Sennheiser HD 650 over-ear open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Here are the Sennheiser HD 650 measurements done on the B&K 5128.

Compensated

Raw

I will eventually replace these with channel matching as well, but currently waiting on an additional adapter to make that an easier part of the process.

7 Likes

First 5128 measurement? Nice!

1 Like

I’d love to see a measurement of the AKG K361.

Can you post your new target as a *.txt file?

It’s not finalized yet. We still have a bunch of testing to do.

Ah I see, sure thing!

Hi I(Totally agree, Cables can increase the sound quality. Some people are sceptical but I have experienced a 10% gain in Sound Quality Stronger Bass, and a more spacious soundstage. I am using it on balanced port of my K9 Pro Ess, which is a awesome Dac/Amp and makes everything sound better.Here is link for anyone interested in swapping out cheap stock cable.

1 Like

My personal take on headphone cable theory:
An amplified audio signal is often altered purposefully in order to selectively filter certain frequencies. The most simple implementation is that of a first order crossover. By simply inserting x value of resistance or capacitance in series of the circuit, one can filter selective frequencies from the audio transducer. This is how your tweeter, and woofer may have divided high frequencies to a tweeter, and low frequencies to a woofer.
Taken to minimal measurements of conductors within our headphone cables, measurable impedance exist. Certainly only a fraction in comparison to an actual electrical component capacitor or resistor. Nevertheless, a measurable quantity of resistance. This would absolutely have an audible and measurable filtration of certain frequencies that would react with varying impedance of the connected transducer.
Also, within the construction of our headphone cables, a compounding factor are the resistance effects of the connectors utilized as plugs at both ends. When all three of these are combined, it is possible to have minute existence of higher order filtering taking place beyond first order, which in theory would also affect phase. I am not too concerned about any minute effect on phase. Although there is the possibility that it exists in some headphone cables that are designed with poor quality connectors.
Another element of concern when combining multiple components of the headphone cable and transducers is the reaction of the amplifier reaction to these various occurrences of resistance and capacitance. However, quality amplification designs are usually engineered to be robust enough to meet variations of impedance with adequate sustained voltage. So, this should not really present too much concern in real world scenarios unless one is using a really crappy amplifier. Yet it remains on my mind because I am fascinated (obsessed) by these minute audible characteristic differences that different amplifiers present with different combinations of headphones.
Solder used in headphone cables:
I also chose to use silver solder when I construct cables and interconnects in order to minimize resistance compared to lead solder. But I really don’t think that it makes any audible difference. I only do this because the slight increase of conductance of silver helps put my mind and conscience at ease so that I can sleep at night.
But then what if we think in extremes? What if someone were to give me a headphone cable made from pure silver conductor, soldered with pure gold, and terminated with pure gold? Would it improve my headphones? I hypothesize that such a headphone cable would be too conductive and would reproduce the audio signal in a manner that amplifiers were not designed under. Designers of amplifiers likely test their designs using the most common and abundant headphone cable designs that end users use. That would be oxygen free conductors, combined with lead solder, and cheap mass produced Chinese connectors. So that is likely what the acceptable baseline is that one should begin with. From that point we may each deviate to our subjective cozy cable.

3 Likes

Try my quantum mechanical cable in which the signal arrives before it is produced.

2 Likes

You mean like the one Marty McFly was wearing?
If his parents don’t get back together, doesn’t the audio signal disappear from existence?

4 Likes

HD6XX on massdrop! Great price. I own them upgraded cable with 16 core occ balanced output, sounds awesome.

I upgraded my HD6XX with 16 core occ copper with balanced 4.4 m jack, and they sound amazing!

Hi everyone - I’m writing to share my quick impressions of the HD6XX. I purchased them a little over a month ago and, out of the box, wasn’t really fan (they sounded fuzzy to my ears). I burned-in the headphones using Tara Labs Cascade Free Burn In Disc (on repeat, at night only, for a week, with the headphones covered in a blanket to muffle the sound). There was a very big improvement - they sounded more detailed relative to when they were out of the box. They just “cleared up”. While I don’t think the HD6XX is the last word in detail, they are a lot of fun to listen to.

