The General Advice/Questions Thread

Thank you !
Ok, I got it. So, the only way to measure the output form the HP is to use a measuring device placed next to the earpads where your ears would be positioned.
Any suggestions for a ‘cheap’ measuring device? Is this an SPL measuring device?
Thx so much,

I used my phone mic to interpret the display of the Loxjie P20 (see thread linked below). It was a super rough/no cost method, but the display correlated strongly with the official rated sensitivity.

1 Like

My to be installed Home Cinema and music system is based around a soundbar, the Sony HT ST5000. I propose to connect my 4K blu ray player and Sky Q box to it via HDMI inputs and the dedicated CD player into its analog input. The HDMI-out from the siundbar goes to the LG OLED C9 65-inch TV.

I have bought Sennheiser RS195 headphone, which, as all of you know, is a non-bluetooth wireless job working via a Radio Frequency Transmitter, and has both RCA and Optical input ‘jacks’.

With this arrangement, the Optical Outputs on the BD Player, Sky Q box, CD Player and the TV itself will be unoccupied.

If I connect optical cables to all 4 of those optical outputs and plug the other ends into the ‘in’ sockets of a quality 4-in-1 Optical Switch like Lindy or CYP AU-41, can I use the single Optical out socket of the switch to plug in the optical cable of the Sennheiser headphone transmitter whenever I need to use the headphones? I will also manually mute the soundbar (but may also have to temporarily disable eARC to avoid that connection overriding the optical ones)

There’s no special reasons why not, but with three caveats:

• Your source devices must not disable their TOSLINK outputs when also connected via HDMI; most don’t, but some odd-duck stuff does.

• You may not get reliable bit-rates above 24/96, despite the switches being rated for 24/192. Quality optical cables will help (think Lifatec, not the exotic and stupidly-expensive “audiophile” ones - none of which get anywhere near the spec or performance of the Lifatec glass cables).

• You may experience lip-sync issues listening on headphones to video sources (Sky Q Box and the BD player) that force you to choose output from the TV’s optical port rather than directly from those boxes.

4 Likes

Thank you. I will follow your advice and try to get Lifatec cables.

With regard to lip-sync issues, I was under the impression that this was a bluetooth headphones problem and not RF ones?

Also, I don’t think either the BD player or Sky Q box will disable the Toslink output because if the existing HDMI connection. But paradoxically, the TV might do that due to override by eARC.

The lip-sync issue is nothing to do with the headphones.

There is a small delay with almost ALL LCD/LED/OLED TVs as they process the incoming video signal and display it. When you use the optical output from the TV, that will be in sync with the TV frame (i.e. it’ll be delayed by the same amount as the picture frame). If you use the optical output from the actual sources, then it won’t.

These delays can be one to many frames, which is one reason why modern TV’s have a “Game Mode” as well - as such delays can not only be sufficient to cause lip-sync issues but they can be big enough to cause input-lag issues as well.

3 Likes

Another thing occurred to me. Connecting to the soundbar will disable the TV’s own speakers. Therefore, if I connect the TV to the aforementioned Optical Switch and merely mute the soundbar, will the audio come though on the headphones?

Depends on how your TV handles its optical output.

It’s possible it disables it when the speakers are muted (though there’s usually a setting that lets you toggle that behavior, my TV lets me leave the optical output enabled while muting the built-in speakers).

It’s also possible that the TV turns its optical output off when sending HDMI audio.

Only way to know for sure is to look at the configuration options on the TV/it’s manual and/or try it.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried the DarkVoice Tube OTL pairing with the 6XX/650? At the current price point it looks interesting!

Yes … and I’d refer you to this post.

2 Likes

See the measurement data at the site below. Off the charts levels of distortion, and better with high impedance headphones such as the HD-600/650:

1 Like

Thanks @generic I will check it out, even if that is one of my least favorite websites to browse. I do appreciate the measurements Amir provides.

2 Likes

Thanks @Torq !

2 Likes

Yes, that’s my view too. It’s not good for browsing (and the comments are sometimes way harsher than here), but a source for data.

3 Likes

EDIT moved post to a more appropriate thread

4 Likes

Great idea. I’m looking for a high-end app 20’-25’ extension cable to connect my Focal Utopias to my Pass Labs HPA-1. I’m presently using a Grado extension cable, but I am losing a lot of detail because of the quality of the cable. While some loss is expected because of the length of the cable, the less the better.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying my new iBasso DX220 lately. In an effort to explore all its features, I was going to hook it up as a transport and connect an external DAC via the SPDIF output on top. The connection is a 3.5mm port, and the cable that came with it is a 3.5mm TS to RCA-type coaxial connector. My question is: I have a 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS OTG cable from another bit of kit. (1) Will that carry the digital signal to another 3.5mm digital input and (2) is it ok to use a TRS connector if the unit’s supplied cable is TS?

[As another option, I could use an optical cable with 3.5mm connectors, but I think those are unreliable above 96khz?]

Thanks!

1 Like

I follow this question

I don’t know what a “TRS OTG” cable is. The only “OTG” I am aware of is a USB cable configuration.

So, I can’t answer your first question.

In regards to your second question, the answer is “it depends”. If the socket in the DX220 is actually a TS socket, then it might work, but if it doesn’t it shouldn’t damage anything. If it’s a TRS socket, then it’ll depend on how that socket and the TRS cable are wired.

iBasso are probably your best source of information on this one.

Maybe a TRS OTG is a headphone cable you use when you are out and about?

(BTW @dajokr, I am just kidding, but I am interested to know what a TRS OTG is)