Schiit Vahalla 2 Headphone Amp - Official Thread

At low levels with a sensitive headphone you will hear distortion if it’s in the source…but if the distortion is via the amp (from its specs)…most good amps today…most likely not…with the tube amps…the euphoric sound imo is from the higher levels of harmonic distotion levels and to some this produces a colored sound…warm etc…but even with most good tube amps you don’t actually hear the distortion…its there in a sense that it colors the sound. Again that’s my opinion.

Alex

4 Likes

That’s the kind of answer I’m looking for. Hopefully I’ll get more insights from the other folks.

So am I assuming correctly that a good headphone valve amp will have a big headroom? Even if it’s hybrid?

How does it synergize with other headphones? What else have you utilized with it?

Well I have used Beyerdynamics T1R2, paired well, tamed the infamous highs…and the Beyerdynamic T90’s same thing…I dont have either anymore (Focal Clears are my favorites now)…Focal Clears dont pair very well as other amps, not bad but bass is a bit off to me…ok for non critical listening.

Beyerdynamics DT1350 on high gain at 80 ohms actually worked very nice, amazing bass in this setup…still have these.

Grado 325is…not good.

ATHM50’s 38 ohms not really that good.

HD800s very nice.

ATH MSR7’s 35 ohms not that good…

So IMO this amp even though it was re-designed for lower cans, its ok but not what I really want…its ok for casual listening, but it shines with the higher impedace cans for sure…

WIth the 600s I often think dang this is really, really nice…you forget about the gear after that and just listen…

I think one could be very happy with a V2 and HD600 setup…

I feed mine from a Schiit Bifrost 2. PC flac ripped files Jriver MC 24 using the Unison USB connection.

Alex

4 Likes

Which one do you really want?

For high impedance cans this OTL and other OTL amps work very well, both the Vahalla 2 and the Crack.
I just prefer the Vahalla2 with the HD600’s over the Crack.

For other lower impdeance cans there are many amps both SS and tube…I have 12 headphone amps here! Yes I know crazy but I build lots of DIY and commercial stuff mostly under $1K…over $1K the real benefits IMO are hard to justify the cost.

The few amps that are over $1K that I am tempted to buy would be ECP T4 built by Tom Blanchard at Beezar audio…it will handle hi and low impedance cans…I have had that amp here and its excellent. $2K.

Other good amps for low impedance cans are “plenty”…THX AAA Monporice 887, Schitt Joteneheim, Phonitor’s, excllent but pricey, Schiit Asgard and most any Schitt amp except the Vahalla 2.

I just purchased a Hagerman Audio TUBA parafeed tube amp works very well with low and high impedance…point here is there are many amps and its a personal choice…

I had a BH Mainline $1299 and its a kit! Just sold it, was great but wanted to try other stuff…it worked well with high and low stuff as well.

Alex

4 Likes

Cool. Thanks.

Sounds like a good entry level tube amp then. Yes, my plan is to use with high-Z cans (HD600, 6XX and also my brighty Beyers DT770). For low-Z, I’d just plug into my phone, dongle DAC or even Focusrite jack out.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Yes its a great entry level OTL amp…

Alex

2 Likes

My experience with the Valhalla 2 is it is good, I prefer most headphones with the tube magic now. Some issues to consider when moving into an OTL such as the Valhalla.

• Tubes can be weird sometimes, just turn the amp off and switch the left and right, and listen again.
  • Power tubes can get freaking hot,
  • nearly all tubes I have tried are not micro-phonic so don’t put a tube dampener on the back tubes they will just stink up your room
  • Nearly all tubes sound different, when you power off/on the amp you will notice the sound of the tubes sound like creaking/ breaking glass. Just have your headphones unplugged before each power cycle to prevent any nasties into your headphone
  • try both “gain modes” find the right sound for you.
  • A DC offset power strip might be a good investment for your future.

Now for sound, I will describe it based on some of the tubes I tried, but some generalities first that I believe are true regardless of drivers. This amp can be a bit bright on other headphones. I didn’t have much luck on something like the DT880 600 ohm, I believe it needed a higher output impedance. On the PortaPros this amp made them quite bright, not the pairing I would recommended with them. 6xx though it is nearly a perfect match.

This amp really rocks on the 6xx.

