Rosson Audio - RAD-0 - Official Thread

Missed this…and bumping this (even though I’m not with RAD formally anymore)

Between the RAD-0 and VC is an incredibly hard choice. My cop-out answer would be both because they both excel at different things.

2 Likes

Has anyone here ever bought B stock from Rosson?

I’m interested in how your experience was/is, and what if any blemishes you noticed?

Thanks!

Great question. I don’t know anyone who has bought a b-stock direct, I figured most people bought secondhand.

I’ll be answering my own question next week, I ordered a set of B stock from Rosson.

I don’t imagine it’s much different than getting some ZMF B stock, or most any other top tier maker. I’m sure I could have gone the used route, but these were $2100.00 from Rosson for one of the slightly less flamboyant colors.

I’ll report back…

5 Likes

Sorry to necro this after a few months -

I was wondering if the headband mod was something you’re still doing, and if not, if it was possible to provide the files so I could make one for myself?

it looks nice, wish the cans came with it haha

I am still making them. If anyone is interested please PM me.

4 Likes

These came yesterday :+1: :sunglasses:
And my 2 cents below

They are B stock, and after looking at them very closely I can see no defects or blemishes whatsoever. These are quite beautiful and my pictures really don’t do them justice. The resin cups have an iridescent 3D quality to them, and how they look changes depending on lighting and viewing angle. Rosson had 3 B stock @ $2,100 and 3 @ $2,300 when I ordered them. I picked the $2,100 one I thought most interesting, but really they’re all beautiful. Maybe the $2,100 ones have been in inventory for some time, perhaps because they don’t “pop” like some of the others? Who knows…

I’m about 6 hours in with listening to them, and so far I am really loving them. I can really see why they are sometimes called the “ZMF of planars”. The timbre and overall tuning just sounds… right. I don’t feel any need to eq anything, and bass, mids, and treble are really spot on to me. I find myself getting lost in listening to music rather than analyzing the headphone, and then I hear something that is almost startling, as in I never heard THAT before in the recording. That’s a good thing, right?

I admit I don’t have much experience with high end planars, as the ones I do have are mid range, Hifiman Sundara and DCA Aeon RT open. I do have high end dynamics though, including several ZMF opens and Focal Clear OG. The Rosson far outclasses either of my planars, and I confess I’ve never loved Hifiman.

I’ve found the Sundara fatiguing to listen to, it has too much in the treble for me. I had a similar reaction to a friend’s Arya, but it was a much less extensive listen on some unfamiliar gear (the Singxer balanced class A amp, with a BF2). That was just me though, and I definitely have not found RAD-0 to be too hot fortunately.

Source gear is Mac/Roon or Apple Music (lossless always) to Schiit Yggy OG and Burson Soloist 3X GT fwiw…

I will briefly beat a few dead horses here. Yes, clamp force is high, they are heavy, and the wart at the top of the headband (aka pad) is ridiculous. But I did get the suspension strap before the headphones arrived, thanks to Casey (@rustyrat ) and thank you to @PaisleyUnderground for recommending it :+1: :sunglasses:

But my biggest gripe is the lack of extension on the sliders that hold the cups! I had mine on max extension to fit my big fat head, and that was before I added the strap! Yikes. Now things are extremely “snug” having added the strap! You’d think Alex would have figured out that some (many?) of his customers would be guys with big fat heads! :laughing:

Anyway, I’m super pleased so far, they really are amazing headphones! I also appreciate the fact that the drivers come already burned in at 150 hours, presumably to fail test any weak ones, and have the headphone arriving sounding like it’s intended to. That’s something I wish my favorite headphone maker that starts with a “Z” would do! :wink: Well done, Rosson!

8 Likes

@robson Gorgeous cans! Amazing price! Enjoy! :grinning:

1 Like

I just had a discussion on chat with Taron, and succumbed to the lure of Rosson. I’ve ordered these:

Now have to wait for delivery as the song says - “Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a color tv. Dialing for Dollars is trying to find me. I wait for delivery each day until 3…”

10 Likes

Those are really nice, I hope you enjoy them!

I’m really liking the ones I got :+1::grin:

2 Likes

Congratulations guys! Hurray for more Rosson owners out in the wild!

1 Like

I got the RAD X ALO cable for mine, it brings an even greater sense of clarity and resolution compared to the stock cable.

It is definitely not inexpensive, but you can of course spend lots more. It’s silver plated OFC 4 strand wiring, and build quality is quite nice. The cable is also a bit more manageable than the stock, but not as flexible as ZMF Lektrik cables if you are familiar with those…

You will have to email to purchase one, they are kind of special order. It’s a worthwhile upgrade though :+1:

I put in an inquiry about a cosmetic upgrade, one that would horrify @SenyorC

I think 18k or higher yellow gold electroplating would look great with my RAD-0 grille.

They like the idea and will get back to me.

3 Likes

If you do it we want photographic proof! :laughing:

1 Like

Of course. But it’ll depend on the price.

2 Likes

Did you order gold rims for your Cadillac at the same time?

Just kidding. We should all like what we want without having to worry about what others like.

(I actually like the gold hardware on this bass:

Just don’t tell anyone :wink: )

8 Likes

Solid gold spinners for the Escalade? That’s so 1996.

3 Likes

I believe Rhodium is more 21rst Century :star_struck:

Oganesson is more 22nd century. Sadly, it is limited by half-life, and may make the Rossons even heavier. Of course it’s a gas (classical gas?) but is relatively or perhaps relativistically solid.

1 Like

It’s really bad when you think something is gas and it turns out to be solid…or even relatively solid😳

4 Likes