Schiit Jotunheim "R" - Direct Drive RAAL-SR1a Amplifier - Official Thread

Volume “Bypass” & Further Listening/Comparisons

Since my primary DAC can act as a pre-amp, with high-precision, audibly-transparent, variable output, in my normal configuration I run it straight into my speaker amp and let the DAC control the output level. This avoids having an additional pre-amp or attenuator in the chain.

With the Jotunheim R, if your DAC (or whatever source) has variable output, you can bypass the attenuation and use it simply as your “power” amp too. Simply turning the volume ALL the way up effectively turns the pot into straight wire.

DO make SURE your source has variable output, and that it is turned down, before doing this!

I wanted to do this for as close a comparison with my primary SR1a setup (Blu Mk2 -> DAVE -> Etude -> Interface) as possible. And having done it, as both the systems I want to use the SR1a in have variable output sources in them, this is how I will personally be running the Jotunheim R. It’s not a big deal, but I tend to like the simplest, most direct, chains possible.

Note that the Jotunheim R will be outputting exactly the same amount of power for the same output SPL regardless of whether you use its built-in volume control, or turn it all the way up and use your source for volume control. So no concerns about “running the amp flat out” or some such.

With the Volume by-passed …

I set about comparing the Jotunheim R to the Linn AK4200 and Chord Etude power amplifiers (both of which, of course, need the “Amp/Ribbon Interface” to drive the SR1a).

The little Schiit unit still exhibited more bass and sub-bass presence vs. using the interface. The difference was a bit smaller here, but still clearly audible. Slam and impact were similar enough that I couldn’t reliably tell them apart on those grounds - but on presence favors the Jotunheim R.

Resolution/detail was either the same, or was just favoring Jotunheim R. Bass texture/detail was indistinguishable, the difference being most audible, if still very small, at higher frequencies. It’s not apparent with all tracks … very complex pieces make this easier to discern.

Both the Linn and Chord amps exhibit just a hair more speed, though interestingly with the Linn unit as I turned the volume higher that difference got even smaller (possibly as it transitions from using monolithic’s for low-power output to augmenting them/transitioning to big bi-polar power transistors).

The Linn and Chord amps are a little smoother sounding than the Jotunheim R. Which is not to say that Jotunheim doesn’t give a smooth delivery; it does. With a lot going on, and with music that has content that is discordant, is pushing levels or has a lot of natural bite, however, the Linn and the Chord amps are just a little more refined.

It’s worth noting that both of those power amps have hundreds or thousands of hours on them, and that the cables connecting them to the SR1a interface each cost more than the entire Jotunheim R. So it’s possible with more time on the Schiit unit (it’s had about 150 hours run-time at this point) that things will get even smoother. This is something I’ll pay attention to and circle back to in my full/formal review.

At some level, prior to hearing this unit, I was thinking that if it could match a single Vidar (or similar) then it’d be a good deal and a nice “entry point” for the SR1a; But Jotunheim R is no mere “entry point” … and is showing serious signs of being the preferred way to drive these cans.

I was pleasantly surprised when Jotunheim R made relatively short work of the amplifiers I tested up to about the $3,000 mark. We’re nearly double that with the Linn and Chord amps here, and the Jotunheim R is still competitive - trading blows back and forth depending on the point of evaluation - while being 1/7th the price (or less).

I don’t need more listening time to know that I will definitely be adding the Jotunheim R to my office rig to drive a set of SR1a there.

Really impressive stuff!

14 Likes