Rock/Metal music discussion

Oh I agree, but there are exceptions. Dave Mustaine is still ripping it, and he even had to learn to play guitar all over again due to nerve damage in his arm. Iron Maiden, at least through the mid 2010’s, were still cranking out bangers. I think it’s more about the desire of the individual to continue greatness than it is just growing older. Where there’s a will there’s a way…and in this case, Kirk’s will and/or desires have changed. But that’s okay- we still have the first five albums to enjoy.

1 Like

This guy’s channel is great - everything very thought out, he covers a lot of obscure and underground gems. If you’re a fan of early 80s metal and 70s proto, and the new bands that sound like they’re from the early 80s, check it out.

3 Likes

Might be a little more on the hardcore side, but I love a gritty hook. Give this a whirl!

This one is also pretty fun! The guitar tone is sharrp.

3 Likes

3 Likes

And yet I really enjoyed this and hoped some of it would creep in to the new Metallica album. Sadly it didn’t happen.

Metallica were a hugely important band to me, especially around And Justice and me being 17 and just starting to open my ears to other types of music. I’ve tried every album since in hope but, alas, hasn’t quite happened.

I really enjoyed the last Megadeth album, Mustaine’s voice is getting worse and someone ordered some extra cheese on the lyrics but he still gets some great songs, without losing melody, better than most. Great band behind him as well at the moment.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give this a listen. Thanks!

I’ve been playing “Remember Me” for a few weeks now, and i think I posted it a few pages ago. I’m really enjoying that band.

2 Likes

This is absolutely devastating me ATM.

2 Likes

So what headphones are you guys rocking for your headbanging?

Focal Elegia and Denon AH-D5200 are my preference for metal, although the Senn ie300 for IEMs do a really good job.

2 Likes

Audeze LCD-X 2021, with a nice bass shelf for that kick drum effect.

1 Like

Fostex T60rp with ZMF suede pads!

1 Like

Break downs must be amazing

This and the lcd2’s keep popping up. What do people mean by the “bass shelf”

The low low shelf frequently mentioned is a boost to the frequencies below the chosen cutoff frequency; you could also reduce the frequencies rather than boost if you’re so inclined.

Here is an example of a 4 dB bass shelf boost applied at 100Hz to the Meze Empyrean (purple is stock and orange is with the low shelf boost).

1 Like

Modhouse Argon takes it up another notch! :laughing:
In my case T50RP Mk II conversion… He has a T60RP version too.

2 Likes

Dust Bolt… what an odd name for a band…what a kick ass thrash band!!! This reminds me of the late 80s thrash I used to listen to. Bits of Sacred Reich, Nuclear Assault, Suicidal Tendancies, and Death. Love the Evil Dead cover.

1 Like

Have to check that out this weekend.

1 Like

Hey @eric75, thanks for this rec. Like you said, this is some old-school thrashy goodness!!! :+1:

1 Like