Sub- Bass Headphone

E-mu Teak. 20 characters.

2 Likes

I have the Eikon and the Aeon Flow Closed (1st version). When I need sub-bass I go to the Aeon. It’s weaker in the mid-bass, which makes the subs really stand out, and the Aeon’s subs just keep going down. The sub is there in the Eikon but it is softer than the mid-bass so relative to a comfortable listening level it’s not as loud as in the Aeon. (For a good example try “Blu” by Mura Masa and Damon Albarn.) I also wonder whether it rolls off slightly in the Eikon compared to the Aeon, but it’s hard to tell.

And I have a question for anyone who has heard the Aeon 2 Closed: does it have the same strength as the original AFC in the subs, or does the added power in the higher bass frequencies create the Eikony effect of perceptually less striking subs?

1 Like

I’ll throw my 2¢ in here too. Under $200 I really like the DT770 250 ohm if you can power it properly. Also the AQ Nighthawk if you can find it gives a VERY enjoyable sub-bass experience.

I haven’t heard the Eikons or the original Aeon Closed so I can’t speak to them but I do own the Aeon 2C currently and enjoy them weekly if not daily. I would say if you are looking for impact or punch from the bass I’m not sure the Aeon 2C have what you might be looking for in that regard. However they definitely have decent bass and have a a nice reproduction of the lower frequencies especially with lots of more modern produced genres such as pop, electronic, and more. They do require proper current to really get a proper sound from the low end and some break in time. I am a fan of the Aeon2C.

4 Likes

Have you seen Bert’s review of the Eikon?