The Off Topic

I’ve been quiet on the forum and some of you know this, most don’t. I’m taking my first official vacation since @andrew and I started Headphones.com where I don’t need to work through it. My wife has never been to Europe and my friend was gettimg married in Ireland so we decided to make a trip of it. Currently on our last night in Rome. Once I have stable Wi-Fi I’ll upload some pictures!

17 Likes

Mmmm. Enjoy the gelato.

Headphones.com wasn’t built in a day.”

4 Likes

Finally!!

Out of the office and on summer vacation for a couple of weeks!

January 2nd to August 19th is a long stretch!

7 Likes

Are you going somewhere cool? I suppose I mean that using both definitions of the word ‘cool’, but I was thinking about how hot it already is where you live.

Just heading to the beach house for a couple of weeks to disconnect. It is a few degrees cooler down there, especially at night, but is still in the high 30’s (around 100°F) during the day.

3 Likes

I posted this in relation to a conversation in the what’s in the box thread, but thought some of us olds might find this amusing. It’s a few weeks old now, but just funny how far in the future things seemed when we were young. Now they’re here or shortly arriving

https://twitter.com/BKergin/status/1552760072576438272?t=8RovLwEECQ0wsgtCTSv-uQ&s=19

3 Likes

Happy Cake Day @Lou_Ford and @Relype.

6 Likes

Happy Annual Cake Day!!! @Lou_Ford @Relype
cakecakecakecakecakecakecakecakecakecakecakecakecakecake

5 Likes

Thank you ! Hope you all have a great day too !

3 Likes

Thank you, @prfallon69 and @hottyson !
I love cake.

4 Likes

Happy :cake: cake day to both of you. Many audio returns for the day. @Relype, @Lou_Ford

3 Likes

Little photo dump as promised!

16 Likes

Where is that town with the colorful buildings and picturesque harbor? It looks amazing. Is it Portofino?

3 Likes

My guess is somewhere along the Cinque Terre

4 Likes

Yup!

Manarola to be exact! We did Cinque Terre two days ago and hit up 4 out of 5 towns. Was one of my favourite visits of the trip so far.

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful walk! Me and the family did it too a few years ago. The boat ride along the shore was also pretty fun.

1 Like

My favorite may be Vernazza…cause it’s every little boy’s dream town: Two castles to fend off pirates, a tunnel going to a hidden beach, and a movie-style stone chapel on the beach. We ate pasta at a restaurant in the main walk from the train station. This was after an in-over-our-heads long, steep, and rocky overland walk from Corniglia.

Grabbed a photo, as mine are somewhere that’ll take longer to find.

Added: Corniglia

6 Likes

These pictures are only going to hurt you, because I can see my audio fund being diverted to my travel fund. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Annoying or unintentionally bad advertising language

It’s more often heard on the radio, but sometimes on TV. On TV, it’s usually forgetting that adverbs are a part of speech, but here is what drives me nuts on radio - and the meaning.

This is a Public Announcement — not a public service announcement, but they want you to think that it might be.

Due to a decline in the economy, …. Hmmm these words show up whether or not there is a decline in the economy. And there is never a product that is offered due to a decline in the economy

An Open Phone Line has Been Established. I think this is my favorite. You can almost see the Unnecessary Capitalization. It means they paid the phone company and got a phone number. But in a much more important way.

Those who ACTIVATE this protection. if you buy what we’re selling

I invite you to add your favorites, whether it’s a “Fry Pan” or a non-stick surface that won’t scratch when you use it to chip rocks.

2 Likes

As someone who spends far too much time on cruise ships, I get irritated by certain things that are seen over and over again, especially via the PA.

Some of the most frequent are:

“Ding dong ding dong… May I have your attention please”

Is that that what the ding dong is for, to request your attention?

“Ding dong ding dong… This is a public address message”

Using the PA system sort of hinted at that already.

“Ding dong ding dong… This is a personal call for Mr X”

Well, seeing that you are making it over the PA system, it isn’t very personal is it?

I could go on but I’m not going to. Now get off my lawn!!!

(Cruise ships also seem to have Dinning Rooms instead of Dining Rooms for some reason)

1 Like