The Amps: Schiit Jotunheim 2, Burson Playmate 2 and Qudelix 5k Comparison

I would say preference but also given you’re very value focused venture, price-bias is also inherently at play. If you had someone purchase items for you blind and you did not know the prices, I’m unsure if your results would still be the same.

These are all pretty much the same so I would not be surprised if it did not sound great. I would personally take the Clear over the Arya but can also see why people enjoy the Arya.

Considering how the tuning of the headphones you chose (which have almost no treble emphasis), I would say the Arya wouldn’t be in your wheelhouse anyways. Things like the LCD-X, LCD-2, Denon all exist in that price bracket though which would probably be more suited to your preferences and I would consider getting rid of all those “best measuring” budget stacks as they generally aren’t musically enjoyable.

9 Likes

I am fairly familiar with the psychology of such biases. In the case of the arya, I am pretty sure it would fail pretty hard. It was the sound stage that drove me mad. Would its other attributes outweigh that if I didn’t know the price? We may never know. But I doubt it. The he6se I was comparing against was just so much more pleasing.

I have heard the lcd-x and lcd-xc, with the xc being among my favorite headphones and the x being among the worst (pre-2021). Why? Cause I don’t EQ, and I couldn’t wear the lcd-x for more than 20 minutes without feeling like my brain was broken. And, the hp-2 still beats the XC. I have also tried a few others. The big gaps in terms of well knowns are focal and zmf.

I still want to try higher level dynamic drivers like the clear. I simply haven’t justified it yet (partly because they are open back). The day I bought the hp-2 I was considering pulling the trigger on the VC. Denon closed back line is on the list as well.

The other issue, is closed back really helps me. And there are not that many high end competent closed backs.

I read this, and was in awe of the how you are still stuck with making side grades across the board. Either you are self-validating, which is completely fine, or…I don’t have a another theory.

A few suggestions

1. You are spinning your wheels in mid-fi, you are playing the game of chicken or the egg with the headphone/IEM/AMP/DAC.
  2. You have self admitted that your LSA HP-2 does not sound much different across the equipment you have on hand. This tells a story that the headphone has probably reached its limit. I have a pair of B&W P7 headphones from about 7 years ago, thought they were all I would ever need. I try them and every piece of new equipment I get, and guess what they don’t sound different. Why, because the headphone does not scale.
  3. Your strategy of only purchasing from vendors who have allow for returns, I will give you credit for finally buying from Schiit, something many of us suggested several months ago. If you are truly on a mission to find the best value for the price, then you must expand outside of your self contained boundaries.
  4. Your comparison here of these two amps to the Qudelix is honestly a joke. Then throwing in that your IEMs are better than the full size headphones confirms the ridiculous nature of this anchor comparative. IEMs do not need much to sound good, not much air to move in those little things.
  5. You are not thinking about synergy of equipment, a good example is what @taronlissimore pointed out with the Arya. That is your lone higher end headphone, that you tried, and matched it with an unappealing stack.

This is an ignorant statement, you don’t know what the Stellia or VC sound like and maybe you don’t have the gear that brings out its best at the moment. I personally did not, it took me nearly a year after to get the amp and DAC for my sonic preferences. Guess what, my Verite sounded F’ckg great out of my 15 year old headphone amp, or a $350 OTL, and was not bad out of the Chord Mojo.

Exploring the hobby is great, there is a point where the exploration hits a wall, and this wall is defined by barriers and ignorance.

12 Likes

It wasn’t in reference to them. It was in reference to the arya, lcd-x and lcd-xc. All of which I have owned. All of which I feel are not as good as the hp-2 for my preferences.

Would you consider the Ananda in the same boat? Because I ordered specifically to test that theory. And I don’t hear anything more there than I do on the hp-2. Is the Ananda not good enough by your standards? What is? One of the headphones I didn’t like?

Try the Zen. Then we can have that conversation. And no, it’s not just about air moving. The bass on the Zen is ridiculously good both sonically and viscerally. And, yes, to me, it beats some of these full size headphones.

Yes, and so far, that has not been better. Will see if the bifrost changes that.

So, 1) xduoo ta-30 and micro signature which I liked with the arya, is not meaningful to you?
2) And lcd-x and xc are not high end enough for you? What’s your line? What headphones should I try?

Lastly, get your attitude off my thread. If you can’t do that, just scroll on by.

1 Like

This is not your thread, it is the Forum’s thread. You want to drop verbal diarrhea and ignorance for all to read, then you need to have thick skin and accept straightforward responses such as mine. I was being polite, if you mistook it as attitude then that is on you.

