Sennheiser HD 600 over-ear open-back Headphone - Official Thread

Great review, @Chrono.

Did you just run them with stock cables? Have you tried the balanced output as well? Thoughts? That Phonitor amp looks like a beast. :open_mouth:

The HD 650, is it a brand new one? Where is it made? Romania?

2 Likes

Yeah I tried them balanced as well. Also, yea this is a Romanian-made one. It sounds exactly like my 2016 Ireland one, though.

2 Likes

Really great writeup @Chrono.

2 Likes

Great review @Chrono as always!

2 Likes

Great review!

Own both and still really enjoy them. Especially with OTL headphone ampā€™s.

2 Likes

Do any of you happen to remember whether the hd600 cable was plugged into the headphone the way the hd650 appears to be out of the box? I just ordered from amazon for a low price and am wondering whether I got an open box/returned headphone, because the packaging is really bad (expected), the box is beat up, and the cable wasnā€™t plugged into the headphone. It also had sort of a funny smell to it, kind of like a hotel room. Fairly pleasant smell, thinking it could be someoneā€™s shampoo but unlikely since it was so strong. Thinking itā€™s probably just the factory smell (really the foam).

Mine are plugged in label side out (L and R out). I bought an aftermarket cable sold for the 600 or 650, and the same cables are routinely sold for both models. The left cup is marked at the top with 3 braille dots.

1 Like

@generic Thanks for responding. Just to be clear, Iā€™m asking whether the hd600 came brand new with the stock cable already plugged in. Iā€™m pretty confident itā€™s a genuine 2019 hd600, just not sure whether itā€™s returned/open box or new.
My left cup does indeed have the 3 braille dots at the top.

I bought my HD600 a long time ago and am almost positive the cables were pre-installed. I recall that they were so stiff coming out the first time that I thought I might break the connectors. However, mine is from the former Ireland factory so they could have changed the packaging with the move.

1 Like

Yes, the entire packaging is much worse now (although itā€™s not a big deal to me as long as I still got a brand new headphone). However, even in the new 2019version packaging the hd650 at least seems to come with the cable pre-installed. I have yet to find any information on the state of the 2019 hd600ā€™s packaging, however the fact that the cable was installed in the older version and the fact that the new 650 comes with it installed do not bode well. However, the 650 and 600 cables are different, which perhaps could have something to do with it.

Did you get the Romanian version? Weird. I was looking at my pictures and the HD600 was one that I havenā€™t taken any pictures. :weary:

The HD660S came with the cable attached:

This video should answer your question though:

2 Likes

I did get the Romanian version. And yeah, that video does answer my question, although it was not the answer I was hoping forā€¦

Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

This does indeed seem like a Return/Open Box to me. If it were me I would send them back.

Just to answer your question though. Yes my cable was plugged in already. Good luck. Oh and welcome.

2 Likes

Impressions and Comparison: HD-600 vs. HD-6XX vs. HD-58X

Iā€™ve owned the Sennheiser HD-600 for many years, and it was my first set of serious headphones. Iā€™ve used the HD-600 with all sorts of amplifiers and signal chains, ranging from phones and PCs on up to nice equipment. In 2021 I bought Dropā€™s HD-58X and HD-6XX when each was on sale. This post summarizes my impressions of all three headphones. While Iā€™ve moved on to the technically superior Focal Clear and other headphones, I continue to use the HD-600 for smooth and relaxing background music.

All three products use the same chassis, connectors, and basic design. One has to look at the name and color to determine which model is in use. I swapped my aftermarket balanced cable when testing on my balanced sources.

Experience Summaries

• HD-58X: This is definitely a technical step below the 6 series, and it does not scale much or at all. Sounds tend to be distinct when present, but details I know from the HD-600 routinely disappear (i.e., binary, digital, mechanical). It works well on low end, low power devices. As such, if I keep the 58X Iā€™ll use it for ultralight travel, practice sessions with my guitar amplifier, and other scenarios with inherent quality limitations.

