RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

Nice review.

He claims that Sr1a give more details than Stax 009s.

He prefers Sr1a to Abyss 1266 TC(p13) on overall performance.

“You can argue about the rustic look of the SR1a, but not about the tonal qualities. The SR1a is therefore not only the best headphone I’ve heard to date, but also the new heir to the throne in my personal olymp. He replaces the ABYSS AB1266 PHI TC accordingly and from now on of course takes first place in my TOP10 on Musicalhead. And of course this decision wasn’t easy for me.”

Although, I pulled the trigger for Sr1a early this month, I am out of town travelling in Asia now.

I will find out whether Sr1a give more details than Stax 009s next January after I am back to my home.

It will be nice if Jotunheim R be released before then.

2 Likes

He is not that impressed with the Jotunheim R while @Torq is though.

I would agree, the SR1a does out-resolve the Stax. The only electrostatic headphone I’d put up against the SR1a is the HE90 (fed with the HEV90), and the SR1a still has advantages.

I would also agree. The AB-1266 TC has better, or rather more extended and elevated, bass than the SR1a, but you can EQ the SR1a’ bass to within a couple of percent of the TC, and the SR1a is comfortably ahead everywhere else.

I’ll never get to read his actual comments about the Jotunheim R (or anything else), since I died of old age while waiting for the PDF to load.

9 Likes

RIP Torq. Join me in my anti-PDF crusade in his memory!

Damn you Adobe!

6 Likes

Down with ADOBE PDF!! Why!! Why!

2 Likes

Some Schiit snippets from that review

1 Like

If he’s having trouble reaching the limits of output level with the SR1a and the “Weldenheim” then he’s either using an earlier prototype or is feeding it with something that has a non-standard output level.

Jotunehim R, with any standard DAC (including the Internal card versions), will blow your ears off.

As for the AIC10 … I’m sure its nice with the SR1a if you don’t play a lot of music that has lots of very low frequency content and listen at lower levels. It’s a pretty mellow piece. I would expect it to deliver somewhat exaggerated and loose bass too.

Not really surprising that a $13,000 tube-hybrid is smoother than a $799 solid-state amplifier. But I certainly wouldn’t describe the Jotunheim R as brittle.

8 Likes

I always take reviews / impressions with a big grain of salt regardless if they come from casual posters or professional reviewers. We all hear differently, value different sonic traits, listen to different genres with different levels of involvement, and have different references as to what sound is the correct sound. And, like is said, “You can’t know how salty the soup is until you taste it”.

I’m driving the interface box with Ragnarok 1, fed by Yggdrasil 2, fed by AES out of my Emotiva ERC3 and CD’s connected all the way with Straightwire’s second least expensive cabling, Symphony II. And from some point in mid bass up it is the cleanest, most detailed, most accurate rendition of what I hear in the concert hall with the exception of sound staging. But it seems to pretty accurately give me mic placements which are always directly above and a little too close to the orchestra to my way of hearing it, and the mics substitute for the location of ones ears when listening to a recording. From some point in the mid bass down every bit of detail and frequency range down to 30 is easily heard, just not with the airy impact of say my 1266Phi, Utopia, HD800S or even 800, or as happens in the concert hall with the bottom range of bass drum, tuba, bassoon, and a few other instruments. But my other phones do blur the finest details. And when I engage a little Loki in the bottom range the bass is impressive if a little dry and still lacking in airy impact but definitely not brittle. That’s the trade-off at this point until I get the “R” and / or investigate other amps, but it’s one I can live with happily. Then I add in the comfort of no part of the phone touching my ears against the need to use these in a quiet ambient environment, and I’m still very happy.

I pulled out an old favorite CD of mine, Beethoven’s “Eroica” with Klemperer and the Philharmonia on EMI. This recording was made in 1959, I’ve listened to it hundreds of times over the past 5 decades (and this work at least a dozen times in the concert hall) and was amazed at the ultra-fine string textures of violas and cellos I heard coming thru the SR1a that my other phones do not delineate as well. More current recordings may have an overall edge on transparency but this was made 70 years ago and it still amazes me.

If I didn’t listen to music past Wagner I’d say these are as close to perfect as it gets. But I really like and focus on the post Wagnerian composers the most. Oh well, LOL! (I do listen to Jazz and classic Rock but not with the “dog on point” focus I give classical).