I provided you suggestions to attempt to find a better experience, your choice to stay in this defined bracket of limitations, rather than consider the world of possibilities.

I do believe those headphones and amps are not worth a fart in the night, if that is your limit then state that and be done. Not all of us have the same preferences, or motivations to find that happy place to sit back and enjoy the music. If your nirvana is the dunu zen and Quedlix, consider yourself lucky.
Or,
Take some risks, re-evaluate how you research items, and lastly expand your means of purchasing gear to try.

Buying stuff to constantly return it is uncouth.

9 Likes

Big talk. I noticed with all your greater wisdom, you have yet to tell me what I should buy. Every one of my questions was about that in the response.

You do not belong here. Exit gracefully.

You do not belong here. Exit gracefully. Now.

1 Like

:rofl: I was being polite.

Again, this is a public forum. If you do not want others chiming in, then it is you with the attitude that needs to be changed. If you don’t care for the some real talk, then what is the point of writing mini-essays on nearly every post. All you have to do is say “Dunu Zen + Quedlix is end game”

I have provide you suggestions numerous times through various threads. Each and every time you had a limitation that was not acceptable for one reason or another.

My wisdom indicates that whatever I suggest is not going to be worth your time, so I will keep it simple;

1. Get some Airpod Max and call it a day.
  2. HD6xx + OTL + Modi

Or stay with your current configuration, that is your call.

3 Likes

not a bad setup… not bad at all. even though I’m not a huge fan of the 6xx or the modi; together with a good OTL, pretty enjoyable setup.

1 Like

replace the 6xx with a Emu Teak and the modi with a Zen Dac and I’m in “budget” heaven.

1 Like

This forum isn’t supposed to be head-fi. You disagree with my assessment? Awesome, love to discuss that.

I assume you have heard and/or own the qudelix, dunu zen, lsa hp-2 ultra, ananda, jot 2 with 4490 card, burson playmate 2 and you are very well aware of any synergies between said devices.

Therefore, you should be able to explain what I am hearing, or not hearing, and pick something out that would show me better sound than these do. And frankly, with all this experience you seem to be claiming to have, you should be able to extrapolate to some degree what my preferences are. Particularly based on the large amount of verbal diarrhea I have provided on this forum. Go read up. Lots out there. You really should be able to explain to me why I seem to like the hp-2 more than others. I still don’t know. Same with the Zen. I am learning more reasons with everything I try. But I still don’t have the information to better the hp-2 or it’s sources.

I can completely accept that I am bouncing around mid-fi to no avail. But you have quite snotily indicated that my assessments are wrong. And, when I pose specific questions about what headphones I should have to hear these differences, you ignore it.

Now, if what all this snottiness is saying is “there is no difference between these, you are wasting your time”, then we may be on the same page.

So what is it? Hmmm?

What you sound like is someone that simply wants to feel superior in your knowledge. And again, that is not what this forum is for (whether that knowledge is superior or not). Go to head-fi if that is what you want.

Contribute constructively, or leave. That’s what the goal is around here.

so, put together a reasonably priced system that will blow my mind. I will take it seriously. You say you gave advice? Not in this thread. You want me to expand my experiences? Me too. Are there limits to what I can change? Yes, yes there are. If you can’t do better within those limits, the only thing you are showing, again, is your desire to shout superiority. That, to me, is much worse verbal diarrhea than anything I am doing. The difference being that I fully admit I don’t know what’s going on and don’t understand my own observations.

So, again, choose to share your wisdom, or choose to let me live in ignorance of you.

Thanks.

1 Like

Most of us tend to walk away rather than stir up arguments. I’ll say this once and my next step will be to use the “ignore” feature, if needed. Both @taronlissimore and @Roark made excellent points above. After a long period of patience all around, @Roark is now saying what I also had in mind.

I see two major issues with your posts:

1. Many of your comparisons are completely and utterly pointless, as they waste your time and the time of anyone seeking buying guidance. There’s often no apparent strategy with your choices, you mix excellent items with obvious bottlenecks, and you rapidly jump to conclusions. This appears to follow from your unrealistic budget and cost-saving return strategy. Sometimes one must hang on to a test item for years to evaluate it across various items (e.g., I’ve kept my THX 789 as an analytical benchmark. It’s good for a narrow range of products but bad for most. Why? Well, answering that requires a lot of testing over a long time.)

2. The world is not here for YOU. The world is a complex transactional space. Sometimes there are predatory winners and eaten prey, and sometimes there are collaborative and shared efforts. Rapid buys-and-returns may save you money, but is predatory to product builders and vendors. If enough people do this they will go hungry, their retirement plans will suffer, and their businesses will fail. Prices rise for everyone else. We all pay for the predators. Similarly, no one cares to hear every little thought and every little unresolved preference debate. People who would otherwise gladly help instead tune you out and actively or passively ignore you.

