RME ADI-2 DAC fs - Official Thread

That is the most common arrangement, yes.

I don’t notice a great deal of difference TBH.

1 Like

If balanced is a must you can consider the DNA Stellaris with audio note balance input transformer but it’s gonna cost you more than the wa33 and you’ll need to wait a while for it to be build. I’m currently running a starlett off from my adi 2 and it’s fantastic. DNA might not match planar as it does dynamic drivers.

I don’t think balance is a must unless you are planning to upgrade to a pro dac like the dangerous source which only outputs through xlr. With the adi2 rca is adequate and there are many fantastic tube amp around the 2-3k range.

2 Likes

That’s still a single-ended amplifier.

All you’re doing is adding an unnecessary step (the input transformer) vs. just using single-ended outputs and inputs.

The only reasons to use a balanced connection to the Stellaris, or any other internally single-ended amplifier, is if a) you only have balanced outputs on your source and/or b) you need balanced connections due to a long cable run or other electrical issues.

1 Like

I looked up the DecWare Zen Taboo MKIV and I like it:

What makes an amp steampunk versus its competitors? The dual analog meters and the chicken head knobs?

Despite their practicality, I’d have a hard time choosing the chicken heads for a luxury product. I have too many flashbacks to guitar amp conventions and ancient DIY metal box projects that often favored them.

DecWare’s knob options:

6 Likes

That is a nice looking amp. Meters are retro cool.

1 Like

@agent_goldenfox , this was stated or implied by @Torq and others in their responses, but it’s worth restating, because this comes up a lot:

Don’t buy an amp because you think balanced is better, unless you have a use case where balanced is truly better, e.g. due to a long cable run or other electrical issues.

So buy a Taboo because it looks/sounds cool, not because it’s balanced.

Also, in case you missed it in Torq’s response, note that the Taboo has separate left/right channel controls, which may not matter to you, but was a deal-breaker for me when I was looking into it.

7 Likes

I have the adi2 pro (Be edition) .Can someone please help me with confirming if using the device balanced headphone out should always sound mono? My settings: mono-to the left, width-1.0, balance-0, balanced headphone-on plus I already did factory reset, is there something am not doing correctly with the settings?

No.

You do NOT turn on any mono modes/settings at all, if you do of course you’ll get mono.

All you need to set under Options, Phones is Bal Phones Mode to either Auto or On. I leave it in Auto. Then, when you connect a properly configured pair of 1/4 TRS jacks to the front, you’ll get proper, balanced, stereo output.

3 Likes

I have a properly configured cable for this purpose its the norne audio draug 3 which i also used balanced with my previous device mytek dac+ no problem. The thing is with balanced phone on and mono off the sound that comes from this setting is not proper i.e only instruments no voices and bass the only way i get sound from balanced connection is if mono is set to the left and with it i get only mono sound but not so using it as single ended connection but my only long cable is the balanced one and I need it. Can you please check for your balanced connection where your settings is at for mono?

The cable needed to get balanced output from the 1/4" jacks on Mytek devices is wired COMPLETELY differently than what is needed for the RME ADI-2 Pro DAC FS R BE.

You absolutely NEED a different cable; the one you have will NOT work.

While both cables use a pair of 1/4" TRS jacks, that’s where the similarities end. The Mytek wiring has R+/L+ on the right/red plug and R-/L- on the left/black plug. For the RME (see Chapter 18/Page 43) you need R+/R- on the right plug (PH 1/2) and L+/L- on the left plug (PH 3/4).

No Mono settings are required.

4 Likes

Wow what an intelligent response I couldn’t have figured this out on my own. Any recommendation where I can get this connection?

1 Like

Trevor at Norne could build you one (or possibly alter the cable you have). You’d just need to tell him what device it is for (or point him here if he doesn’t know).

Failing that, Corpse Cable sell a cable specifically for this purpose. And Dyson Audio also make an RME-specific cable now too. That said, I’ve never used cables from either company so don’t take this as a recommendation or endorsement.

4 Likes

@emmanuelpalmer24, Moon Audio has one as well.

But like @Torq suggested, I’d probably just email Trevor at Norne. He does excellent work and I’d prefer to purchase from a smaller business.

Cheers.

1 Like

I have a Focal balanced cable from Dyson Audio and it’s certainly better than the factory cables for comfort. It has held up for a couple years, and I don’t hear any differences in quality versus factory.

1 Like

Cant appreciate you enough all I can say is. You are the G.O.A.T

Received my RME ADI-2 DAC FS today. Just got it sorta set up. First impressions: holy hell you guys weren’t wrong about the menu system :smiley: It’s even more german than my old Audi’s in car interface :smiley:

Really impressed about the sound compared to my old iFi Micro iDSD. Sounds more tight and things are better in place in the music. :notes:

3 Likes

Read the manual… it is probably the best manual I e read… mostly cause it’s one of the only ones lol! But it is that good!

1 Like

Yea I already browsed it before I even got the device. I’ll have to admit, it’s a proper one!

1 Like

Ha. I happen to think Audi has among the best interfaces and dashboard/cockpit layouts.

1 Like