None of the gear I’ve ever owned or heard at length, including many systems I could never begin to afford, get everything right to my way of hearing it. But the SR1a seems to encompass everything I value sonically but that last 3% at the bottom. And I will continue to chase that last 3% because that’s the very definition of an audiophile, and that’s what we do.

13 Likes

I am going to be back to my home on Dec 30th and expect to get SR1a on either 30th or 31st.

If Jotunheim R is available by then, I will try to drive Sr1a with it.

Otherwise, I will try to drive Sr1a with Rogue Cronus Magnum II (100W) fitted with Nos tubes.

I have Lyngdorf 2170 in the digital chain so I may try some Eq if necessary.

My Dac is Dave and HMS.

I will also do comparison between Sr1a and Stax 009s.

It is still two weeks away.

:grinning:

5 Likes

@FLTWS - do you know if that version of “Eroica” is available streaming anywhere? I’d like to check it out (though I don’t have a SR1a handy…)

I am CD only, no streaming, downloads or vinyl so I am unfamiliar with services that do classical. At one point a year or two ago I investigated them but the lack of coverage coupled with the fact that I already own over 2,500 CD’s convinced me to stay the course with the silver discs. The possibility to store these to a hard drive has crossed my mind but cataloging would be a nightmare, especially when it comes to discs with multiple works by multiple composers.

Amazon shows this 59’ recording in a number of compilations and reissues on CD and even some vinyl last time I checked, because it has stood the test of time, so has his Brahms 1st, and all of his Brahms for that matter. This is big band classical period; rich, muscular, monumental. The opposite of the “authentic” original instruments school like Norrington, etc. While I can appreciate it both ways I prefer the former style of interpretation.

You could check Amazon for a cheap used copy on CD just for a listen. I’ve had good success over the years with used on Amazon of hard to get issues.

2 Likes

This is the one, mine has a different cover however

1 Like

@FLTWS — If you enjoy CDs and it’s all working, I’d just stick with that format.
I have some ripped CDs and downloads on Audirvana, which is a great player (fortunate to have one laptop that still has a CD drive), and cataloging is automatic — you could use something like that and add a few favorites, for me it’s just aconvenient because it ties to Tidal, which I use mostly.

Thanks for the info on the CD, I’ve read that the EMI version sounds a lot better than the others available.

1 Like

Jason just posted his year end wrap-up for Schiit and here are 2 Jot “R” snippets.

Jotunheim R almost made it this year, and it’s literally the first and only headphone amp designed to drive ultra-low-impedance ribbon headphones. (We’re talking 0.2-0.4 ohms here, basically a screwdriver.) When it appears, it will eliminate the need for speaker amps and interface boxes to run the Raal/Requisite SR1a.”

Jotunheim R. We’ll be shipping Jotunheim R in January. A slight miss from “before the end of the year,” but please excuse us for being a bit busy. Tyler asked me if this was the fastest product development cycle in Schiit history, and I let him know it’s actually #2—the fastest being the original Lyr. But hey, when you’re in a garage it’s fairly easy to move fast. The fact that we turned this one on a dime—during the busiest year for product intros in our history—is plenty good. Expect a full chapter on this one when it launches.”

Full write up here;

7 Likes

In a late night listening session with the SR1a…hands down I’ve not heard ANY headphones that surpass the clarity, detail retrieval, bass texture, detail and extension of these bad (or maybe good) boys. I tried to do some “A/B” “against” both the Utopia and Verite Closed and both sounded like a deep disappointment, specially on the clarity/resolution department. The SR1a is so disruptive that I don’t find a good reason to keep the Utopia and the ONLY reason to keep the Verite Closed is because they’re closed and that’s the best performance I can currently get from a full sized pair of headphones at work. IEMs can be “cumbersome” specially if people are constantly walking into your office. I still need to understand people that feel that these are bass light - they’re bass neutral.

The bar is way too high at the moment in my books - let’s wait to see what HEDDphone One has to offer!

10 Likes

I don’t know if anyone here is familiar with the Focal Elex sub bass clipping, I want to know how similar the SR1A extrusion limit compared to the Elex.

Around 92 dB listening the Elex would clip while playing ~third of my orchestral tracks and it was why I sold them.

