Sennheiser HD 660S - Official Discussion

I’m very saddened to read this.
I love my HD660.
I hope you will get a new one in exchange of your faulty ones.

2 Likes

went to my retailer, he listened to them and he noticed it too so i wasn‘t crazy :sweat_smile: he sent me to a certified repair shop to diagnose them and the guy from the repair shop told me that there was indeed a problem and he will contact the store to get them replaced asap! too bad this also happened with my dads beats studio 3 :frowning:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your headphones, what a nuisance. I realize you’ve only shared a quick summary of your experience:

I may be missing more of the story that’s relevant, but it’s astonishing that the retailer makes you go to all this trouble because he sold you a dud pair of headphones, ones that he can immediately tell are defective. You might consider finding a better retailer, if that’s an option.

5 Likes

this retailer is the only certified senheisser retailer… it’s the best we have here and the fact that they will send me a replacement is good on its own cause all the other stores that have senheisser products don‘t replace them for you and you only get your money back. funny thing is that they would get me my replacements by next week but next week they close for summer so i will get them someday in september…

4 Likes

Hello! i got my replacements today!!! and they work as they should! i can finally enjoy these beauties. I love that sound and that comfort oh my gosh

4 Likes

Hey @ericrosenfield,

How is the new Elite Sheepskin pad treating you? We should probably discuss everything related to the HD660S in this thread.

As an exercise – ergh, I knew I was going to regret – I tried once again the Choice Leather pad with the HD660S. It took me 2 songs to realize sound was weird, probably because the first song was not a good sample.

It was very easy to spot the muffled sound with the track below. Go to around 3’15" and wait for the guitars to kick in:

Went back to the Earpadz Velour. It’s still a little bit muffled, but forgivable to my brain. The “best” pad I have here is probably the one I have in the 58X. My ears literally touch the inner foam and I feel no pain anymore because of the callus cultivated in both ears. :laughing: :muscle:

Cheers. :beers:

3 Likes

Hi!
The sheepskins are still the most comfortable HD6X0 pads I’ve tried, but I don’t like what they do to the sound.

Right now I’m using the 6XX pads which I still like better than the ones that come with the 660S or the Earpadz. I’m thinking of trying the ones that Drop themselves sell, maybe the velour ones will be similar enough? Drop Earpads for HD 6XX & 58X | Headphone Earpads / Eartips

2 Likes

I guess I’ll hold the purchase for the fenestrated version then. haha

I’m not familiar with the ones above from Drop. I think some folks on the forum tried the Yaxi pads for the HD650, although I can’t comment on that either.

1 Like

I tried putting the Elite Sheepskin pads on my 6XX and just use them to watch talking head videos. I didn’t even like them for that, they made the voices sound weirdly echo-y like they were coming down a tunnel.

1 Like

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Litter Box

This is an apology. Few months back i made a fool of myself regarding my 660s having static issues and problems with return to sennheiser.
Bottom line is that I re purchased on amazon for $380 a few weeks ago.
You guys were right. The problem was that my room was a hotbed of static electricity. Once i removed those long headphone cables from the carpeted floor the problem dissapeared. Also helping the problem was the removal of my rubber sole shoes. I was getting sparks every time i touched my Rebel amp. Lol
I think the phones pair very well with the Rebel.
Excellent detail and imaging.
So please except my apologies for the rant. Lessons learned.
Thx

6 Likes

Woow, that was new to me.

We should probably have added the “Test with cell phone” item to the checklist. That would probably make the troubleshooting way easier back then. :grimacing:

And there goes the proof that cables do matter. :speak_no_evil: :zipper_mouth_face: :grin:

I’ve been experiencing this lately…. I recently replaced the leather theater seats I had in my listening room with a fabric Lazyboy reclining loveseat. If I get up out of the couch after reclining with my headphones on, as soon as my feet touch the floor …… ZAAPPP !!! It’s like a Tesla coil on my head!!! What feels like hundred little lightning bolts in both ears. It’s quite startling…”shocking” even :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Not sure what to do about it other than take my headphones off before I get up. Still, the first thing I touch shocks me every time. Better than getting shocked in the ear-holes though!!

2 Likes

Well, you could install a grounding mat or wear a grounding strap.

2 Likes

There are all sorts of commercial/industrial anti-static floor or table mats available too. Computers and sensitive electronics don’t do well around static.

2 Likes

Initial impressions…I have to say my 660s pairs extremely well with my Geshelli 2.5 pro. Very very clean and impactful. Much better than my thx789 and very close with my thx 887. Definitely cleaner than both with the 887 having a bit more richness.
Besides being a bit bass shy the 660 can sound a bit too crisp with some edginess on certain recordings but the geshelli cleanliness seems to greatly mitigate the problem. Very impressed with this amp. Btw no pot problems with this amp. Has been a nightmare with the thx’s.

Just to follow up on my earlier posts about ear pads, the new ZMF pads for the 6X0 series are the best pads. They don’t have the main problem that I had with the Dekoni pads being too thick so that even with the arms bent the clamp force was crazy, and they’re much more comfortable than the Drop pads or any of the cheap pads you’ll find on Amazon, and more comfortable than the ones you’ll buy from Sennheiser that have a weird edge to them that digs into my head. And the sound quality is the same if not better. So yeah, that’s my recommendation. (EDIT: I’m using the Suade pads that DMS recommended.)

6 Likes

I really loved the pad comfort of my original 2008 HD650’s with factory pads. I just replaced them with new Sennheiser pads and you’re exactly right. The new pads have a tapered edge the previous factory pads did not.

New factory pads are not as comfortable. They seem stiffer too than when original pads were new.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Will certainly have a look at ZMF’s offer once I consume all the pads I have here. :joy:

My HD660S has the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin for over 6 months now. They do break in after a while and they are the ones that make the cans disappear in my (narrow) head. My thing with the HD660S and these pads is the listening volume. I can’t hear it too loud nor too quiet. Sweet spot is in the 80dB ballpark.

Ended up purchasing a second set from Dekoni. Same fabric but B-Stock this time. Upon arrival, I had compared the stock pad on the HD650 with the brand new (and thicker) Fenestrated Sheepskin on the spare HD6XX – both volume matched – and decided that difference was tolerable to my ears. Not tolerable enough for the HD650 though, so this new set is now in the HD600 instead.

As long as I have the 650 and the 6XX around, pad rolling became much easier. :smile:

Cheers. :beers:

1 Like

Did you try the YAXI pads for Sennheiser? Probably not as good as ZMF, but price is reasonable. I really like them on my HD-580.