The Off Topic

Might not mean much to some of you, but had to stop by here once I flew into Indianapolis for training. No regrets…

4 Likes

One of my pleasant childhood memories involves White Castle…

My parents were entertaining a board member of my dad’s employer, a large publicly held German construction firm. This board member was visiting us from Germany and, thinking that it would be fun to go out for dinner with the whole family, asked my parents to suggest a place. To my parents’ horror, I immediately suggested White Castle. I’d never actually eaten there, but I knew it looked like a castle, so it had to be good, right? After some mumbled conversation in which my parents no doubt tried to explain to this nice man what a “White Castle” was, to my parents’ even bigger horror he gamely agreed to eat there. I didn’t notice whether or not he enjoyed the food, but he remained a good sport through the whole experience and I like to think that it became a pleasant memory for him as well.

I wish I could remember his name, as do I wish that I had retained a child’s power of persuasion!

@neo_styles thanks for reminding me of this story, I’ll do well to remember it when my children make their own outlandish wishes.

3 Likes

White Castle just reminds me of drunken nights in Vegas.

4 Likes

In an entirely-non-slider-related idiom … I am … annoyed.

Not in a “bad” way, as if “annoyance” can ever be “good” …

But these bleedin’ RAAL-requisite SR1a are, not to misquote Hugh Jackson (in the company of Maria Berry - and yes that’s “Halle” to you wonderful ingrates who’ve not had the pleasure of her company*) … “Is fucking up my Chi”.

It’s one thing to have to contemplate an all-new solid-state chain. It’s another entirely to be looking at once’s nice-car-priced TOTL/SOTA tube headphone amplifier and thinking “Why do you not have a fucking pre-out?!”

First-world problems, I suppose.

*I am not, necessarily, saying that I have.

6 Likes

A thought … a long held one … but just a thought all the same …

Be VERY wary of any review, or reviewer, than can’t/won’t/doesn’t cite musical references.

And ALWAYS go with what you like on the basis of an actual audition.

3 Likes

Is that a Swordfish reference? I forgot about that movie. I actually used to watch it all the time when I had a working DVD. I think I watched it too many times it’s now scratched and skips.

I am wary of any reviewer, but did you come across a review that put you off?

4 Likes

It is; indeed!

Oh HELL yes! :wink:

In the interests of fostering … amity … here … I won’t cite specifics (you can ask, privately, of course).

3 Likes

Wow…what a solid, hefty, powerful chunk of metal this thing is. Review will be coming within the next couple weeks. Initial impressions, though, is that this thing has some serious meat to its sound (even single-ended). Going to enjoy this write-up.

4 Likes

I hope it’s as much fun for you as my Cayin has been for me. I was much more taken with it than I expected to be. Wouldn’t mind if mine had dual slots too though!

3 Likes

I think I’ve already got about a page and a half of usage/listening notes written out in shorthand, so there’s going to be a lot of jibberish to synthesize. I’m also finding myself pretty quickly smitten with how great the N5iiS sounds, so I can only imagine the wow factor you must have received from the N8. This thing is so different from what I would have expected out of an ESS-fed DAP and I’ve only been playing Tidal content that’s downloaded for offline use.

Not sure how much use the dual slots are going to get, but cheap as 128GB cards have gotten, I might have to rethink that. Just wish Tidal would have released the information Cayin needs to assign one of the sD slots as a download location (you’re stuck on internal memory).

4 Likes

A few months, Radio Paradise dropped their groovy and rockin streams. Today I fired up the Android tablet for the first time in weeks, and I see and hear both options. Is this just old cache, or is something else going on?

1 Like

Finally built the lil diorama!! I had to buy 3 other LEGO sets to get this lil set :laughing:

Sorry for the size editing on the iPad in Lightroom…Photoshop can’t come quickly enough to iPad lol

6 Likes

Been absent a bit this weekend. Some ups, lot of downs, but at least I finally managed to grab this big mama from Fry’s and test it out on some 4k content before I haul it to work for CAD/technical writing duties. Definitely hits the “eye candy” wicket :slight_smile:

Son’s working on an 1800-piece Lego set on the other side of this right now. 2 hours in and he’s almost halfway through. Color me impressed!

4 Likes

I have this week off from work (I still had a weeks paternity leave that I had to take) and thought I would get time to work on some of the reviews I want to get finished.

Then I decided that I would paint my living room and used the paint smell as an excuse to move to the beach house for a few days.

I brought a couple of IEMs with me although I am not sure that I will get anything productive done, I’m having too much fun sitting back and relaxing while listening to them and enjoying the view…

5 Likes

At long last, the ZSN Pro have arrived! Also really excited to see my first contribution to the Community Preview Program show up on the same day. The next two weeks of reviewing should be quite fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My wife has taken my Comets as her new IEMs lol…thank goodness! Bye crappy Skullcandy IEMs that cost $15 lol…slowly I’ll convert her to being an audiophile!

…who am I kidding :laughing:

4 Likes

Gotta start somewhere, bud. Initial impressions tell me that these are what I think the Noble X were trying to be. Have only used the Marshmallow tips so far, though.

3 Likes

I’m personally particular to the spiral dots! They have a massive bore size that leaves the (particularly Campfire IEMs) nozzles open and not blocked.

2 Likes

One of the devs posted this on our work slack lol, I like the launcher one that shows on the link but there are some pretty good ones, I lol’d.

3 Likes

3 Likes