Rock/Metal music discussion

1 Like

Just saw these guys live,
Gorguts and ulcerate vibe.

Sunless "Ylem" (Full Album Stream) - YouTube

1 Like

Iā€™ve literally based my audio chIn on rather or not it can play bleed well. As far as open backs go.

1 Like

These guys are unreal.

3 Likes

Very much agreed. I love the eclectic styles that just work. Every movement is different from the last and these long songs hold my interest.

The other day I discovered Currents. They sound like Linkin Park mixed with a death, black metal band without the rap, and with semi-uplifting lyrics. Iā€™ve had this track on repeat for a few days. Album drops on May 5th

Anyone given this some ear-time yet? What are your thoughts? Iā€™ve listened to it 4 times through thus farā€¦some things I like, some I donā€™t.

1 Like

Iā€™ve listened to it once through and the track I keep coming back to is Chasing Light. I enjoy the major/minor shifting mid-phrase, as if Hetfield took some inspiration from Alice in Chains.

I like it, but I donā€™t love it yet. I donā€™t think any Metallica album will live up to Master of Puppets for me, as i loved the wall of sound they created, almost like an orchestra. I mean, Master of Puppets (the track) sure sounds like it was inspired by Beethovenā€™s 5th, but I suspect a lot of that sound was Burtonā€™s influence.

Then again, I also loved St. Anger and the sound of Larsā€™ snares so Iā€™m in the minority. The bell-like overtones are really cool on a TOL headphone system. looks at DCA Stealth on the web and stalks them

Uh ā€¦what was I talking about? Oh yeah. 72 Seasons. It will grow on me. I havenā€™t heard it in Atmos yet. Is that screenshot from Apple Music @Nuance?

1 Like

Amazon Music HD.

Nothing Metallica releases will ever live up to Puppets.

3 Likes

@Nuance - except maybe Ride the Lightning.

1 Like

LOL, I was about to post the same thing. I rate them about equally, but ā€˜Creeping Deathā€™ may be the tie breaker for Ride The Lightning to get my vote.

Actually, I love the whole run from Kill 'Em All to the Black Album and canā€™t think of many other bands whose first 5 albums are at the same level of excellence.

4 Likes

Lightening is my number 2 for sure. So close to Puppets - they could almost be interchangeable for me. Master of Puppets and Creeping Death are my two favorites songs, easily.

1 Like

@PaisleyUnderground and @Nuance - I meant more Ride the Lightning as the album to stand up to Puppets the album (because I didnā€™t see that earlier ā€˜the trackā€™ note) but great song, too. CD also great.

1 Like

Symphonic Metal is having a big year so far, and these are the titles Iā€™ve bought or pre-ordered so far.

Best Of: Living the Dream

Beyond The Black

Dark Waters

The Wonders Still Awaiting

The Awakening

Chapter III - Downfall

And coming May 26th:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been through it at least 20 times since its release. Thereā€™s something about it that keeps me coming back. If you took the name Metallica off the cover I think it would get way more attention than it does now. Us hardcore fans struggle to accept anything less than classic 80s Metallica. But if I stop holding it to the puppets light itā€™s actually really entertaining. I think theyā€™ve refined their new sound that developed from the last two albums. Itā€™s not classic Metallica but imo itā€™s still pretty good.

3 Likes

The Kamelot is excellent. Not my usual thing but came up on Tidal and gave it a try.

1 Like

Iā€™m similar to yourself, you just have to accept that us oldies arenā€™t getting the proper album to follow AJFA and just accept it. Iā€™ve actually found the album pretty good, some of the riffs are excellent, the bass is actually in the mix and Inamorata is one of the most interesting tracks they have come up with in a very long time, Hetfieldā€™s vocals are also sounding good.

A couple of tracks seem to go nowhere and, I really hate to say it, but some of Hammettā€™s solo stuff just seem a little off the shelf and predictable.

I do think, as a youtuber, their marketing and release of stuff is as slick and seamless as it gets. And I sort of admire them for it.

1 Like

Stumbled on this band, really enjoying them so far. They have an old school thrash sound, kind of a mix of Pantera and classic Sepultura. They donā€™t have a lot of solo work like the older bands, but still pretty solid metal.

1 Like

I agree on Hammettā€™s solos, theyā€™re all starting to sound the same, like heā€™s just recycling the same basic set with minor tweaks. This album continues to grow on me. I started to think it was a ā€œsafeā€ release from them, nothing offensive or out of place, but thatā€™s not fair I think. It has a strong theme, and is cleaner sounding than the last two releases, but still experiments with the arrangements and pacing. And Hetfield did nail the vocals for the most part. On Death Magnetic he seemed to be pushing the screaming factor a bit much, and on Hardwired he seemed to be looking for more rhythm/tone. Here he seems comfortable just doing himself without pushing anything. Iā€™m probably imagining all that, but I canā€™t help but think it over and over again as I listen to the last 3 albums.

1 Like

Hetfield is getting better with each release, aging like fine wine. Hammit, on the other hand, is morphing into a 90ā€™s Southern rock player. Too much ā€œwaaaah waaah waaahā€ in his solos, and his guitar sound is far too stock/clean. De-tune and dirty up that sound a little!

The album is too long IMO, with song arrangements that are all over the place. 77 minutes with odd pacing and arrangementsā€¦itā€™s too easy to get bored.

The singles they released gave me hope, but that album as a whole is meh. 2/5 for me. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

Every band/performer with a real career has a beginning, middle, and end. They are unknown until they hit it big, so we often remember the early stuff more positively than the later stuff ā€“ Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. The Beatles were an exception, where they went from being a Boy band to a Rock band as they matured.

Creative peopleā€™s middle-aged output follows from age and experience, as people have tried a lot of new things and run out of ideas, and as they lose their physical edge (personal testimony here as I get older). See ā€œThis is Spinal Tapā€ for how an older band goes ā€œjazzyā€ to cover for poor technical skills. Iā€™d be shocked if the 2020s Hammett has the fine motor skills and speed to keep up with his 1980s self.

Gratutious negative side comment: I canā€™t say that Iā€™ve listened to much from Metallica after 1989ā€™s ā€œā€¦And Justice for Allā€ and a bit of their 1990s content. I boycotted them following the circa 2000 Napster affair and havenā€™t paid much attention. Lars said he didnā€™t want Napster users to be his fans and got me and thousands of others kicked off Napster. I sold several Metallica CDs and stopped listening. But, no offense for their continuing fans.

3 Likes