I don’t know if ribbons extrude, per se.

I am new on this forum … but I really like to see that all replies on the thread these last months I have read are without any point of aggressiveness just good feelings and motivated advices .
I was very impressed by 3 threads, which have whetted my curiosity.
Actually, I am using Electrostatic headphones
=> a Kingsound KS-H4 + M10 + MiniDSP HA-DSP at office,
=> for a quite long time a Stax SR-003 + CES-A1 + Kingsound M03 for travel (Trains/Planes)
=> and for a year a Ultrasone ed 15 Veritas (Travel) which is more or less replacing a Sony Z7M2 (used at home) …
My dac’s are actually exclusively “transportable” with a Sony WMA1 (by far the best for my use with a real integrated GEQ even when used as a simple DAC (for Tidal/Qobuz purposes through my Iphone Xsmax) and not only for files player like android systems), Hiby R6Pro and a Fiio M9 (finally mostly used as DACs combined with the minidsp MA-DSP).
I don’t really care with harman or so on curves, as my listening taste seems to be, after all, more or less a rather flat frequency response (as far it can be without noticeable distorsions, every time I equalize a system with minidsp ears and HA-DSP).

Actually, I am more or less evaluating the interest to introduce a dedicated system in my living room just beside my arm chair … I can basically put a DAC, Amp and EQ (to try to be as possible coherent between my headphones with frequency responses) => so in this forum, I am concerned directly with three systems which seem to be already evaluated very deeply and with very interesting returns => The Myshere 3, this RAAL SR1A with the Jotunheim R (to come) and with less returns but very promising Heddphone … I would also be concerning also my taste by deep returns of the SR-007MKII or SR-009S. Basically, volume and weight shouldn’t be a real issue in my case (as I am deeply sitting in an comfortable armchair).

As I read the users returns here, I really like the idea of a larger distance between the phone diaphragms and the auditory canal like it seems to be with the Heddphone and the SR1A, with no real idea if it really helps to enlarge the sound or just creates more unwanted reflection in the cans at the expense of clarity (I suppose not with the SR1/Mysphere3 as they are not real cans).
I am sorry to be so long and with an approximative english (as it is not at all my native language) but, I really hope, some here, will be able to spend a time with the Heddphone and the SR1A together (and hopefully include a SR009S or SR007MKII) to tell us more about strengths and issues of those standalone systems.
I am not alone at home and I am living in not a really quite ambiance (with computer, 10GBSwitch and a NAS) so the Heddphone with a “rather closer” system than SR1A or Mysphere3, looks an interesting concept for me… but … for my home, I really would like a real step in listening files or Qobuz from what I am using at office and during transportations… Budget of course is not totally free, but not an insurmountable issue in those systems.
I really hope this thread will stay alive and be enlarged to other comparisons, as the SR1A + Jotunheim R seems to be the most coherent system in those days at this level of price.
Sorry to have been so long … but many months I was reading and following those threads and waiting to register.

5 Likes

Howdy!

I’m not the one to answer your questions though. Sorry.

2 Likes

I’ve been on a steady diet of SR1a since I got them late Oct. and I think I listen on average 3 to 5 hours say 5 days a week.
Some observations;

1. The ribbon itself benefits from some hours of play time, I expect a little bit of break-in time on conventional cone / dome and planar drivers but didn’t think the ribbon would be affected much. But I sense smoother highs (and down into the upper reaches of the midrange) with less bite especially on poorly recorded source material.
  2. The bass is more satisfying, I’d still like a little more oomph and air on the bottom for big bass drums and a few other orchestra instruments, but it seems much improved over “out of the box”. Or maybe my ears / brain, are / is, adjustment is happening.
  3. I’ve been running both SE and balanced out of my Yggdrasil into my Ragnarok 1, (soon to be replaced with a Ragnarok 2), and while a twist of the 20 Hz knob on my Loki in SE gives me that air, the sound seems a hair more transparent and alive driven balanced.

After “R” is adequately burned-in it goes upstairs to start comparison listening versus my other phones (Phi, Utopia, HD800 & 800S). While I know the differences will be substantial, with such a long break from listening to them I expect to have differences hit me right between the ears without subtlety or straining to hear them and easily identifiable.

4 Likes