RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

Heh, that may have been me and my previous attempts to de-link my T2 reference. Leaving it in this time for fun!

1 Like

Very interesting, and it makes sense. For me, the SR1a’s are the most realistic representation of music in an accurate spacial stage, that I have heard. Perhaps it is a brain-training effect, but I have noticed that my hearing appears to have become slightly more acute recently. I’m not sure if it is a result of listening to low-distortion, high-resolution music on the SR1a’s, but the timing of this phenomonon parallels my acquisition of these “earfield monitors”.

1 Like

Cue to recommend Volume Control, both the NPR interview and the book. Both for hearing protection through life, and for understanding the subtle effects of hearing loss, including on spatial localization.

More than just hearing changes with age, :laughing:.
And a poster whose name I recognize from that other site.

Regarding this statement:
“I finally got a chance to build the cables prototypes I wanted to try for the standard * RAAL-requisite Amp/Ribbon Interface and SR1a.” and a few others mentioning the standard Amp/Ribbon Interface.

I use a Jot R and am curious if it is as sensitive to cable impedance as the standard interface box? I’ve read the whole thread and find no mention of it.

Thank you!!

2 Likes

Thanks to the awesome guys at Headphones.com, I finally received my SR1a! What grabbed me the most is the depth of the sound stage & separation which is more pronounced when compared to my other phones.

I was using the built in DAC of the Jotunheim-R which did a good job, however, once I connected the Jot-R to the Hugo TT2, the SR1as transformed even further. The notes are much more weighted, and the soundstage expanded even more in all directions. Such an awesome experience! :smiley:

14 Likes

That’s a pretty amazing setup that I bet sounds fantastic.

Congratulations. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Thank you very much! :smiley:

1 Like

No, not as far as I can tell.

The standard interface box achieves its step-baffle compensation passively, with the SR1a and its cable all part of the compensation circuit - which makes its contribution to the final compensation profile significant enough to be audible.

The Jotunheim R performs that compensation actively ahead of the output stage, so the cable isn’t part of that compensation circuit.

3 Likes

Thank you @Torq for the details.

Perhaps the reason why I hear a difference between my first setup DV2-AMP-SR1a and the second one with Jotunheim-R+internal DAC or DV2-SR1a where I feel a light bass veil/layer ‘added’ to the sound comparatively to my first rig.

The setup:

11 Likes

Great collection. :+1:t4:

Thanks for clarifying that!

If you can’t find toilette paper to buy…

0324201533_HDR by drjlo2, on Flickr

5 Likes

It really doesn’t matter, does it? Even if you found TP, there’s no money left.

3 Likes

This looks like a family of three, SR1a being the son (way more competent than both parents btw), SR-009 the mother and 1266 the father. Awesome collection, at this level, one might wonder if it can get any better.

2 Likes

needs more purple paint on the wall… :wink:

1 Like

I am surprised that more is not discussed about Raal SR1a’s baffle step correction issues.
I understand this baffle step correction is being applied by Raal’s interface box and Schiit Jot R.

RaalBaffleStep by drjlo2, on Flickr

Note that up to -4.2 dB of correction is being applied. Since doubling of amplifier power increases acoustic power by +3 dB, baffle step correction is effectively hobbling the amp’s power by more than half. Note how many people have complained their “powerful” amp is not up to task when using Raal’s interface box. I am not sure if Jot R’s baffle step correction uses a different method than the interface box, thus not resulting in as much power loss, but either power loss and/or transparency loss must be giving the impression of better SQ when Jot R’s baffle step correction is turned off.

Jot R is a great pairing with SR1a for most music, but when cranking up (WAY up) alternative/progressive rock like my faves Rasmus and Muse, the dynamic ceiling and/or loss of transparency/life could be felt. When baffle step was turned off, I could feel the SQ and liveliness of music improve quite a bit. Of course, this results in LOSS of bass by 4+ dB’s, resulting in mid/highs sounding exceptionally free and dynamic while overall sound becomes severely thin and bright.

This will hopefully improve when Raal releases their premium amp, or an improved interface box is used with seriously powerful and clean (read expensive) amps.

Since my custom speaker setup lets me use just the bass modules via active crossover. I utilized Jot R’s passive preamp output to feed my bass amp/bass modules while playing Raal full range. To blend the Raal bass with speaker bass, much experimentation including where you sit was necessary (very near the speakers). But when the sweet spot was achieved, I was able to power the Raal with Jot R baffle step correction off while bass modules filled in the missing bass. Added benefit was the physical, visceral bass vibrations that you could feel with your bones, which is a huge plus when listening to bombastic music.

I realize this is quite a complicated path, but if you already have good bass modules, it’s worth checking out.

0324201855a by drjlo2, on Flickr

8 Likes

I think every proper review I have read has talked about the curve applied here.

And the effects of this wouldn’t be any different if they were simply an intrinsic part of the headphone’s response. You either apply the extra power to raise that level, or you use some form of EQ to do it (which is effectively reducing the overall level you need to get a specific frequency at a specific SPL) - in this case the EQ is the passively implemented interface box.

It’s an active stage in the Jotunheim R vs. the passive compensation in the RAAL interface.

I don’t hear better SQ with the correction turned off on the Jotunheim, instead I get an unpleasantly bright response. Historically, people have tended to correlate brighter signatures with more detail/transparency … an effect that goes away if you pay attention and have suitable controls in place.

As for running speakers to reinforce the bass on headphones; a fair few people do it. I don’t understand why, myself, in most cases … since if I was able to run my speakers for bass content, I’d just … well … run my speakers and listen to those instead.

I can see it if one has better headphones than they do speakers, otherwise my use-case for headphones is specifically for when I can’t run my speakers at levels I want to. If I can, it’s speaker listening all the way.

7 Likes

Hi,

Agree with @Torq that when speakers are on better listen to speakers.

What I would suggest like other SR1a aficionados is to avoid EQ and insert a subwoofer to get this missing low basses feeling (ear and physical waves).

2 Likes

I wonder if this active circuit is something that can be implemented in tube amps.
Normal Jot is rated to 7.5 watts/16 Ohms. IF it COULD deliver power into 8 Ohms, it would have similar output rating as something like a 300B SET amp, which are typically 8-10 watts/8 Ohms.

Being curious, I hooked up SR1a to my Elekit TU-8600R 300B SET speaker amp even though I know Raal recommends at least 100 watts. The amp immediately started to clip even at pretty low volume levels, at levels you would use if someone was sleeping in the room right next to you.

However, when I changed the interface box to the amp’s higher impedance speaker tap, the allowable volume level increased significantly. Playing mostly vocal music like Leonard Cohen “You Want It Darker,” I was able to achieve volume levels I would use if somebody was sleeping, say 5 feet away. Still way, way below normal listening levels but just enough to begin to hear that 300B texture and richness. And as 300B afacionados know, it was MAGIC.

Perhaps companies like Woo, Eddie Current would be willing to at least contemplate about such an amp as Raal sells more ribbon headphones in the future and demand goes up. I can hope…

0325201443a - Copy by drjlo2, on Flickr

1 Like