However, I still found the HD6XX to be bright (I think this is the 5-6k bump I saw in the measurements) and lacking in bass extension. I read on another forum about Accurate Sounds’ EQ filters for headphones by Mitch Barnett. While the articles focused on the impact his filters had on the Raal CA1A, Audeze TOTLs, and Abyss headphones, I saw that Mitch sells a filter for the HD6XX. I really found the HD6XX improved greatly after applying his convolution filter. I’m running his filter through HQPlayer. Bass extension has improved dramatically and the “brightness” I noticed recessed greatly. Music sounds far more balanced, while retaining the big and fun sound these cans deliver. With the EQ, I find the presentation far more balanced and cohesive. For the price of the HD6XX and the EQ filter, I think you get one hell of a headphone.

Have others here used Mitch’s filters? Or other EQ curves?

My chain, if anyone cares:

HQPlayer (PCM, Sinc L / Sinc M, TPDF, 768khz) / PGGB-RT > Netgear GS108E Switch > ultraRendu (LPS 1.2) > Gustard X26 Pro > Topping A90 > HD6xx (Accurate Sounds Convolution Filter) / Drop + DCA Open X / Thieaudio Oracle Mk 1 / Tin Hifi P1 (USound EQ)

5 Likes

I have a hard time paying $40 for convolution filters when Jaakko’s have worked wonderfully for me and are free. But I’m glad you like Mitch’s filter.

1 Like

Have you guys tried the Resolve 5128 EQ for the HD 650? It’s free. I no longer own the 650, but his 5128 EQ for the 600 sounds darn good.

Not sure how it’ll compare to the convolution filter EQ, but it’s worth a shot.

1 Like

Don’t know whether this is old news, but it’s the first time I’ve heard this level of confirmation (Reddit thread):

however, when you do an analysis, the hd650 actually differs from the 6xx in measurement
[Oratory1990]: It does not. I’ve measured multiple units of both, and the individual part-to-part variation on either model is larger than the difference between the averages. They’re the same headphone (acoustically).

So, apparently now looks safe to say that the only differences between the 6XX and the 650 really are minor cosmetics/build details. Unless someone has evidence to contrary?

1 Like

This horse really has been flogged to death…it was established right from the very beginning that the headphones were identical.

Disgruntled HD650 owners simply couldn’t deal…the 6xx HAD to be different!

What is beyond any doubt is that the 6xx is the biggest bargain in audio, period.

PS upon reflection my post may seem a little condescending to @Dudley_Doody
I really did not mean it to read that way and thanks for your contribution.

5 Likes

This! All day long, this.

To also flog a dead horse – I was a member of Massdrop prior to the very first 6XX release. I thereby received their email announcements and everyone knew exactly what the 6XX was. It was presented as the 650 in midnight blue with co-branding. Nothing more, nothing less. I had demoed the retail 650 but bought the retail 600, so I wasn’t interested at the time.

They characterized the 6XX as a one-time limited special discount deal for Massdrop members only. That was indeed the volume-buy Massdrop sales model of the era. They made 4,000 or 5,000 units available and sold out instantly. It seems that neither Mass(Drop) nor Sennheiser expected the demand so there was a second drop, and it was soon brought back to regular production as an endless cash cow.

Given Mass(Drop)'s later marketing practices, I think they and Sennheiser regretted its low initial price. They briefly bumped the price up and then dropped it again. They also castrated the HD 800’s drivers with a hole punch for the discount 8XX. Still, the 6XX brought a whole lot of new people into the headphone hobby and opened a lot of minds.

11 Likes

:laughing: :+1:

LOL that killed me! Ouch!

2 Likes