieval allowed for an awesome gaming session! Epic comes to mind…

11 Likes

I would agree. I have both the Focal Utopia (driven by the Bartok HP amp) and the SR1a (driven by SPL s800) and I love them both. Each has very different performance characteristics. It all depends on my mood which one I select. I am keeping them both!

4 Likes

The SR1a will probably be my end game phones, I am just waiting for the Jotunheim R to reach production. My only concern is comfort. I often wear my HD800S for eight hours at a time while working at the computer with no problems at all. The only way to know for sure will be to get them in and try, just hoping they are as comfortable as the HD800S for me.

2 Likes

I think you should be able to do the same with the SR1A… I find them very comfortable, especially once dialed in to your preference.

2 Likes

did anybody use the RAAL with a subwoofer?

1 Like

I am not sure if it fits in this thread, but did anyone of you use a subwoofer with the RAAL-SR1a?

1 Like

Hi. I have tried two subwoffers . Martin Logan Dynamo 700 and a small one from Comhear that comes with the Yarra 3DX soundbar. The truth is that because of the placement of the Martin Logan in my music room the result was not satisfaying , it felt slow and not very integrated with the SR1a , on the other hand i could place the small one wich has a downfiring driver over my desktop in a corner and the result is remarkable , fast , tight and defined i can also feel the impact since it shakes my desktop wich adds to the experince. My main 2 channel system haven’t been used this last month since i am enjoying my SR1a + Sub a lot . I have the SR1a since 2 months ago and I will be posting my impressions soon .
Regards.

7 Likes

I want to clarify that to my ears the tonal balance and openness i prefer is when the wings are at 45º and in this position frequencies below 40Hz are a little light, that’s why i decided to add a sub , but when the wings are completely close i think a sub is not needed but i prefer them at 45º anyways. In this position and with the sub added all the sound seems to come from the headphones ( sub and SR1a are perfectly integrated ) , i have to remove the headphones to realize the sub is working.

P.D Forgot to tell i crossed the sub at 40Hz in order to avoid frequencies above that intruding the ones produced by SR1a wich are very well reproduced even at 45º .

6 Likes

I’ve done it.

It’s an interesting effect, and you can get chest-thumping visceral bass this way, though not without its issues.

You still have to contend with sub-placement requirements due to room modes and other acoustic factors, which can mean possibly not being able to put the sub-woofer in a position that is optimal (phase, level, time-alignment) for where you want to listen to your headphones.

A bigger factor for me personally is that I use headphones for high-quality listening when I can’t use my speaker rig. And anytime I could use a sub-woofer, I could run my speakers, so I wouldn’t be listening on headphones in the first place.

Though obviously that’s different if you don’t have a speaker rig, but can run a sub whenever you want to listen.

For me, it was just easier (and more effective) to apply EQ to the SR1a if I want more bass. I did that initially, though in normal listening I don’t anymore. The only exception being if I’m listening to a piece that warrants the wings set wider than usual, and that has enough low-frequency content that it’s worth flipping on a bass-shelf EQ profile.

It’s fun experiment either way.

10 Likes

Yesterday, I auditioned Raal SR1a and Abyss Phi CC headphones at home of my pal.

I brought 3 CDs that I am familiar with to test tonality, focus, soundstage and dynamics.

I started with SR1a using Chord Blu2 and Dave as source and Chord Etude amplifier to drive it.

It remind me of Apogee Duetta Signature driven by Krell KSA 150 from 1989 to 1999 which use ribbon as well as Sr1a.

It sounds fast and open.

One may adjust the soundstage by moving headcup around.

But I feel comfortable with headcup in the middle.

The only nitpick is that it did not go very deep.

Duetta also went around 35hz but with enough impact.

The same thing apply to SR1a.

Schitt had made dedicated amplifier for Sr1a called "Jotunheim R. " priced at 800$.

My pal tested Jotunheim R. to give more full bass than Etude.

I will try out Sr1a and Jotunheim R. next year at my home.

I also tested same CDs on Abyss Phi CC connected directly with Dave.

This is my first encounter with Abyss headphones.

It gives excellent transparent sound with well defined spatial cues and nice timber.

But Dave is under powered to drive Abyss Phi CC with not much bass slam.

As I searched the thread of Abyss Phi CC I found that it need nice amp which may cost 5k$ or more.

Updated Abyss Phi TC is known to give more details, clear bass than Abyss Phi CC.

I will try out Abyss Phi TC on 2021 after setting enough budget on it.

After being back to my home, I had listened to Senheiser HD 800S and Stax 009s driven by KGSSV Carbon amplifier.

My source is Chord Dave and Mscaler almost similar to one in my pal’s place.

HD800S is not in the same league as Abyss Phi CC not enough with transparency.

But after eq with Lyngdorf 2170, it come close to Abyss Phi CC almost 90%.

Staxt 009S does not give sharp placement of instruments in 3d soundstage as Abyss Phi CC.

But Stax 009S is more musical than Abyss Phi CC with nuanced details and excellent bass slam driven by KGSSV Carbon amplifier.

I have 41 years of audio history back to 1978.

Some people ask me what is the best speaker that I had heard.

It is the vintage Western Electric big horn speaker driven by restored Western Electric amp owned by my rich friend.

But it is unobtainable and priceless ( worth more than 2 million $).

I had been happy with Lansche 4.1 since 2007.

Lansche 4.1 driven by SET amp give most palpable vocals.

Also its active bass give enough impact.

It is hard to have several speakers at home with optimal sound.

But it is rather easy to have headphones with different flavor.

I can listen to HD 800s headphone several hours without feeling discomfort.

When I go out of town, I bring Empire Zeus IEM which can be driven by Galaxy cellphone.

I also enjoy musical sound of Stax 009s driven by KGSSV Carbon amplifier.

Next year I will try out Raal Sr1a which remind me of Apogee Duetta that I had used happily from 1989 to 1999.

On 2021 I may add Abyss phi TC to my collections of headphones.

Thomas

3 Likes

Both SR1a and Abyss Phi CC give very excellent soundstage matching hd800s or better.

Thanks Thomas. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. It’s always interesting to hear other other folks take on things.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul for your kind word.

I also appreciate very much that Ian gave me occasion to audition two nice headphones…

1 Like

No worries. This is a great community to belong to.

1 Like

@VimStory: This is poor nonsense! Opinions without facts regarding Class D!