I suggest that you listen to people more, listen to products for longer periods, and conduct back-to-back comparisons between peers before getting rid of them. I suggest you buy used or on sale, and also set aside a larger hobby budget to facilitate realistic tests and realistic turnover costs. Call me snotty if you like, but @Roark nailed it.

11 Likes

I just had to point this out - so true! Very good write-up and (self-) analysis. I like the effort you put into writing about nothing, well more about a journey, isn’t it?! :smiley: Thanks.

5 Likes

That’s a bit harsh. In my case, it is a self-determined budget. But I try not to side grade within budget.

1 Like

So I might’ve missed it but what DAC are you using? The BF2?

I have a few theories as to why you’re not hearing much of a difference.

1. The headphones you use are easy to drive or have reached close to their performance limit compared to the ones you had compared to before. You had mentioned that you’ve tried the X, XC, and Arya. It is possible that when driving those, they either didn’t fit your preferences or they weren’t driven to their limit compared to the HP-2 is performing closer which closes the gap between them.

2. Your DAC is limiting everything that you’re putting after it. No amount of magic or wizardry will fix what is fed in the front. However, just cause you have a $10k DAC, if your headphones cannot translate those details, you’re still stuck with not having a big difference. There’s definitely balance and synergy in systems that some people ignore.

3. All your gear is in the same range and therefore are just small differences in preferences. Why does one person buy a Toyota Camry over a Honda Accord? Preference. Is one vastly better than the other when they are similarly priced? Not really. You’re not going to get a real upgrade until you move into a luxury model like Lexus or Acura. One thing I’ve learned from my audiophile journey is that there are no giant killers.

4. Solid state isn’t your jam if you’re looking for huge differences. Look at tube amps if you want bigger swings in flavor if you want to stick to a under $1k budget for amplification. For solid state amplification, you have the under $1k amps like you have been trying and the over $2k amps. There’s kind of a half step in between them when it comes to quality and improvement but $1k-$2k is kind of no man’s land. Anything under $1k is going to be compromised and you don’t start getting well designed products with good components until you start looking at the higher end SS amps. Having said that, SS amps will generally all have the same qualities. Like you said, the burson is just a subtle difference but enough for you to say that you enjoy that more. That’s how I view source gear as well. Headphones may make the largest changes in frequency response but source gear can make the biggest change in enjoyment factor once you’ve found your preference.

Suggestions - Keep trying out different gear. Don’t just stick to one headphone because there are tons out there. Buy used and sell used. Don’t abuse vendor’s or dealer’s return policies. Keep asking questions. There’s a reason more experienced people spend more on the front end then their headphones. Just look at all the $5k dacs + $3k tube amps powering their $2k ZMF/RAD-0/Utopia, etc etc.

12 Likes

Nicely put. In some ways, I limit myself, as does @Dynamic, but using your car analogy, I go for a classic, a sports model, a wagon, and something jeep-like. Also, I will consider higher priced gear, if and when I can justify it in balance with other things in my life.

Definitely agree about that bump between $1K and $2K. Probably can be filled by an engineer with a soldering iron. Also smart about tubes. If I were going to offer a suggestion to @Dynamic, it would be to build a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball or something in that range.

6 Likes

Thank you for the more respectful reply. I am going to comment on some of it that I believe is inaccurate.

I am also going to attempt to respectfully show the extreme bias you and @roark are displaying here. And why, what you are showing is terrible for the audio world.

This is your opinion. Not a statement of fact. You would not say that if you agreed with my assessment. You only say it because you disagree. Can you honestly say you would feel the same if you agreed?

Not to you. They are quite obvious to me. Again, if you would like more context ask. Or read previous posts all over the forum. Most of it is on here. Or don’t. That’s all you.

I am going to assume one of these that you reference is the jot + 4490. And, yes, I did that. In no way did I expect it to reduce the jot to a $109 dongle. And, this is still assuming that is the problem. And not a myriad of other things that it could be in a complex system. I don’t know how many times I can show through words and actions that that could be the case.

Based, on the evidence, which again, using the jot with 4490 card, no one seems to be disagreeing with it. And, instead of living with that, I went and ordered both the bifrost and the ananda to swap out two possible variables. Is this also the wrong approach according to you? What are you expecting in your ideal world?

