RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

I’ll be doing a direct comparison between the SR1a, MySphere and HEDDphone, once my HEDDphone set arrives. Though I will probably do a stream-of-consciousness review on the HEDDphone first (my comments on the SR1a in general are all through the above thread, and there’s another for the MySphere as well).

I won’t be including the SR007 MKI or MKII nor the SR009S in that comparison as the SR1a beat all three sufficiently convincingly for me to not want to spend more time with them. The electrostatic’s I’ve tried to date simply don’t carry the weight or impact I want to be useful as an all-genre headphone - and the electrostatics weren’t any faster or more resolving either (I’d make an exception for the HE90 - i.e. the original Orpheus … but that’s the only one I’d be interested in personally at this point).

I might circle back and do a write-up of just the SR1a vs. the current STAX flagships at some point in the near-ish future … but that’ll be dependent on how much else I can get done before I sail off into the sunset.

5 Likes

It’s funny but I last owned Stax back in the late 80’s (MKIII and Lambda) and I suspect the sound hasn’t changed all that much compared to the way the SR1a made a change in the listening experience compared to my other current phones and the ones I rented / auditioned but never bought starting in early 2016.

1 Like

I’m familiar with what Focal have said about it (it shouldn’t occur below 105 dB for a start), but despite owning the entire Focal lineup (at the same time), I’ve never actually been able to reproduce it.

Regardless, there is no excursion limiter on the SR1a. You can’t make them “clip” (headphones don’t do that anyway, at most they run out of excursion and distort, or hit their limiter if there is one … which is rare).

If you overdrive the SR1a you’ll stretch the ribbons - which is not something you want to do (you’ve damaged them at that point).

But if it helps, one of the first things I did with my SR1a was to see how close I could get their bass performance to the Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC. While this required a fairly substantial EQ boost, especially in the sub-bass, I was able to get to about 98% of what the Abyss do (level and impact wise), while retaining more detail, texture and speed.

I have had no issues with the SR1a running them that way even at, shall we say, ill-advised listening levels and I’ve been doing that for months now.

3 Likes

With Loki I felt it very close to my Phi but still a hair less transparent in SE than balanced and directly into the interface. “R”, “R”, wherefore art thou, “R”.

A balanced, big boys Loki would be interesting too, but, first things first, let’s hear what “R” can accomplish, I’m anticipating good things.

I also suspect listeners impressions of how things sound align significantly more than at what levels they listen at. One listener’s loud could be another listeners inadequate. And stating db’s may be confusing; how measured and specifics like distance of mike to meter, or is it a guesstimate? , with what equipment?, under what conditions?, etc.

1 Like

Well, any comparisons done at different listening levels will skew tonal perception significantly (loudness contours) and reliably. That’s before taking into account any other differences or preferences.

Which is one reason why I do my reviews at a consistent listening level, and all of my comparisons are level-matched. It’s the same level I measure at too … 84 dB @ 300 Hz.

Differences in listening levels, as well as a reviewers not knowing their own hearing profile and readers not knowing there’s (so they have no way to know how to interpret any differences) are likely responsible for more disagreements in headphone evaluations than even personal preference.

3 Likes

Thank you for your clear reply … Till now, I was following your posts particularly for the SR1A et the Mysphere … That’s why I posted on this thread my “request”. I guess, that we can expect same level of informations from you when the HEDDPhone will be seriously on your head (in a short time we hope).

So for people like me, who have no chance to compare such headphones simultaneously, your analysis are rather precious before spending such amount of money.

For electrostatic headphones, with the KS-H4 and M10, I am not really in trouble with any type of music (after some EQ) and high level sound even compared to the 39,7 ohms impedance of the closed Ultrasone Ed 15 Veritas for Electro, Metal and Rap. I was still hoping latest Stax (SR007 or SR009) would be in better shape for resolving tons of details without noticeable distortion than what you’re explaining.

But, after reading some serious SR1A feedbacks, it’s, basically, exactly what I am hoping => we can expect a real step forward with those 2 or 3 headphones (SR1A, Mysphere and possibly HEDDphone) from a low to middle range headphones I am using this last 2 years.

3 Likes

I think Loki is a great little EQ solution, but I do my EQ either via EQuilibrium or using the EQ DSP function in Roon, which allows for a LOT more control and precision. It’s particularly the case when trying to bring up the extreme sub-bass with the SR1a.

1 Like

The SR007 and SR009S are certainly highly resolving/detailed, and there’s no notable distortion vs. the SR1a. I do feel the SR1a out resolves them both. It’s actually more in the body/weight and impact/slam to the music that the SR1a really runs away with the show vs. the STAX trio (for me).

