Sennheiser HD 800 S - Open Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

That’s the kind of service that turns people off quick. When you communicate with a company they need to respond in a timely fashion. It’s like a restuarant. You get a bad meal, you don’t come back.

2 Likes

Special Anniversary Edition!

6 Likes

I’ve been having a pair of :eyes: on these for a while. Pulled the trigger 5 days ago.

6 Likes

Congrats! they are lovely and one of my favorite headphones!

3 Likes

Got the anniversary edition in today. I guess I finally understood what is that darn soundstage term everyone talks about. :smile:

I’ll probably refine the concept down the road, but as of today I feel like the speakers (drivers) disappear with the HD800S. When I go back to the HD 6XX, I can instantly spot where the sound is coming from, for instance.

Loved the pairing with the LP:

Although the $100 Liquid Spark also did a great job. My ears seem not be picky about amps. :pray: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

Loved the tonality out of the box as well. Here’s the FR for these cans. I understand this was done for all other HD800S as well, or is this something limited to the anniversary edition?

Cheers. :beers:

15 Likes

Nice Acquisition. You’re gonna like them.

1 Like

Thanks. Indeed. Instant love. Those angled drivers are a nice trick.

My only caveat so far is that I keep finding myself listening too loud. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Almost a week with the cans and so far my biggest complaint is the amount of hair I’ve been losing in both sides of my head whenever I take them off. Seems like aging is simply not enough. :weary:

Luckily I found the culprit and am already working in the solution.

Other than that, so far so good. Cheers. :beers:

6 Likes

Only today I was able to hear Hotel California – the 1994 acoustic version from MTV.

Sacrilege. :pray: :heavy_check_mark:

4 Likes

Did you wait for hell to freeze over? My personal favorite track on that album is The Last Resort.

2 Likes

Been “runnin’ with the devil” with this new computer in the past week along with its audio glitches. That detoured me from more pleasurous activities. R.I.P. EVH. :guitar:

3 Likes

Oh I see. Good luck with resolving those glitches. RIP Shredder Supreme.

1 Like

Congrats @frkasper !!!

1 Like

Ciao @MRHifiReviews. Grazie Mille.

1 Like

HD 800 S is for classical and jazz music, right? Have these people ever listened to AC/DC? :triumph:

Just listened to Thunderstruck. WOOW… :rofl:

Turbo mode with Sonarworks

Here’s what I dialed in for these cans – with a single push of a button.

AC/DC sounds even more aggressive with settings above. :love_you_gesture:

Cheers. :beers:

6 Likes

I have the original HD 800 and love it for other genres besides classical and jazz (see the caveat below). Of course, it’s excellent for music performed with acoustic instruments, famously so, and I think this means that we forget how good it can be with rock and other music. I’m a fan of Mogwai and the HD 800 makes some of the songs sound magnificent. Sometimes booming, blaring electric guitars need a nice, big open and spacious soundstage and a good bit of bite!

The three main caveats to the above, are: 1) the ability to tolerate the HD 800 with electrified or electronic music depends on how piercing the treble gets on individual albums, recordings, or tracks; 2) fatigue sets in pretty quickly, and 3) the HD 800 S, with the thicker bass, is better suited to rock and electronic music (unless the original 800 has mods).

7 Likes

I have been DSP’ing my headphones for a while and this exercise has taught me a very important lesson: once I start a listening session with some settings I stick to it until to very end. The only exception to that is Sonarworks (or my custom DAW presets), which is typically a On/Off switch with the latter being stock tuning.

I can’t tell if I’m just lucky but in the past 2 weeks with these cans I have never felt any fatigue with stock tuning. The very only moments when that happened were when DSP (EQ) was engaged. I just had this moments ago, btw, while listening to Creep by Radiohead with Sonarworks. Woow, the crunched guitars bite from the chorus part were simply too much even for me. Had to turn the volume down. :smile:

Back to stock tuning, I guess my personal too-much-treble reference is the Black album from Metallica. I was hoping to find it very treblish and impossible to be heard with the HD 800 S. I’m happy I was wrong about that. But this is something I can’t compare with other samples either, since my unit is the very first I ever heard from the family.

Not to mention the type of songs being listened – another huge variable in the table. Since I listen to songs from 70-90s at probably 90% of time, bass/treble issues have not been of any concern so far. :stuck_out_tongue:

If something is bothering me sound-wise I just go ahead and turn down the volume. My OCD tends to focus to other stupid things rather than sound quality. :rofl:

Cheers.

5 Likes

I use mine, for jazz, smooth jazz, rock, blues, bluegrass instrumentals and Movie Soundtracks. They sound good with all , in my opinion. Maybe its has to do with the amps and dacs used. Really don’t have any EQ’ing set up.

3 Likes

Yes, I have a dark DAC (the Drop Airist RDAC) and a warm amp (Eddie Current ZDT Jr.). That makes a difference on the OG 800.

3 Likes

One word: “soundgasm”.

2 Likes