The front tubes can be a pain to roll, I had some cheap socket saves, but I would recommended the tube monger ones. They fit much nicer, and aren’t atrocious on the inside. To me to roll on an amp like the Valhalla 2 it has to be easy. They didn’t degrade the sound at least not on my 6xx. The OTL aspect feels that it just grabs the driver and takes it for a ride. Effortless interaction between the 6xx and the Valhalla 2.
It extends the bass to go a little past what people claim is impossible through eq on the driver and does it (might be some IMD aspects of an OTL) The slight glare on the Valhalla 2 is a good thing for the 6xx as it can miss a little on some regions.

Tubes:
stock tubes; I thought the stock tubes did the job, but felt like you can miss some details.

Raytheon 5670WA; These gave me a sparkly top end and nice tight bass.

Apmerex A frame(Bugle Boys); These are just an upgraded stock tube, good midrange, way better bass(yes more is better here) and the top end is sweet. No complaints.

6CG7 Halo getter; These I feel are a sweet compromise and the biggest deal for this amp. If you want to roll off the stock tubes, and don’t want to pick up socket savers. These are longer than the stock tubes so you can roll them out, on the stock tubes it felt nearly impossible to remove them. Their sound is hard for me to describe other than good and it would be pleasing for most people. These are a good upgrade if you don’t want to get a bugle boy or another tube pair that is half the cost of the amp. Though their imaging is very good, highly recommended tube, I can see why so many people also love this tube on the lyr3. A true gem in my eyes.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone tube curious with a 6xx. Other pairing that might be worth considering are some Grado headphones, and maybe even some Focal headphones(I have not tested the focal clears with the V2 yet and may not be a good pairing but they do deserve some investigation due to both their low OI)

11 Likes

Any experience with the Valhalla 2 and the Aeon 2 closed back? I’m debating between this and the Lyr 3. Frankly I like the look of the Valhalla better but not if it can’t make the headphones sound good.

Thanks.

Since these cans are a relatively low 13 ohms, they are likely better suited with the Lyr 3 tube hybrid amp compared to the Valhalla 2 output transformerless amp, where the former has a lower output impedance.

2 Likes

Yea I wouldn’t run Aeon 2C on a Val 2, Lyr 3 would be better both from a power perspective and it’s some what thick mid-range presentation will help fill in Aeon 2C’s kinda U shaped response imo

3 Likes

Totally agree, the Vahalla 2 is not a great match for these headphones, I had both here early this year. The V2 is new and improved over its predecessor. But the Lyr 3 is definitley the way to go here.

Alex

2 Likes

Thank you all for your help here - looks like I’m going to be purchasing a Lyr 3 + Modius. The only thing stopping me is I’m still debating about the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies. It’s so pretty but can’t figure out if it’s worth the extra $$, especially when know the Lyr 3 + Modius will be great.

2 Likes

Fireflie is rated at 1 watt at 32 ohms. It does have a hi and low z switch.
Lyr 3 has tons more power.

Alex

1 Like

Thanks for that info, been trying to find that. Seals the deal on the Lyr 3.

1 Like

I love the look of the fireflies, but never could pull the trigger on them. I wasn’t overly impressed with the DAC specs on the first version, which finally came down in price used when version 2 came out. When you buy a DAC/AMP as a single unit you’re stuck with it. For portability, I have an iFi xDSD, and my main stack is Bifrost 2/Lyr 3. If I could afford and had a place to put something for “pretty”, I might consider the Fireflies. But there is the Cayin amp also, and so much else with comforting tube glow.

3 Likes

I’ve ordered the Lyr 3 + Modius and I’ll report back once they’ve arrived and I’ve had some time to listen. Thanks for your help.

For my portability, I have the iFi hip-dac, which I really like. It’s been my primary while I’m figuring out the best setup for a more permanent setup.

Cheers

5 Likes

Very nice thread, very interesting reading.
Thank you to everyone who contributed.
I told myself I would never get a tube amp for a number of reasons, first of all my tendency to be compulsive and maniac tuner.
Recently I had the chance to buy at a very good price a pair of Sennheiser HD660s and I’m literally in love with them.
I feel like with my Hfiman Sundara, Aeon Noire and HD660s I’m in an headphone peace of mind… for a while.
But (there’s always a but you know) loving so much HD660s why not feed them with an OTL amp?
I know Valhalla 2 isn’t the pinnacle of tube amps but as a dedicated amp for one headphone it will probably be more than I need.
So let’s go with it.
Thanks again to the community for the precious tread for a “tubenub” like me.
Enjoy.

6 Likes

I have the HD6XX and I just pulled the trigger on the Valhalla 2. More than I spent on the headphones!

4 Likes