This very well could be true. And, in this conversation, may be the most useful thing you have said. Here’s the problem from a new person’s perspective: You and I are sitting on an incredible mountain of privilege. The fact that you can sit here and effectively say “$500 on the amp isn’t enough to beat a dongle” screams an insane amount of privilege. We are discussing items that are well out of the financial reach of many people. And then you are basically turning around and shaming someone for daring to spend that little while reporting experiences you clearly think are worthless.

Think about that. Think about that hard next time you provide that kind of feedback.

Those items aren’t for me. Consider that a hard requirement of my audiophile journey. I understand where you are coming from, I have no interest in going there. Will I one day? Maybe. Not today.

In the same way, the world is not here to serve your sense of being a proper audiophile. I am not telling you how to do it. Please don’t presume you have some kind of right to tell me.

I don’t disagree. Problem: I live in a state that does not have an audiophile level store anywhere as far as I can tell. And I live there in a time where travel isn’t exactly easy. I don’t have a solution to that. If that weren’t the case I likely would have been to at least one canjam by now. So, again, your privilege is showing. I am glad you have such wonderful options, and the disposable income to not care about the losses. Some of us, don’t. Or we choose not to put our resources there. Take your pick.

If this were an actual preference debate, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Right, now, from the outside, it looks like a couple of people with greater experience shoving their privilege in someone else’s face. Again, not the way to approach it.

Could be true. But again, the way those people respond don’t seem to be taking the time to understand my context. And just go off about their audiophile ideals and how I am doing it wrong. That’s how some of you come off. I am sitting here saying “I don’t know what’s going on, and I am not willing to spend the level of money you want me to spend”. Again, you want to show me similarly priced stuff that is better because of synergies, I am all ears. I will have a bifrost to combine with the jot. Between that and the Ananda and hp-2 would you expect better results than I am hearing now?

Do you not realize that I had the arya, he6se, sundara, lcd-x, quad era-1 and many of the afore mentioned amps/stacks all at the same time for several weeks to months of overlap for almost all of them? Many of them during amazon’s 3 month christmas return window? The sundara in particular I had for that entire time. You can hate the return process all you want. I didn’t have any other option that was feasible.

This isn’t auditory memory for almost anything that I have said. This is what I experienced at the time doing the same sorts of a/b comparisons I am doing now. I returned the arya and lcd-x because the he6se sounded better to me (along with anything else I have mentioned from that time period). And then I turned around and spent $2500 in amping to find out if it got better. Then it died. So, exactly, what did I do wrong here? How much more were you expecting out of a first time audiophile? Hmmm? How much privilege and money do you need to “do it right” by your standards? Do you see what I am getting at?

If you want to help do it right within my means and criteria, I am all ears. If you don’t want to bother understanding my criteria fully enough to do that, I don’t expect you to. Absolutely do not waste your time on me. I have never claimed to be an easy person to please. Quite the opposite. Regularly.

Honestly, privileged is the better term. It just comes off as snotty.

Again, I have tried to be respectful to everyone while stating what I hear. I am open to changes and that I approached it “wrong” as evidenced by every adaptation I have made. When I find a weak point I am able to address, I do. I am sorry it is not the way you would do it. But it is what it is.

And, again, you are free to have your opinions, and I am free to have mine. I don’t expect you to read, like, agree or do anything else regarding my content. You are, as is anyone else, free to ignore it. If that’s what you need to do, by all means do so. And, I will go a step further and say I will actively respect that. And specifically avoid asking you any questions on this forum.

Now, put yourself in the new audiophile shoe’s reading all of this. What does it look like? And then ask yourself if that is good for encouraging new audiophiles?

I share these things because I know people less vocal than me are going through them. People who are less persistent and annoying than I am. People who would feel absolutely gloriously lucky if they could hear what I have heard for themselves. People who would give up after experiencing what I have experienced. That person is clearly not you.

Now, if you think I am misleading those people, I will be the first to tell them “try it for yourself” is the best policy. And I am also open to changing parameters with in the context that works for me. And yes, it’s possible you don’t have answers that will fit those parameters. That is ok. I come from a software engineering background focusing in agile development. I am approaching this the same way. That may not be the right way for anyone else to do it, but it is the right way for me to do it.

Respectfully, please read this with as much objectiveness as you can. This isn’t about being combative. It’s about both of us learning something from the experience.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy!

1 Like

BF2 is not here yet. I ordered it because the 4490 in the jot is considered an obvious weak point against the dongle. That’s for this playmate/jot comparison. Previously I had 4 or 5 dac/amp combos for the one last year with something like 5 headphones.

More likely this one. I drove the arya on ta-30, micro signature, sp200… I think it even got a short time on the a90. I don’t like the arya’s soundstage. It feels incoherent and wrong to me.

