Sub- Bass Headphone

Yep, I have had that chart bookmarked for a long time now. I always try and recommend it to people whenever I can. Super useful tool when doing critical listening and thinking about specific instruments and how they sound across the frequency spectrum

2 Likes

Sorry to necro an old topic, but I’m new to this forum and can’t seem to find a way to create a new post.

I play bass and use Sony MDR-XB950BTs. So far, these are the only headphones I’ve used and actually liked for playing in live scenarios where I need to feel the bass more than hear it; they go down to something like 4hz and little else in my limited experience has comes close (I’ve tried some Audio Technica, Sennheiser, and in a pinch had to borrow a pair of Dr. Beats–and that week, I just went without click/tracks because they were…unfortunate). However–I know there are other models out there and I’d love to find something with even more sub-bass feeling, if that makes sense. What do you recommend under $300?

1 Like

If you mean create a new topic, that’s by design - new users can reply to existing threads (though the first few posts there require approval also) and after they’ve participated a while they gain the ability to create new topics.

This is largely to stop both raw spam, and to avoid having hundreds of separate topics all asking fundamentally the same question.

1 Like

Thanks! I was reviewing the levels of trust but didn’t expressly see that creating a new topic was not allowed at the entry level. :slight_smile: Thanks for clarifying!

Fantastic sub bass can be found fairly cheap with some patience on the old Sennheiser HD250.
I did a review of them on my YouTube channel around one year ago.

Made me forget about my old LCD-2. Ridiculous sub bass on these old dinosaurs.
Theyre hard to find,and even harder to find at a decent price. Last time I looked there was one pair on eBay for $500.00 . I paid $75.00 shipped for mine. Another GOTL owner took me up on my recommendation last week and got a pair for less than that,though his pair are the Linear ll and made in Ireland as opposed to my pair,which are Linear l and made in Germany. Apparently the Irish made have less bass than the German made. Dont quote me on that. Just repeating what others have said.

1 Like

I love the bass from a good biocellulose driver so the Fostex TH derivatives tend to be to my liking. The Sony MDR7 (hopefully got that number right) had some of the smoothest bass I’ve enjoyed (didn’t care for other aspects of that headphone though).

As an almost certified Audeze fanboy, the LCD-2 Closed probably hold the crown for me with the E-MU Teaks close second (not as bassy as the X00 but more balanced and better overall IMO).

2 Likes

Welcome.

When you are playing bass, and listening to headphones, do you need to hear everyone else? I’m assuming electric bass, which has (for a 4 string instrument) a fundamental of 40 hz, or 30 hz for the lowest tones on a 5 or 6 string instrument. (My chart says your open E string is 41.2 hz)

Have you tried using equalization (EQ) in your playback?

This isn’t really sub-bass, but it is where many heaphones crap out (a technical term…:wink: )
I notice that most musicians on stage use some sort of IEM rather than headphones.

1 Like

Does anyone have amp recommendations for making the most of the Eikon’s sub-bass? I’m using my trusty JDS Labs O2/ODAC combo (original version) and it’s decent, but sometimes I feel a hankering for a little more really deep sub-bass (not mid bass). I’d preferably be shopping in the hundreds, not thousands, of dollars, and have had my eye on these modestly priced THX AAA thingies. Would any of those be a significant upgrade in this regard? Or anything else that would be a good match and have some sub-bass power?

These?

Wonky FR. By wonky I mean you’re better off buying Beats. Pads weren’t all that comfortable. They did fold up, and traveled nicely. That’s about the only thing I think they did well, infact.

Edit: Wow, did I just Necro an old thread? Sorry.

2 Likes

When they skin a headphone with a bad tattoo, you should know what you’re in for…

1 Like

Jotunheim or Gilmore Lite MK2.

Actually, a pre-owned Mjolnir 2 will have your Eikons shattering your jaw if you want impact and a viceral sound without getting into crazy sound signatures.

FWIW, when I was demoing the 789, I thought the Eikon was the worst pairing out of all my headphones. It seemed to dull the mid-range while sharpening the treble. Basically, exactly what I didn’t want it to do with the Eikon. The bass was clean and had oomph, but it just had no synergy in the rest of the FR.

2 Likes

I chose that graphic. May the Ruinous Powers smite thee!

(Symbol is for the Chaos gods in Warhammer 40K)

2 Likes

It’s in the spirit of the Nordic Helm of Awe rune

Oops! :laughing:

Now I can see that it’s from a game… :face_with_monocle:

Makes sense now. :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

MDR-Z1R were bassy, but I find the Verite has excellent sub bass. It just runs down there flat, you feel it.

Or the Engineer’s rune

1 Like

Thanks for the advice - particularly the warning about the 789. That does not sound nice at all.

2 Likes

The 789 is an accurate microscope that will reveal any flaws in the source or your headphones. Sometimes that’s great, sometimes it’s not.

2 Likes

Sony MDR-7520 and ex800st (iem) have nice sub bass. i listened to miles davis freddie freeloader and dark knight ost - why so serious.

1 Like

TR-X00 is a go to for people who like a decent sub bass emphasis. They’re sadly no longer made. Might want to check out the Denon D series. I’ve never heard them myself so I can’t compare.

3 Likes