Taking Audio Gear Pictures - Cameras, Tricks & Techniques

Oh, don’t think I’m jumping on this :wink: my next camera will be a FF…looking at the Nikon Z6 or the Sony A7III…but both of those are a ways off lol…I still need to get better at taking photos…but someone jumping in initially, this is a decent deal for some good tech. I actually really like the Lumix GX85 and agree with your recommendation on it…probably one of the better deals for an intro camera.

1 Like

Unless you’re perpetually shooting in low, natural light, or need more control over depth of field (which is only going to be a 1-stop difference anyway) I’d agree.

While initially (and I mean right at it’s introduction) M43 was a bit limiting for wide-angle, once the native wide lenses started showing up (which are now covered extremely well), it is much easier to get proper, quality, coverage in both prime and zoom lenses for M43 than it is with APS-C.

In the end, the types of recreational photography I do pushed me more towards full-frame for my ILC stuff (a combination of Leica-M and Sony FE) - which means I’m doing “intentional photography”. And for everything else it’s a combination of the latest Sony RX-100 and a Leica V-Lux Typ 114 (which I will swap for an RX-10 when the MkV drops).

2 Likes

I’m still using a 2008 Canon Power Shot stupid camera for digital. And I have some nice even older cameras I picked up on some sale, that feel great using them but in digital terms, they’re primitive. (They were give-aways to people who where working to test a plastic surgery store and forward consultative system when I was in a medical start-up).

Someday I might actually get a newer mid range camera. Also some day I might wind up the half-used roll of Tri-X that’s in my Olympus OM-G and develop what I had on the roll when I put that camera away back in the late paleolithic.

3 Likes

This isn’t my site, obviously, but it’s knifetography’s site. He’s a user on reddit and I’ve always been deeply envious of his photography and his collection: https://den-fi.com/

5 Likes

He has been at the headphone game even shorter than me lol…he does take some dope pictures though!

1 Like

I meant to post this here earlier (I think I have it in the Stellia or “Gear Pics” threads), but I’m sure I can come up with an audio-related “prize” for the first person that can say how this shot was done:

Focal%20Stellia%20-%20Offset%20Radial%20(1024)

As “clues”, I’ll say that the only post-processing done was for levels and curves, it is not a simple wide-aperture/shallow-DOF shot and it’s remotely possible that the filename also contains a clue …

2 Likes

Looks like tilt-shift to me. Nice effect!

3 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly what it is (which is a little tricky with my Sony FE system) …

That was quick … and now I have to come up with a prize (I figured I had a day or so)! :wink:

3 Likes

I’m a fan of the Sherlock TV series, which uses tilt-shift for some of its shots, to good effect IMHO.

2 Likes

Could I use the miniature setting to get a similar effect? I still have soo much to learn about my camera lol

1 Like

If the lens you’re using allows you to get close enough, and you can get enough vertical angle, possibly …

1 Like

And here I thought it was merely the effect of background Dalwhinnie and Balvenie.

1 Like

Both delicious whiskey!!

1 Like

Did you use a Lensbaby?

2 Likes

I did, indeed!

Sweet 50 on a Composer II.

2 Likes

strobe on the object an long exposure with moving camera/ zoom in out

or is it a tilt /free lens approach?

Edit - comment made before scrolling down

happy to meet here in an audio forum some photography enthusiasts!

my wife and I are in photography - she more in available light / Me both … strobes and available light

shot in the mid 90s with analog DSLRs and never stopped analog
since 2008 with the Canon 450D also digital - before digtial was only our 2nd thought and fun to play around with some small budget cameras
later acquired 7D, 5D2, Fuji XT2, 77d, 5D3, and M50 -the last 2 are our workhorses with some glas like Tamron 15-30 2.8, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma Art 35 f1.4, Canon 50 f1.8 STM, Sigma 85 f1.4, Canon 100 f2.8 Makro, Canon 70-200 F4 + a few strobes and stuff to shape light… LEDs

the product photography genre is nice to expand the photography knowhow and eye for composition
we have the time to find the angle, the composition and are able to modify light(with cheap DIY reflectors for example) - this can be achieved with your phones camera and other tools like mirrorless or DSLRs. All have benefits.

with the possibilitys in RAW converting and use of some grey-cards there are nearly no restrictions in using some strange light. But yes “do it right in camera”, consider dynamic range, try not to mix different light sources and keep it simple … is a good start

just my 2 cents and “short” HELLO

2 Likes

OMG. I did analog for so long that it’s hard to stop. But the time and chemicals and now no good place for a darkroom. I still keep a Polaroid Land 100 around for when I can’t resist.

1 Like

My best buddy has a 30qm darkroom with all we need.
You can send in your Material to many labor-services and get it developed
Yes some emulsions are gone but something like silbersalz35.com is quite cool.
Have you seen the “Stranger Things Edition” Polaroid?

Anything traditional that I have is older now. I’ve seen some of the new Polaroid stuff online. It’s been years since I developed film, mostly did black and white or Ektachrome slides for color. Usually 35mm, sometimes larger.

I sold my enlarger years ago.