The Anime Thread

Manga is the original source…what it means? Take everything that is cute and wholesome about that series and throw it in the dumpster and light it on :fire:! Now I’m exaggerating a bit here but based on the 3/4 chapters out it ain’t cute. It’s basically the origin story of Tsukasa.

If it was for style, then I think they missed the mark. Take Beastars for example (if you’ve watched)…it’s probably the best example I’ve watched of CG done in a way that doesn’t get in the way; it felt more natural.

And my counter to that is Chihayafuru…most people have never heard of this one. It’s based on the sport of karuta, a card game. Never have I been so engaged and on the edge of my seat over a card game!

Season 4 on the way! Excited for this one.

I’m literally angry with rage! Just kidding. Why do that? Hmmm.

Yeah, animation was very solid. Story didn’t grab me. Still have a few episodes to go.

It is good. I’ve seen the first season. It does have an intensity to it you wouldn’t expect. I should get back to it.

The author wanted a good stopping point so she ended the original one with all the wholesome stuff and started fresh. I think it works quite well and I applaud her for separating the two; the new series is called Fly Me to the Moon (go figure). You can probably guess where it’s going with that…

Yup! Manga was finished too and I easily forgot about it after. lol

1 Like

Ok. So I guess if it’s purely an origin story then it can be done without muddying the anime. I was hoping for more backstory on Tsukasa in the anime but it’s good enough to go without it.

I need to start reading more manga.

1 Like

Just watched the S4 trailer. Im hyped! This might be the best one if it lives up to that brief intro. I should binge the previous seasons to refresh. When it first came out I thought it was going to be crap, nope, big wrong on that one.

1 Like

It really is great, and I really appreciate the dubbing too; it’s top-notch! Makes me want to try out the Yasuke one…it’s only 6 eps so it shouldn’t be a hard watch. Also, the pacific rim one…that caught my interest.

Oh, and this week’s ep of Higehiro was pretty :ok_hand:; dives deeper into the issues and character development is starting to kick in.

Tried it a bit… it’s ok. Was hoping for more but I think it’s limited by its short episode run. Missing out on some development. Not sure I’ll finish, about halfway, but it’s not much time commitment to see if there is an ultimate pay off. Had to turn off the dub (standard Netflix presentation) as the sync was poor and it drove me nuts.

Watched the first episode. Will come back to it. Good visuals.

Watching that and Oddtaxi tonight.

Tokyo Revengers might be worth you taking a look. Surprisingly effective narrative that so far hasn’t gotten bogged down by its central premise of some guy going back in time to fix stuff. It’s better than that description suggests.

Started Iruma-kun and I like it. Animation has a nice fresh look with bright colours and sharp lines and I’m curious what is going to happen. Clara does annoy at this point but not enough to ruin anything.

Oh definitely, but usually with well-known series like these I prefer reading the manga first. Same with To Your Eternity…haven’t watched but started reading and it’s probably a good candidate for best this season.

There’s an even more annoying dude 2nd season but they adapted him so well from the manga that I’m not even mad.

I’ve held off an that one. Going to let it build up. Lots of high expectations for it.

1 Like

IMO Pacific Rim anime is an order of magnitude better than the two movie releases.

2 Likes

Made it through the first movie, the second one I think I might have had it on as background noise at one time. So yes, I would have to agree.

Only watched the first one which was quite enjoyable…you’re probably right on that tho!

Yes! Just found out that Komi Can’t Communicate manga will be getting an anime adaptation! So pumped for this…

1 Like

I came across the manga online and read a bit of it, it was intriguing.

Castelvania drops tomorrow!

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for reminding…I knew there was something exciting coming out this week but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

1 Like

Well this last season started out a teeny bit slow, but hot damn ep 9 was epic :fire:! Those fighting scenes were top-notch. It honestly reminded me of Demon Slayer ep 19…it was that good (at least I thought it was).

Sad to see it has ended but man I enjoyed it…deserves a rewatch down-the-line. Do yourself a favor and watch it if you haven’t already…

Also, pretty much caught up with 86 although an ep behind…started out slow then ep 5 is when it started to pick up. Although a little bit disappointing at first, I’m starting to look forward to this one more. I think what made it a bit disappointing at the beginning were the fighting mechanics and the overall mood/ambiance of the show. Anime like Attack on Titan and Aldnoah.Zero had these two things right at the get-go, but I’m glad 86 is starting to pick up…heard great things about the OG source LN.

Now to catch up with Vivy…

1 Like

I’m half way through Castlevania. I actually enjoyed the initial slow burn, development of the story. I forgot how many characters were part of the show now. A spin-off might be in the works. I agree that a rewatch will be in order at some point.

I’ve been busy with other things so my anime watching has taken a hit - just means more to watch later, which is good. I also binged Iruma so that took up watch time.

86 and Vivy have only seen 1st episodes and haven’t come back to them yet.

1 Like

So I finished the season and I have to agree that e9 was top drawer. I should look up the anime house that did it as Im not sure and I cant see Netflix having their own in-house animation studio, but could be wrong.

I still give Demons Slayer e19 an edge in terms of overall impact - it had the soundtrack, the visuals, the story all come together just bang on for one great episode. I do agree that that Castevania episode gives it a good run for the money. I will have to rewatch it.

Overall, the season was very good IMO and the series overall was one of the better ones Ive watched in some time. Definitely the best “Netflix” anime that I recall watching.

Ive fallen behind on the anime so there’s a lot for me to watch, not a bad thing.

1 Like

Well Castlevania is technically not an anime since it doesn’t incorporate Japanese styles. Studio is Frederator Studios based in Cali.

Yeah I can agree on that…but the moment ep 9 started on Castlevania I was caught so off guard. I didn’t think it’d be that good truthfully.

Yeah, catching up this weekend…oh, and the next new eps of Iruma is gonna be great! It’s my favorite arc in the manga so I’m much looking forward to it.

1 Like

Based on recent posts, I’ll try to look into “Demon Slayer”. I’m also curious on another hyped one: “Jujutsu Kaisen”.

Apart from these two, is there any other “adultish” one I should look at? By adultish, I mean in the same ballpark as “Attack on Titan” or “Castlevania”, for instance.

Thanks!

2 Likes