Smsl sp200

Great call on the volume nob, thanks man.

1 Like

So I will have to say now knowing what I know the SMSL SU-8 THX SP200 Combo isn’t my favorite listen compared to the LYR/Bifrost or even my IFI Micro IDSD Black Label. Both of those other units provide a more enjoyable listening experience. Really I am not sure how much of this is the SU8 DAC and how much of this is the amps fault. I am to spoiled to move my Bifrost over to the thx amp lol it just sounds so good paired with the LYR. Maybe I will try hooking up the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label to it eventually to see if that improves the sound.

I imagine the Bifrost smooths things out a bit really giving you a better listening experience. Are you still running this combo?

2 Likes

Bifrost + SP200? Yes, still, but for work related reasons I’m most of the time using my iFi Micro with the over the ears or my ES100 with the LCD i3 ( this last one is getting more interest from me this year).
But yes, Bifrost smooths the THX and I don’t even have Bifrost 2, but the one just a few months before therefore I’m assuming B2 will pair better with the SMSL amp, just give them a try.
Lyr is in my plans this year, but given the little time I have right now I’ll rather wait instead of having a second amp collecting dust…who know if Schiit make it in black!!! Then I’ll buy it right away.

2 Likes

All so true for me as well(789 instead of SP200)
The Lyr 3 in black and I am in

2 Likes

Maybe we should buy it and send it to Mike Jagger firs :thinking:

Then he sent it back to us!! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

would be a cool service by him!
You start

1 Like

I contacted Schiit they said they have zero plans to make one in black :confused:

2 Likes

How has your 789 sounded now that you have the RME vs the SU8? We’re you able to A/B them?

I did not A/B them
Send the SU-8 v2 back after 5 months usage, a few weeks after I bought the RME ADI 2

I wrote the reseller about some problems with strange sounds between songs and got offered full refund.

The RME/THX AAA 789 stack is a good source for the Elegia and the 6xx (both balanced)
The RME hf out on High power with EQ, is better for the DT 1990 Pro vs the stack.
The ifi xDSD is not a good pairing with the 6xx, though top for the DT 1990 Pro with analytical pads and the Elegia

The SU-8 was way earlier fatiguing, cause dry/britle and in your face vs the RME ADI 2 DAC - Both as DAC into the THX

Now especially with the 6xx, I can listen many hours- like I did this morning for 4hrs before my wife woke up and had zero fatigue. I used all sorts of crappy tracks, where I know the bad produced parts. I did also use my chillin songs and was not bored at all.
So the synergy seems pretty good right now.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the SU-8v2 is good if you have higher frequency hearing loss for some as it’s brittle/sterile and bright with the THX pairings compared to other DAC’s I have heard.

1 Like

This really could be the case- interesting thought!
I was tested with up to 18.5 … with my 43years- so not bad for beeing over a decade on concerts, as security in the pit, working behind the counter in discotheqs and standing on the door by the entrance. All without hearing protection.
My parents never did anything to harm their hearing and lost many at about 55-60 and now it gets rapidly worse. So maybe I have 15 years left before it gets down.

2 Likes

I was on another forum last night reading about how many of the guys with some upper-frequency hearing loss loved it, and many of the younger guys hated it, got me to thinking maybe why other forums and people gave it such glowing reviews. Just goes to show we all hear things differently. I wish I could return mine, but I honestly can not invest that kind of money for an RME either right now, so it would have to be something with balanced outs in the same $200 price range…which may be hard to find.

2 Likes

There is nothing I would be aware of.
Maybe the one american company with optical in only
Ehhm is it geshelli?
With the Bifrost 2 you do have the possibilty to connect more than 1 AMP- just get a passive noobsound switch

1 Like

Yeah but they are not next to each other so, I need one for my desktop workstation too, I will just use the SU8 and the Loki to adjust what I don’t like until next year when my budget is re loaded lol!

One thing could help - Stop buying gorgious hf stands :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Are they more than 30feet apart from each other?

1 Like

Lol! I know I bought those before I decided to get the ZMF :man_facepalming:

1 Like

No I don’t think so but the Bifrost recommends keeping the connection at 3m

1 Like

Oh another thing learned today!

1 Like

Has anyone got to hear the smsl sp200 paired with the topping D90?