• HD-600: Iā€™ve owned this for many years, and heard it generate both terrible and quality output. Itā€™s the most amplifier dependent of all three, and can either perform worse or better than the other two. On a weak or noisy DAC/amp it becomes hissy, harsh, bright, and screechy. On a ā€œwell matchedā€ DAC and balanced or single-ended amp (E.g., Rebel Audio RebelAmp), it sounds great. Bass performance becomes reasonable (never excessive, nor satisfactory for a bass-head), and the tone neutralizes. It remains the most natural sounding and my favorite of all three, hands down.

• HD-6XX: This sometimes sounds identical to the HD-600 (e.g, when the source has little or no bass), and sometimes pretty different (e.g., substantial bass content with vocals). The HD-6XX boosts lower mids, whereby male vocals become husky, and also bass guitars and some drums tend to dominate upper vocals. The mid bass is dominant, throbbing, and insistent (i.e., focus of attention). Simultaneously, the upper mid range is degraded, resulting in roughness, grain, and a binary character similar to the HD-58X.

Iā€™ll certainly keep my HD-600, but am undecided about the other two. So far I donā€™t see where Iā€™d use the HD-6XX much at all, as I own solid supporting hardware and prefer the naturalness of the HD-600. However, if one did not own a dedicated headphone amp, its bass boost may be needed and welcome.

More testing to come.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve never had chance to try the HD600, as I have never come across it at a reasonable (to me) price. I have a love/hate relationship with the HD6XX (as I mentioned in my review of it) but still hold on to it because there are certain days that it is great.

I have always wondered (being a fan of neutral bass) if I would prefer the HD600.

2 Likes

I used to own both 600 & 650 some years ago. I found the 600 clearly more lively sounding, basically lacking that overt warmth in the lower mids of 650. It wasnā€™t hard to decide which to keep. The 650 might have had a wee bit of pad wear, but nothing really noticeable.

My HD600 now sports the 650 cable, headband padding and a pair of fresh pads. It still gets some use, but does get shadowed by my Clear. The Focal has much better reach in the extremes, better resolution and a more punchy, fun & less middy overall tonality. Clear is the closest thing to a ā€œbetter HD600ā€ Iā€™ve found yet.

5 Likes

I think Sennheiser took standard-size plastic driver technology to its limit with the 600. They are very temperamental and require both an appropriate non-bright DAC and a non-noisy amp, but become a junior Clear when you get it right. They will always have less extended highs and lows and limited dynamics, but are solid.

I think Iā€™m hearing a thicker, heavier, and less precise driver in the 58X. Itā€™s loud when it makes any sound at all. I think Iā€™m hearing a mixed sensitive-plus-thicker driver in the 6XX. In contrast, the 600 is delicate and maximally responsive to input across the board.

4 Likes

The hd 600 is still the gold standard for natural timbre for me. The Focals (Elex, Clear) are very similar, but not quite as natural IMO.

2 Likes

Had the 600 for six years now. Its quite good on my Rag 1, but has these traits:

1. A few hot spots above above 3k. EQ cuts that, but not entirely.
  2. bass starts to fall at 85 hz, big drop under 50 hz - EQ can help solidify down to 35-40 Hz, but its with authority.
  3. below average soundstage.

But a friend insisted I listen on his unmodified BHCs, and it was remarkable. I now have my own BHCs+.

1. Gone, instead a warm romantic euphonic edged sound that is still accurate.
  2. Bass solid into 30ā€™s, with EQ square it off at 30 Hz. A bit thick vs SS, not annoying.
  3. Soundstage now has huge center fill, decent hard left and right, and these mid left and rights that are slightly buckled front to back - like a hinge. This is the amp not the cans. Better than SS even so.
5 Likes

Moving the HD 600 discussion over here to avoid going too far off-topic on Resolveā€™s headphone ranking threadā€¦

Tube amps can look intimidating but they donā€™t have to be. It can be tricky seating the tubes in their sockets, and the tubes get hot. But besides this and making sure you use only the tubes recommended by the manufacturer, thereā€™s little to worry about. Tube rolling is entirely optional. The stock ones will have been selected by the designer/manufacturer to work nicely, possibly ideally for the amp (while keeping the cost of the amp reasonable).

