Sennheiser HD 800 S - Open Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I have a buddy letting me borrow these to try out.

I am debating getting these and a some Hifman Arya’s, or just going all out on a the Focal Utopia’s.

I been saving for some time now. I will say going from the Veritie as mostly my daily I wonder what I will think of the HD800s.

1 Like

I just got the hd800s in, having a panic attack trying to get the cable out, wow its in there. I was nervous from all the horror story’s around people pulling the whole connector housing out.

Later:
OK so far, they have great soundstage, imaging, detail, very dry mids, semi bright highs, and poor lows.

However, there is something about them that makes me enjoy listening to music, perhaps its how clean they sound. IDK if I plan on keeping them at this point.

I think the next realistic step is to just call it a day and buy the Utopia’s. I don’t know if they have enough of a WOW factor for me to justify keeping them.

You’re going to get a much different soundstage with the Utopias though and perhaps less comfort. Tonality wise is a crapshoot based on your preferences. I find the Utopia very balanced with my audio chain but others find them counterclockwise tilted.

4 Likes

Interesting, I had heard and read the Utopia soundstage is pretty much not there especially comparing to other flagship headphones.

The HD800s is probably the most comfortable headphone I have worn to date, that is for sure. It is super light, but feels well put together.

2 Likes

The Utopia has a good bit of clamp, I got a big head though. I cant buy a hat in a typical store that would fit me so legit big not I just think its big big. I know others have had similar issue with various Focals.

With my tube amp I can get a good enough stage with the Utopia and even get some holography. Im not fixated on staging that much. The imaging is tremendous which helps with the smallish stage.

2 Likes

A good bit of clamp on my head as well, plus the ear cup was a bit too small for my largish ears.
Imaging was tremendous and sound stage was small and not very deep with SS or tube amplification.
I hope for a bigger ear cup and less clamping pressure in their next flagship model.
That beryllium driver in a Senn 800 type housing and headband, I’d go for that sound.
No longer own the Utopia, did a barter for a custom built OTL.

2 Likes

When you put on the Ananda of all head headphones and go WOW there is the Dynamic punch!

I am starting to love the HD800s for the things it does do great. It sounds so clean, wide, and resolving, it is very nice. I am hearing little things in the recording I hardly noticed or didn’t notice before.

5 Likes

That’s why I still have / use my HD800’s.Theyt just needs the right driving amp to bring out their best,
That being said, that Beryllium driver in the Utopia is exceptional for a dynamic driver, maybe the best dynamic design I’ve ever heard.

I’m interested in the Diana Phi as a potentially more comfortable super Utopia. But that’s a while down the road. Focal is due to update some things but even “old” headphones sound good.

2 Likes

I found this EQ profile online, I tried it out, it makes less detail but cools the high peaks and adds little flavor of bass. I am on the fence still about it, kind of like the 800s without EQ. Anyone have any EQ profiles they are using?

OK, I love the HD800s, great headphone despite the lack of bass, the soundstage, clarity, and the detail makes you forget all about it. You get used to it. With EQ it can make up for it a little bit.

The problem I am currently having is, Focal Utopia, or HD800s and the Arya… decisions… decisions…

Selling my Empire Ear’s Legend X if anyone is interested, just let me know.

3 Likes

If you’re loving the soundstage of the HD800s, then replacing them with the Utopia sounds like a terrible idea. Soundstage is seemingly the weakest attribute of Focal headphones - I own the Clears and can confirm that they sound a bit congested compared to the HD800s - so forcing yourself to choose between two of the most spacious headphones in existence and the Utopias doesn’t sound like a recipe for contentment.

My suggestion would be to keep the HD800s and find something more tonally rich to complement them. Soundstage aside, the HD800s and Utopia are arguably quite similar in the way they sacrifice tonality for detail - the Clears likewise - so why not go for something completely different?

6 Likes

Thank you for your recommendation, that is the plan I am leaning towards currently, going with the Arya and keeping the HD800s.

However, Sounds stage aside how does the bass, mids, treble, dynamics, imaging, and timbre compare?

From what I have read the dynamics are better, timbre might be more natural on the HD800s, detail and imaging would go to the Utopia, bass extension, mids, and treble would go to the Utopia too maybe?

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsUkutNnI0

Ohh my. His guitar plucks are from outer space with the HD800S.

1 Like

found a gem from my wife’s long list of kpop songs that strangely sounds sooo good (to my ears/brain) on the hd800s for those daring enough to try some ultra-addictive korean female vocals… this song sounds weird on all my other headphones though but shines on the hd800s…

Its not on Tidal, found it on youtube and spotify. Im using @chrono 's eq settings on an adi2dac with an additional +1 to the bass (vol -4.5db/+13db) > phonitor X (vol pot @ 10/+22db) > balance cabled. Oh her voice is like if a dream could materialize as sound…

Summary

edit - found this artist singing in another song that’s unfortunately only available on youtube from some singing competition she was on…
https://youtu.be/bUNGCXVEYi8

and here’s another song from the same show by 2 other female vocalist that figuratively melted my brain.
https://youtu.be/m5wTRh2jWc8
they are not poppy songs, but the vocals during the crescendos… :boom::relieved::gun:

*disclaimer the last 2 songs sounded better on my HEDDphones (vol pot @ 11/+22db on phonitor) than on the hd800s but still divine

2 Likes

I picked up a set of Dekoni Hybrid pads for my HD800s. They measure (at least on my EARS) pretty close to stock (bit more at 4k, less at 6k). I find them a) cheaper and b) more comfortable (the part that touches my face is wider, they stay in place better, there’s slightly more clamping pressure). Currently testing this as my EQ profile (dialed in through hours of EARS measurements, so take with a salt lick):

3 Likes

Good stuff. Someday I may try a custom pad for the HD800S.

After being disappointed with a “Choice Leather” for the HD6 series – and the plastic snapping part that got broken – I ended up softening the foams up by leaving the pads under a few books for a week. It helped sound-wise, but still far away from stock sound though. The outcome is that the HD58X is currently being used for Skype calls rather than music. It is what it is.

1 Like

Yeah, I ordered Dekoni Hybrid pads for the HD6XX and it sounded like part of the sound was missing. Sennheiser did a really good job of tuning cans & pads together. I prefer the HD800S stock pads sound wise, but I like the way the Dekotni pads feel better (and with EQ I can have both).

1 Like

I am wondering if I should pickup the HD800 and try that mod, can anyone point to a review with the mod?

I own both, I’d say go with the “S”. Smoother highs and slightly more robust bass. I tried aftermarket pads, the stock are the best from a fit, comfort and sound perspective to my way of dealing with them.

A poster by the name of “sorodgee” and I am not sure at all on that spelling, over at head-fi developed it originally as far as I know. Tyl did a comparison of the different mods available at his site but don’t know if its available anymore to view.