Schiit Jotunheim "R" - Direct Drive RAAL-SR1a Amplifier - Official Thread

I’ll be using the SR1a for mixing/ mastering purposes and I was planning on picking up a Bryston 2.5b3 amp. But hell if you’re telling me that this amp is neutral, has resolution and details on par with the best of them, and as an added bonus has a pre out for my nearfield monitors… Then this might just be a no brainer purchase for me.

Are you finding any flaws ?

4 Likes

Welcome @apollogreed.

3 Likes

The Jotunheim R delivers a bit more bass presence than pretty much everything I’ve tried though the interface box. So the end result is actually a bit closer to neutral, perceptually at least.

No flaws as such, at least nothing that’s come up so far (not I’m expecting anything to suddenly materialize at this point either).

As mentioned above, the Linn and Chord amps have a slight edge in smoothness (or “refinement”) and are a hair faster-sounding than the Jotunheim R. I felt that was the case when I compared them to the Bryston 4B3 as well.

I have not done a direct comparison between the Jotunheim R vs. the Bryston amps though.

I suspect part of the resolution/detail advantage Jotunheim R is enjoying is down to its direct-drive nature. No extra cables and no interface box in the mix…

On the pre-outs … I believe the pre-outs on the Jotunheim R are 100% passive. As in there’s no gain or buffer stage between the inputs and the pre-outs.

3 Likes

Great read regarding the Jot-R with the RAAL. This setup is definitely my next purchase. I can’t buy another pair of conventional headphones.

5 Likes

Hello, and welcome! @petestradamus

2 Likes

Welcome @petestradamus.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

Hey, everyone!

2 Likes

After you finalize the date of release to general public, please let me know.

I will pull the trigger for Sr1a and Jotunheim R.

Thomas

3 Likes

I’ll taker 2; 1 silver and 1 black.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @FLTWS.

Thank You.

Every time I think audio reproduction can’t get any better than what I have, and my wallet is resting comfortably, something that really pushes the limits of what can be comes along. The RS1a is a very special sounding headphone to my ears with my preferred classical and Jazz genres that really puts a premium on a recording’s quality. With over 120 hours play time on mine and top notch recordings from labels like Reference Recordings, Naxos, Chesky, and some from the major labels, the sound continues to impress me. Bass quality is within a hairs breath of what I want in the bottom octave and is recording dependent. Above that range the RS1a seems about as perfect as it gets to me. So if the “R” puts a bit more “there” in the bottom end I will probably be evaluating the value of hanging on to my other phones, especially when I consider the comfort factor and long term listen-ability.

While certainly not a walk around while wearing headphones solution, and the open air design means no isolation from ambient environment sounds, these are perfect for the way I listen.

In reading through this thread and the RS1a dedicated thread I saw mention that the “a” stand for first model or iteration of this ribbon cartridge. Makes me wonder if it’s technically possible to voice this ribbon differently (without EQ) to provide a softer top and fatter bottom to suit not so great recordings or music genres other than classical and jazz that might benefit from a different sound profile and be just a pop-in replacement so one could have their cake and eat it too for the price of a new pair of ribbon cartridges?

But I’m getting ahead of myself, where are my "R"s, LOL!

5 Likes

New member here. Found the forum while researching amp options for my new RAAL headphones. Haven’t had a chance to listen to them yet. They arrived this past Friday, while I was traveling. I am borrowing a friend’s Schiit Vidar while I seek out direct drive options. I am hoping Schiit brings the R to market ASAP. My current preferred headphone is a Stax SR-009, driven by a custom T2, and second is the 007 driven by a Mjolnir Carbon. I also have Focal Utopia, Senn 800, and Audeze LCD 2 and 4 cans. The 009 gets 95% of my non-speaker listening time. The others are good, just not as good. Was about to pull the trigger on the 009s, when someone suggested the RAAL to me. I am a long-time ribbon aficionado, so the arrival of the RAAL was very exciting. Now, if Schiit can just get the Jotunheim R to market.

11 Likes

Welcome @drunkenspyder. According to an earlier post, they are pushing to have production units ready before the end of the year!
Great collection you have by the way. I Haven’t had an opportunity to listen to many electrostatic’s but the 007’s I heard were phenomenal.
Enjoy the form!

3 Likes

Thanks Joshua. I did see that comment as I re-read the thread. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @drunkenspyder. All I have to say is…be prepared to start feeling the urge to downsize your headphone collection (a great collection I must say) with the arrival of the SR1a. It will most likely happen sooner rather than later. Yes, they’re game changers when properly driven!

3 Likes

Thanks Marlon, and I like hearing that!

1 Like

I had used Apogee Duetta Sig(ribbon speaker) from 1989 to 1999.

Thus i have a lot of interest in Sr1a.

I have Stax 009s driven by Kgssv Carbon.

I was curious how much better T2 for 009s.

But after triggering for SR1a, I may not go for T2.

Welcome to the forum.

Thomas

2 Likes

Thanks Thomas. I love my T2. I also own two of Birgir’s Mjolnir Carbons. They are superb amps, but the T2 is better. Noticeably better on 009, less dramatically so on the 007 (of which I have three versions), where the Carbon has some really sweet synergies. With everything I have read about the RAAL, today I would want to hear the 009s/T2 side-by-side with the RAAL/Jotunheim R, and known DAC and source material, before making that move. Personally, I hope this combo bests my Stax/T2. That will be something.

Cheers!
Greg

2 Likes

Thanks Greg for your kind reply.

Some people sold Stax 009s after listening to Sr1a.

But I will keep both.

Sr1a sounds fast and open but 009s give nuanced details thus they give different flavors .

Combination of Jotunheim and Sr1a cost around 4K$ which is not much burden for serious audiophile.

Thomas

2 Likes