Schiit Magni 3+ - Amp - Official Thread

The Magni 3+ is an all-new iteration of Schiit’s most diminutive line of desktop headphone amplifiers, featuring increased power, a new topology (more similar to Vidar than the prior Magni 3), and better performance, both sonic and measured.

Price remains the same $99 as the out-going model!

Magni 3+ is introduced along side the “Magni Heresy”, which is the same price, but a different take on the product - focusing on ultra-high measured performance instead of discrete design. In Schiit’s words:

For Magni 3+, we pulled out all the stops in designing the highest performing discrete Magni ever, by any metric—power, distortion, or noise floor. But it’s easy to get even higher measured performance from integrated (op amp) designs, so we decided to give you a choice, with Magni Heresy.

• Choose Magni 3+ for the ultimate expression of an affordable all-discrete current-feedback headphone amp. It’s now seriously a mini speaker amp, right down to the driver stage and Vbe multiplier. Magni 3+ is in our traditional silver and gray chassis.

• Choose Magni Heresy for insanely great measurements from an all-op-amp based headphone amp that uses super high quality parts, including a multiple paralleled output stage with feedforward. Magni Heresy is in a black and red chassis.

And if you have trouble deciding between the two, Schiit has a nice proposition for you:

If you want to compare, you can buy both, keep both for 30 days, and return one with no restocking fee (for the first 250 orders).

Specifications

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, +/-0.04dB

• Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.8W RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.4W RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.6W RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 410mW RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 215mW RMS per channel

THD+N:

• High Gain: Less than 0.0013% (-98dB) at 1V RMS into 32 ohms
  • Low Gain: Less than 0.0005% (-106dB) at 1V RMS into 32 ohms

IMD:

• High Gain: Less than 0.01% (-80dB) at 1V RMS into 32 ohms, CCIF
  • Low Gain: Less than 0.002% (-95dB) at 1V RMS into 32 ohms, CCIF

SNR:

• High Gain: Greater than 104dB, A weighted, referenced to 1V RMS
  • Low Gain: Greater than 115dB, A weighted, referenced to 1V RMS

Crosstalk: Less than -70dB, 20 Hz-20 kHz in either gain

Output Impedance: Less than 0.2 ohms at either gain

Gain: 1 (3db) or 6 (18db), selectable via rear switch

Topology: Fully discrete, fully complementary all-bipolar, symmetrical current-feedback design with driver stage and Vbe multiplier, no capacitors in the signal path and DC servo

Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay

This is the spot to discuss the new Schiit Magni 3+ …

11 Likes

That is a ton of power for 100 bucks!

5 Likes

Yep, more power than the Magni 3 it replaces, at least from 32 Ω and up, and it both sounds and measures better than the original Magni 3 to boot.

4 Likes

Silly question time because I’m massively ignorant about the specifics here (sorry!): how efficient a pair of bookshelfs can you run off the new Magni 3+? I’m wondering how much tongue-in-cheek there was in the FAQs describing this as effectively a mini speaker amp.

I’ve been teetering on the edge of DIYing some mini bookshelf speakers for ages because it’s sometimes too hot for headphones but at the same time my room isn’t the best for speakers— not in terms of treatment but in terms of bothering the ever-lovin’ jeebus out of other people, haha. That said, it’d be cool to have something that’d work for the eventual speaker rig.

Don’t try and use Magni 3+ or Heresy as a speaker amp, it doesn’t have enough heat sinking to handle it.

There’s more to a speaker amp vs. a headphone amp than power rating and topology.

8 Likes

Unless you like watching $99 amps explode, that is. In which case, enjoy the murderous speaker listening.

5 Likes

I posted my full review, and comparison of the Magni 3+ and Heresy on the main site.

6 Likes

I have a Magni 3+ being fed by a Modi 3 in my work for 2 months now. I use it everyday with 2 modest IEMs and my SRH1540.

Initially, I was driving a DT 770 PRO with it but after a few weeks of harshiness (this Beyers is too bright for me in some genres), I decided to replace by the SRH1540 which is way more neutral. Not to mention the comfort.

My settings:

• Knob at 3 o’clock for the DT770 PRO;
  • Knob at 12 o’clock for the SRH1540;
  • Switch at low gain at all times;
  • Volume is controlled by the keyboard (Linux pulseaudio running KDE) – typically between 20% - 60% of overall DAC/OS volume.

What do I listen?

Youtube and Google Play Music.

So far, nothing to complaint.

I would be interested in knowing if someone is using the high gain switch on this amp, and why. Every time I engage it, songs become compressed to me. Personally I like to play with the dynamic range using the keyboard instead.