All 3 of those shared a micro signature. The X and the Arya saw the same amps. The xc only saw the micro signature and the qudelix. And, yes I thought it was better on the signature when not listening purely casually. The X sounds suffocating to me. I just couldn’t keep it on my head for very long. I don’t eq. The XC was wonderful. Top 4 headphones for that one.

I agree. BF2 is coming. However, I was focusing on finding a headphone first. I also don’t seem terribly interested in gobs of detail so the dac has never been a priority. The methodology of presentation seems to be far more important to me.

I wouldn’t consider a dx3 pro a90/d90 stack and ta-30 being in quite the same range. But, I agree, I may be stuck in similar sounding world. And part of that is my unwillingness to try tubes (beyond the ta-30) as of yet. But, my current context are headphones that, to my understanding, would not do well with tubes.

I am coming to this conclusion as well.

The problem as stated above, is my favorite headphones are low impedance. And, yes, that might be partly because they drive so incredibly well on inexpensive solid state amps. I don’t dispute that. But when I had all those headphones together, I did have the upper end models (a90/d90 being the most upper end from a pricing perspective)

Again, context: I have had arya, lcd-x, quad-era1, lcd-xc, he6se and a number of others all a/b together at the same time in my house. I came to the hp-2 as a chain of events always keeping the headphone I liked more when I started overears again.

I understand, however, in my case, I don’t think that pricing will work for me. At least not for a while.

As stated, I would love to hear an OTC (or any tube amp) that would be ok with the hp-2. I haven’t gone down that rabbit hole yet. I haven’t, in part, because I haven’t found one that is called out explicitly for working with low impedance headphones.

Again, not an option in times of covid. And even if it weren’t covid, hearing most of this in person instead of buy/return would be very difficult. I can’t just go on 3-9 hour drives just to hear headphones with two young kids at home. Covid and family permitting, I will go to canjam.

This discussion is getting unnecessarily tense and personal. Multiple posts and posters have been flagged, multiple times. Quit the animosity or leave the thread. If it continues on this path the thread will be locked and the offending posters will require their future posts approved.

There will be no further warning.

There will not be individual follow-up.

You’ll just find the thread locked and your posts requiring approval in future.

If you’re not sure if this applies to your posts here, then a) you’ve probably made one or more here that you think are suspect and b) should assume it does.

17 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to quote and break out everything. I don’t have the patience so I’m just going to respond to a few.

This honestly gives me no useful information besides that fact that you’ve heard them and deemed hp-2 to be your preference. I have no idea what they were tested with, if they were in your house, if they were powered by the same gear, etc etc. I’ve heard all of those headphones except the xc and quad and I think they all benefit from a good source and good amplification. But there’s no point in beating a dead horse so we should probably just move forward with the HP-2 as your main headphone.

You mentioned that methodology of presentation is important to you. One thing I discovered this year is that all 4 of the DACs that have gone through my house have presented music differently to me. Same with amplification. The luxman p-750u showed me how large of a soundstage a SS amp can provide a closed back headphone like the CD900st. The FA-10 showed me how energetic and raw an amp can be. The Wavedream showed me how tight and present bass can be with headphones that I thought weren’t very bassy. My point is that the whole system is important, not just the headphones. To use a car analogy again, you don’t have a great car just cause you have a good engine. You need a comparable chasis, the right tires, the right suspension, etc etc. Of course you have cars like the Subaru WRX STi that just has all of it’s R&D in the engine but you compromise on interior and refinement. Similarly you can spend just a ton of money on one pair of headphone but then you give up on other parts.

Lastly, if you believe all a DAC does is providing you gobs of detail, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise.

This is not a good excuse at all. During covid, I have been working from home until this past May and now that I have a newborn, I have not gone to any canjams or meetups or audio stores where I have tested or listened to any gear. Let me list the gear that I’ve bought/sold used this past year in my home.

Ananda, Utopia, Aeolus, Verite, Feliks Euforia, Denafrips Ares II, Flux FA-10, Yggdrasil A1, Yggdrasil GS, Yggdrasil A2, HE-6se, LCD-X, Holo Spring 1, Luxman p-750u, Diana Phi, Sony CD900st, Pass Int-25, Sony WM1A, Denafrips Hermes, HD600 black silk, ifi Zen Can, Susvara, Benchmark AHB2.

All of those were purchased from either a dealer or used and sold all in the aftermarket. None of them were returned to the dealer just so I can audition them. I’m not the only person that does this.

8 Likes

Read @Torq post listening to this (especially the “take it easy” part and the refrain):

5 Likes