The Anime Thread

Oh Jujutsu Kaisen is good…worth the watch!

Not sure what you’ve watched already but let me list some…

2 - Vinland Saga (Amazon Prime)
7 - Promised Neverland (Netflix…only watch the 1st season)
9 - Aldnoah.Zero (Netflix…I think but def on Crunchyroll)
4 - Fate/Zero (Netflix)…no need to get into the Fate universe but if you like this and want to continue lmk and I’ll give you a general guide to the order. *1st ep might be boring but keep going
6 - Parasyte (Netflix)
10 - Megalobox (Funimation/Hulu…1st season on Netflix)
1 - Devilman Crybaby (Netflix…definitely for adults)
5 - Dororo (Amazon Prime)
3 - Hunter x Hunter (Netflix…not all but definitely all on Crunchyroll)
8 - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (Netflix)
0 - Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress…AoT clone with poor execution (Amazon Prime…Netflix has movie which wasn’t so bad)

I’ll rate these for you in the order of how close they relate to AoT/Castlevania

I’m probably missing a lot but that’s a good start I think.

2 Likes

Woow. Dude, you’re an encyclopedia. :smiley:

Back on surgery recovery days – 10+ years ago – I remember choosing which one I should watch. Choices were between Naruto, Bleach or One Piece. The latter is still streaming today. Almost 1k episodes to date. WTF… It would take me roughly 2 years watching ~10 episodes weekly. Not happening. :rofl:

That’s a heck of a start. I alternate streaming services every month so I’ll plan the pieces accordingly. E.g.: last month I had hulu, so AoT and Boruto were caught up. Today, there’s HBO here and am already watching Jujutsu Kaisen. Need to watch more episodes to get better sense of it.

Last month watched the 2 seasons of One Punch Man. It started very childish and silly but all the dilemmas, egocentrism and narcissism exposed by the characters made this anime an easy piece to watch.

Thanks.

1 Like

If someone had asked me what my #1 manga would have been, I probably would have said Attack on Titan IF they had nailed the ending…but what would have surpassed that would undoubtedly be Berserk…

The reason I wouldn’t put it as #1 is because of the lack of chapters (probably like 4 chapters a year). Now, it’s sad to say that this manga will never be put to rest…

Kentaro Miura, legendary creator of Berserk, died on May 6 due to acute aortic dissection.

3 Likes

The anime thread!!! Haha, hell yea! I’m in!

Started watching jujutsu kaisen and it’s so far pretty good.

Kabaneri and the iron fortress is a fun one.

Super sad the berserk creator passed away. Just found that out looking up anime and saw that it was mentioned already in this thread.
Berserk is my favorite manga and the anime of it was on point too. The movies more and tv episodes less.

2 Likes

I heard bad things about the anime so I ignored it as not to ruin the great piece that is the manga…

1 Like

Yea, the tv shows not the greatest but the three part movie is not bad but yea. Not crucial to see and doesn’t go anywhere near the manga in enjoyment for me personally.
Kind of bummed the manga is not going to finish. Hoping maybe they take his notes and do some type of end to the story. He did have an outline and end to the story.

1 Like

Once I made a mistake (or not) by clicking on a YT video about AoT. Then watched this today: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thats one that I initially was mixed on but went back and started over as a binge watch and it sucked me in. I got really in to it at the end. The second half opening title sequence was one of the few I would never skip past.

A friend of mine started watching it a few months ago and is in the 600s now. He skips the recaps and any filler episodes so he is blitzing his way through. I havent attempted that series yet myself.

Ive tried watching this but it hasnt struck as interesting. A few reviews has brought it up as being good so maybe I just have to give it a chance.

I ended up disliking this in the end and I was really enjoying its first few episodes. IIRC something about the main characters started to grate on me.

I forgot about this one, watched 3 episodes and got away from it. Watched like 6 episodes last night.

3 Likes

How far did you watch into it? I remember it being slow at first, then it got really good 2nd season. It’s all blurry though, I watched it a long time ago. I actually might rewatch it since I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

The end wasn’t my favorite either but I still enjoyed it. The atmosphere was so unique at the time…I don’t think there was anything similar when it came out (whenever that was).

The one show I dropped that many people have said was good was Soul Eater. I couldn’t get into it…I think I hated one of the character(s).

I actually thought this one had one of the best intro episodes (first 3). I got hooked instantly…but this show has its problems as it went on, mainly with Thorfinn, the pacing, and the animation. I won’t say anymore as not to spoil it.

On a similar note, the soundtrack was pretty epic and the manga is quite good. Just curious, how’s the manga source hunting?

Very preliminary, like a few episodes, so really not enough to judge it but it may have been at at time when I was trying a lot of different anime so if it didnt grab me right away I moved on.

I can see this as I am experiencing some similar issues I believe, will keep it up for a while yet. Dont know how many episodes are in the first season.

I actually had to pause it as there was so much I wanted to read that it would have eaten up a considerable amount of my time, and/or a considerable amount of my wallet. Im the type who would get really focused on a manga and not stop reading it until I had reached the end of it or read its most recent release. AoT has been hard to try and space out and not completely binge.

There’s at least 4-5 series I really want to read, some of them very long, so Im not sure what Im going to do yet. I’ll work my way through AoT and then go from there, Berserk has now become more of a priority for me now too given the authors unfortunate passing.

Havent tried it. I know its on Netflix but havent given it a go.

Speaking of Netflix - The Way of the Househusband is something I found really enjoyable. Id recommend it as a nice easy watch.

1 Like

Should be 24…if anything I suggest reading the manga instead.

I’m the same! Especially with manhuas…I think it’s because it’s oriented to be read vertically making it hard to stop.

Just be prepared that there’s pretty much no ending, at least for now.

Yeah, I hear great praise for the manga but not so much for the anime…

The anime is a bunch of vignettes, slice of life within the context of the characters background, Nothing mind blowing, Just a simple watch that is easily forgotten. basically a nice time waster.

I regret just getting in to anime a couple of years ago. So much content to catch up on with the old classics and really good new series.

1 Like

The trailer for this looks really cool. We were thinking about starting it soon.

2 Likes

Just finished this one today. Digged a lot. Look forward for S2.

3 Likes

Started watching Tower of God (2020). First episode was quite intense. It reminded me of Gantz (2004), one of my all time favorites.

I shall proceed to the rest of the season. :star_struck:

1 Like

It got some mixed reviews but I enjoyed that one myself.

1 Like

Heard poor things about the adaptation as well…

I stopped reading it but I’ll pick it back up soon.

Show aside, the music composer is one of my favs–Kevin Penkin!

1 Like

Watched 3 so far. Soundtrack is actually pretty cool to hear with headphones. Used the HD58X here.

More tomorrow.

1 Like

If you’re interested in his music check out his works from Made in Abyss. He’s known for that mostly; I’d highly recommend it!

1 Like

Just finished S1. I was impressed. Season finale was killer to me.

Looking forward for S2.

2 Likes