Youā€™ll need to burn in the new tubes, typically for 20 or 40 hours. But you donā€™t need to do anything special here - just play music and listen to it as you ordinarily would while the tubes burn in. The tubes may make some odd sounds at first, as they warm up and settle down - the occasional hiss or pop - but once burned in and up to temperature, theyā€™ll come to sound great. Each time you use it, youā€™ll need to give the amp 15-20 minutes to warm up before the sound becomes ideal. I avoid using tube amps if Iā€™m only going to be listening briefly. I understand that turning them on and off again repeatedly stresses the heaters and will shorten the tubesā€™ lives. I usually turn the amp on and leave it on when I know Iā€™m going to have a good listening session for a couple of hours or more.

Iā€™m not sure what your budget would be, but for the HD 600, some good amps might include the following:

The ZDT Jr.
This amp is out of production now. It usually comes up for sale second hand. Donā€™t pay more than $350 for it, and beware of units that suffer from a hum. Ask the seller about this. The ZDT Jr was sold by Drop. Drop offered to fix those amps that suffered from a hum, and the ones that were fixed have a white dot on the back. The ZDT Jr. has a nice, slightly warm sound to it. It has some of that tubey gooey goodness. It does help with improving the staging of the HD 600. Itā€™s not the best amp for the bass response; itā€™s a bit flabby and loose, but this shouldnā€™t be a big problem if you like the HD 600. Itā€™s not an issue for me.

SW51+
This amp is also hard to come by. It was made by a guy in Russia as an exclusive for members of the SBAF forum. He may still be taking orders, Iā€™m not sure. He makes them in periodic batches, and each batch can take several months to be produced and shipped. Used, the SW51+ sells for $350; new itā€™s just over $400. Itā€™s a more neutral amp than the ZDT Jr., and doesnā€™t project as large or spacious a soundstage, but it has a lovely tuning and makes for a wonderfullly engaging, immersive listen, one thatā€™s full of detail and timbral richness. I also like itā€™s staging with the HD 600; it makes for excellent imaging and separation and layering, and it has a nice effect of spreading the stage a bit wider. It has a gentle sweetness with the HD 600 thatā€™s tremendously appealing. Itā€™s also an amp that delivers a rich midrange presentation, which makes it a pleasure to listen at lower volumes.

The only other tube amp Iā€™ve heard with the HD 600 is the Drop Cavalli Tube Hybrid but while itā€™s decent, itā€™s out of production, and you do better with other alternatives. Another tube hybrid amp (i.e. one that also has solid state components), is the

Vali 2+
This is an affordable, highly regarded amp, one that is said to pair nicely with Sennheiser headphones. It is famed for punching well above its weight and for having a lovely sound to it. For $150 itā€™s well worth a listen. You can always send it back minus a 15% restocking fee (and shipping expense, of course) within 15 days if you donā€™t like it. Iā€™ve not heard the HD 600 with it, and Iā€™ve only heard earlier versions, but itā€™s a great little amp and might be ideal as a starter one for you. You donā€™t have to worry about getting matching pairs of tubes, for instance. Iā€™d recommend starting here, with this amp.

Other tube hybrids to consider are, potentially, the Schiit Audio Lyr 3 and the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum. They might work well for you but Iā€™ve not heard them. @generic can comment on the Lyr 3 pairing, I think. (The Monoprice goes on sale for ca. $500 every once in a while; donā€™t fork out the list price of $800 for it, much less the current list price of $1K; Monoprice is constantly shifting the prices online).

The Schiit Valhalla 2 might be another more affordable option but itā€™s known for being neutral and having a dry treble that might not synergize well with the HD 600. The Bottlehead Crack DIY amp might be an option - again, @generic can help here - but youā€™ll either have to build it yourself of buy it from someone who has (this might entail some risk; check the seller knows what he or she is doing).

Higher-end tube amps include the Quicksilver, which has been getting positive reviews, and also the Feliks Audio amps as well as the Woo Audio ones. Iā€™ve not heard them. There could well be plenty of others. I hope this helps!

6 Likes