I never heard the noise floor on this thing. I’m impressed. :clap:

This is my first ever dedicated headphone amp. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

When I first heard about the Magni 3+ I couldn’t believe the output power that it offers… blows some of the competition out of the water for sure

2 Likes

A little (stupid) exercise I’ve done this morning with the Magni 3+: Off Topic: Funny Photos Edition

1 Like

I’m bored tonight. Measured the power consumption of my Magni 3+ with a Kill A Watt:

• Turned on: ~6W – as given in the specs;
  • Turned off. Yes, turned off: ~3W. :man_facepalming:

Blame the cheap’o VAC transformer.

Other than that, very small power consumption. Small unit anyways.

4 Likes

My Medium blog post on the Schiit Magni 3+ with Modi:

Not a review per se, but may be interesting reading for anyone looking at this amp.
3 Likes

Schiit Magni 3+ compared to Drop THX AAA 789

Sometimes just wanting to be a cowboy is a good strategy. One needn’t actually be a real cowboy. One might even find that it’s possible to achieve peace thru vandalism.

Headphones tested:

• Focal Clear
  • Sennheiser HD-600
  • Dan Clark AEON Flow Closed (original version)

All headphones routed through a Schiit Loki with similar adjustments made to problem test tracks with piercing high ends.

I purchased the original Magni 3 a few years ago and hated it. With my HD-600s it flipped the dynamics of intense music (i.e., loud and intense passages often came across as mild relative to softer passages). I got rid of it quickly. After this, I ended up with planar headphones and the Magni 3+ was released; some swear by the combination of a Magni (non-Heresy) with planar headphones.

BLUF: Yes, the Magni 3+ was great with my planar test sample. I interpreted this as consistent with data from AudioScienceReview.

In looking at the chart, the original Magni 3 distorts as the volume increases, while the Magni 3+ more or less flattens out. The 789 (not shown) and Heresy have very low and declining levels of distortion as the output increases. The old Magni 3 outputs more “stuff” at higher volume settings, but not cleanly or usefully.

Findings

Focal Clear

These are extremely sensitive, neutral, and clear headphones. They communicate exactly what the amplifier produces, and that’s perfect for me. I preferred the Magni 3+ and 789 (with Loki tone control) 50% of the time.

• 789: This amp is very clean, black, and dynamic. It reveals the nuances in voice and acoustic instruments. The effect is three dimensional and engaging with well-produced content. However, louder high end notes become sharp little daggers that stab into the ear. The stabs cannot be eliminated with EQ.
  • Magni 3+: Overall, this amp produces a two dimensional image of the music and flattens dynamics. Ironically, flattening can reveal details by exaggerating the volume of minor elements – this is somewhat akin to using a compressed MP3 as the music source. It can be a good thing with tracks that become stabby on the 789. Just try to be a cowboy, but don’t be a real cowboy…

Sennheiser HD-600

These are classic neutral reference headphones. They lack the dynamic potential of more recent headphones, and can sound a bit plasticky. I swear by balanced amps with these, as every non-balanced amp I’ve tried makes my ears ring. For a fair test I used the 789’s single-ended output. If using the balanced output I’d absolutely prefer the 789 100% of the time, but for this comparison my findings were similar to the Clear.

• 789: Again, dynamic details and more nuance than the Magni 3+. The hiss I perceive with the Magni 3+ becomes sharper, narrower, and more painful.
  • Magni 3+: If buying a single-ended amp for HD-600s, there’s little point in spending more money. For those who do not perceive hiss, just buy the Magni 3+ and let it be. For those who do perceive hiss, get a balanced amp and balanced cable.

AEON Flow Closed

These are planar headphones and lack the technical potential of the others. The presentation is relatively flat (non-dynamic) regardless of the source, the high end is a bit hazy, and the output is less detailed. I purchased them based on reviews saying that they were “closed headphones that sound like open headphones.” I always gravitate toward a neutral tone, and am happy with them as a closed model.

• 789: The output was flat, shaky, cloudy, and relatively dead. Consistent with the chart above, too much clarity seems to be the issue. The 789 reveals all the details and thereby hides no flaws. Real cowboys need not apply.
  • Magni 3+: Here’s where one technical characteristic compliments another technical characteristic. The thicker sounding, flatter sounding, amp smooths over the shakiness and creates a rich fullness in tone. I strongly preferred the Magni 3+; even as it’s impossible to generate serious dynamics from these headphones.
8 Likes

If one is looking out for furniture, see in the review section people stacking Magni/Modi combos. Measurements approved. :smile:

Looks like a neat office setup. Cheers.

4 Likes