Schiit Audio - Lyr 3 - Official Thread

yeah I agree most schiit amps have a very upfront staging and bested by other tube amps, but I thought the Valhalla 2 had pretty good depth back when I owned one. I can’t comment much on mjolnir 2 much other than what I’ve heard/read since i’ve never heard one in person.

1 Like

Yes, Verite Open.

I have a SMSL SP200. It’s clean, detailed, nuetral to the point of a bit boring.

I tried the Jotunheim. Warmer, bit more character, but lost too much detail in the process, sold it.

Now have a Bottlehead Crack too. Enjoying the sound. Something about it makes the music more enjoyable. Don’t like fiddly tubeness, and background noise that comes and goes a bit, different for each tube etc. Very much a tinkerers amp.

Thought maybe something in between would be perfect. Don’t want to lose much detail though. Easy?

Or do I look for a decent solid state with a bit more flava? Bit less thx, bit more something something.

4 Likes

Golly Gee,

Base on your comments the LYR3 should make you happy…I have several of the Schitt amps here and rotate thru them on a weekly basis…

The Lyr3 is the newest here, and I didnt need it, but there was this curiosity to see how the totally re-designed amp would play…

B-Stock sale and I got one.

There is no real need to tube roll with the Lyr 3 IMO, although many do…and yes I have many tubes that I did try in it, all worked very well…small differences if any at all…

One surprise I have with the Lyr 3 is the match with my HD600’s…its one of the best ever!! Previoulsy with the BH Crack and Vahalla 2 these were the best pairings with these Senns…but the Lyr 3 just lights them up! Better than the other 2!

Its definitley less warm than the Jotenhiem for sure…

For the price of admission this is a really great all around amp…

Alex

2 Likes

@jb77 Jeremy did some tube rolling on the m2 and had very good results with some by tubemonger

he also has the Liquid, Lyr3 and the Tuba (non hybrid)

so maybe you talk to him

1 Like

Thanks,

Been having discussions with Jeremy on a variety of things!

Alex

2 Likes

I’m very much considering it. Replace the SMSL and Crack with it. Takes up less space on the desk.

Hows the background noise on the Lyr? With nothing playing, to you get those tube creak and moan sounds?

Rolling one tube seems much more manageable too, cheaper, and easier.

One is for sale here with the Multibit card, anyone have thoughts on that? Happy to keep the D50S, but if I am, don’t want to be paying for the MB if I won’t use it.

My Lyr 3 is dead silent. None of the BH crack pops, whines or whistles…

On my BH Mainline I never had those tube issues or percularities…nor with the TUBA, Vahalla 2, original LYR, just with those big tall coke bottle tubes that have their innards sprouting up like a sykscraper inside a glass bottle…prone to mechanical movement, vibrations etc…

I never have used the internal MB dac, use a Bifrost 2, for the se and balanced ports…the MB is abut equal to the Modi…

Alex

2 Likes

Cheers.

Looks like a real contestant. Maybe keep the D50S and do away with the SMSL SP200 and the Crack.

Power for days. Clear. Sounds good. Easy tube to roll, and only one. Bit of tube sound. Bit of SS no fuss.

2 Likes

Zeos gave a very favorable review on the Lyr 3 today. I was having an eye for the Valhalla 2 but I guess the extra $$ towards this one may worth it. I was kind of sold.

The fact that I could make an adapter from headphone out and drive my 2x12 Celestion green backs (for guitar simulation software), or small passive speakers with it, introduces a great versatility for this amp.

Anyway, since Zeos may introduce an anxiety effect on people in general, there’s a chance this amp will be out of stock for a while.

I’m sure you won’t regret buying Lyr 3, I had read everything out there about that amp and I’m ready to buy it as soon as my time on my studio is back, now I need portability.
Just wanna point to Zeos (and really hope don’t hurt anyone here), the guy is a showman, is fun to watch ( I follow him), is good because you know about so many products that would be impossible to keep track yourself, but I won’t 100% trust his reviews… not even 80%:wink:.

6 Likes

Agree. I have a lot of fun watching his videos as well. He’s an entertainer.

Zeos was actually the reason why I bought the Shure SRH1540. He said the sound was boring. Later on, I discovered my taste for darker sounding headphones. :grinning:

But the headphone amps, ohh man… Those are tough to control the anxiety sometimes. He reviews a lot of good stuff and you get to choose the purchases carefully. Majority is Mid-Fi gear though.

1 Like

It’s been a month or so since I received LYR3 and it’s truly living up to its glowing reviews. That being said, these are the less positive things that I found which you may not often heard or got any mention at all.

1. My unit came with overly sensitive circuit protection which would trigger when it detects an instant huge swing in audio frequency. I could replicate this using the same track on a specific time stamp. This issue was lessened when the unit is given some time to heat up properly and after about 200 hrs, the issue is gone. I don’t know if it has something to do with component burn in, but that’s just my guess.

2. Heat. This thing is as toasty as my other class A amp. If you’re planning to stack this right on top of other components or putting it in a small enclosed cabinet may not be a good idea. I kept mine in fairly small cabinet because I have a decent air ventilation underneath it.

3. Deep recessed tube socket. A bigger tube like Psvane CV181-T Mk.2 will not sit flush without a socket saver.

4. Last but not least. I know there are a lot of other amps doing the same thing. Back on/off switch. I just wish they put it up front for easy access. A small nit pick but it’s annoyance nonetheless.

Overall, I’d still give it 5/5. If the first problem doesn’t solve itself in time, this would be a different story. The rest of them are more of nitpicks. Stuff that personally matter to me but may not bother others at all. Now go buy one :joy:

7 Likes

Heard few others mention that cut out thing. Others had unit replaced and all good

Think I’m sold on the Lyr 3 as the desktop solution.

Buy it. Unplug all else. Plug it in, and never A/B against another Amp. Plan. Sorted.

3 Likes

Yeah, once you found the sound you’ve been looking for, you can stop the comparison work and just enjoy it until someday you come across something much better. As if we all can do this easily :rofl:

2 Likes

B-Stock LYR 3 :
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

3 in stock this am, I bought one of these a few weeks back…

Alex

2 Likes

Always 115v stuff :frowning:

Stock tubes not the Tung Sol anymore?

What music or track did you use that exhibited this anomoly?? Never heard of this, did you contact Schiit on this??

Alex

Sessions from the 17th Ward (Binaural)
Track 11- Sneak
At 1:49

I could replicate this on Spotify and 24bit 192K Flac from HDtracks but not Youtube.

My initial post about this issue: Schiit Audio - Lyr 3 - Official Thread

I haven’t contact Schiit regarding this issue because the problem went away within couple weeks of purchase.

1 Like

Thanks for the information…very interesting…the fact that it went away kind of points IMO to the tube?

Its possible for a tube todo wierd things from time to time…depending on the voltage swing along its operating system curve…could be a tube that had an issue that was exhibited with this paritcular piece etc…and over time that tube could have healed itself in some respect…it may sound like science fiction but I have seen stranger things happen with tubes…

If it were a design thing I would think many more folks would have seen similar issues…

But this is all conjecture, glad it worked out for you!

Alex

2 Likes

I just heard this in Google Play Music with a regular SS amp. I mean, at 1:49 it is just the start of a crescendo violin doing a vibrato. Nothing special sound-wise – it does sound beautiful though.

Maybe this was a glitch in the actual file from Spotify that eventually got fixed? Maybe also when cleaning your local cache the issue got away?

Remember, we’re still relying on files being downloaded from streaming services and anything (behind the scenes) can happen.

To conclude, I’m just speculating as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like