I’d rank the SR1a above the MySphere, but the MySphere is the closest I’ve been able to get to the SR1a without the need for dedicated amplification.

HEDDphone is going to be interesting, particularly where I’ve not heard it before at all.

3 Likes

For those anxiously awaiting the release of Jotunheim R, it seems the production boards have arrived at Schiit, so assuming they’re correct things are very close now!

8 Likes

Two questions: assuming “normal” listening volume, how much ambient sound would be apparent to someone else, say 15- 20’ away in the same large room? How much difference would the position of the baffles make? Compared, for example, to one of the open back planars from Audeze? Need to consider spouse impact.

Second, my listening chair is a high back recliner, I don’t expect to use them reclining, but upright there will only be about 3 inches between the back of my head and the chair. A possible issue?

2 Likes

If “normal” is 80-85 dB, they’ll hear everything … likely to the point they can sing along with the lyrics. If I leave them playing on a stand in my office, I can hear them in the kitchen, which is around two corners and one hallway.

Effectively none.

They leak more than, say, the LCD-4.

Should be fine, if your head is vertical. They baffles are not so deep (front to back) that they line up with the back of my head. So any space beyond that is a bonus.

5 Likes

At 85db I can easily hear the SR1a from down the hall in my other room and in our bedroom… let me try with one door closed…shutting the door, and I can’t hear them in the bedroom anymore… shutting both the door in the room the bedroom door, and I can’t hear them in the bedroom anymore…this is about 30’ away.

@Torq has already answered the rest :wink:

5 Likes

I saw Currawong on YT say multiple times that the SR1A had the best bass macro dynamics he ever listen to on a pair of headphones, is that true? how this quality compared to other headphones?.

They do for me.

As well as the best bass texture, detail, delineation/articulation and speed.

Next stop you’d looking at the Abyss and the HEDDphone.

And with a bit of EQ they’ll deliver almost the same bass quantity as headphones like the AB-1266 Phi CC, LCD-4, Meze Empyrean and HE-6 (I’d put them about 98% of Abyss here, with proper EQ and a suitable amplifier).

6 Likes

Jot R story!

6 Likes

I can’t thank you enough Torq, but thanks a lot for all what you do <3

6 Likes

Well, I’m not quite going to wrap up my SR1a review today. It’s been in the works for about six months as it is, mostly due to little additional things I wanted to include trickling out. Some of this was additional amplifiers I wanted to include with it, and then it was other headphones, like the MySphere sneaking in.

And then Jotunheim R became a thing so I incorporated that, and then on the heels of that going to production status the HEDDphone arrived …

So there’s a lot in there, assembled over a protracted period - which does have the advantage that I’m well beyond “new toy syndrome” with the SR1a.

Anyway, another day(ish) to finish coverage on the latest pieces don’t seem like a big deal given how long it has been already.

12 Likes

Ian, @Torq

You have done and continue to do amazing ‘work’ for this community, not to mention all of the members you have helped. So take the time you need to make the review right. We will all understand and look forward to reading it when you are able to finish it.

8 Likes

@Torq now that the Jotunheim R is out I have been close to going ahead and buying it and the SR1a’s to use at my home work desk. My desk is L shaped and I definitely don’t keep my head completely still while working and listening. I am often swiveling, turning my head and sometimes tilting forward.

Sound leakage is not a problem. My impression so far is that the SR1a’s work best for a listener who sits upright and doesn’t move his or her head because the phones can shift affecting sound.

Could you speak to your experience with the stability of the SR1a on the head? I have read several posts where listeners have had problems. Sure, I know I could buy and try and have the return window to send back if they did not work for me but I don’t like to inconvenience a dealer if there is a good chance the SR1a’s might not be for me. Thanks for your thoughts.

2 Likes

I’ve never had an issue with them moving around when I turn my head or look around, nor in the normal course of looking down (to the extent I do that at my desk or in my listening chair).

I am not making any conscious or specific accommodations for them, I just wear them and they are more than stable enough for my environment.

If you have issues in leaning forward … they include a strap that goes around the back of your head to prevent/limit them moving forward in this case. I don’t personally use it, as they fit so well for me without it that a) I can’t feel them after about a minute and b) they do not move around on my head at all within the confines of what movements I do naturally make.

As a “test” of sorts, glancing straight down at the desk immediately in front of me (head tilted about 45 degrees forward) doesn’t make them move for me. At ~90 degrees (i.e. as far as I can tilt my head forward before my chin stops me) they may shift a bit, but not always … unless I also stand up, walk, or shift suddenly in my chair at the same time. I can’t imagine what I’d be doing where that actually occurred in my everyday listening, however. And if it did, I’d use the back-strap.

5 Likes