The Off Topic

I couldn’t choose between Clapton and Armstrong.

4 Likes

I agree, I’d have preferred to vote for both, and get rid of both Wagner and the Phantom of the Opera.

3 Likes

This is really a random thought poll, with little effort to keep things in the same ballpark. Results are interesting so far. I agree that some of the choices are hard. Two ties at this point. Surprising strength for some choices. @PaisleyUnderground sometimes it the luck of the draw.

2 Likes

Based on the radically different crowds present at various concerts I’ve attended, preferences mostly follow from exposure. “It was the only thing on the radio so I learned to like it.” “I never heard of XYZ before.” Concerts are very obviously self-segregated by age, gender, race/ethnicity, but the fans may not have known this before they showed up.

Average music consumers are a product of publicity and passive exposure; only a minority dig deeper or explore stuff from other generations. I’d personally always vote for the most talented option of a given comparison even if they aren’t from my generation or favored genres.

1 Like

Now if this one would have been Clapton or Miles Davis, Miles for me.

3 Likes

Talent, history, influences and contributing factor towards music pretty much define how I lean. But music is so personal which is a good thing.

1 Like

I had the same quandary.

1 Like

If I flipped a coin for each, does it still count?

This is kind of fun. I’m thinking I should start a topic, Pennstac’s Pernicious & Peculiar Polls
Should I do it?

Should @Pennstac Start His Own Poll Topic?
  • Yes, and I’ll follow it
  • Yes, and I’ll never look at it
  • No, it ruins the element of surprise
  • No, not if they aren’t better than the last poll
  • I’m going to build my own poll topic, why should @Pennstac have all the fun?

0 voters

4 Likes

“Eric Clapton is the Mike’s hard lemonade of rock music.” —Phoebe Bridgers

Also I’m impressed with the Taylor Swift hate. At least try folklore. It is both true that the Grammy’s mean nothing and folklore is a good album.

2 Likes

I refuse to choose between deadmou5 and bootsy. Total bs.

2 Likes

A deadmau5 & bootsy collaboration, now that would be a whole new world of fusion.

1 Like

Wasn’t Moby’s Play album almost just that? Everything that can be mashed together or fused in a fusion has been done already. At least twice. We are fully saturated in pop creativity and derivatives and rip-offs.

1 Like

Lack of popularity is <> hate. She’s okay, just okay. Talented but not unique or memorable IMO. If I forget the song before the song is done…

Who ! …:grinning:

You people chose the band that made a top 5 most annoying one hit wonder (I have to leave space for how bizarre or something like that) over taytay. I can’t defend that. I would walk 500 miles to not hear I would walk 500 miles

2 Likes

Easily 80% to 90% of the Billboard Hot 100 has been formula “Corporate Music Product” for generations. An awful lot of forgettable product was released in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and ever since. It’s not intended to be sold for more than a month or a season. It’s no accident that the Grammy Awards have long been nicknamed the Grannys. I take the Hot 100 as stuff to avoid, as I know it’s gonna be predictable product.

There are exceptions of course, and serious talent often rises above.

1 Like

I’ve been scarce here today. It was time to do my brackets. The charity pool has a deadline of 11 AM tomorrow - and I need to check the one from work.

In the spirit of bracketology, I closed the “play-in round” of my polls, and will work on the smackdown. Possibly in a topic designed for it. As better than half voted for my own little idea of an idiot sandbox to play polls in.

If I do make a topic for polls, Others would be invited to make polls there also. And they will have the “Marquis of Queensbury” rules. Like the famous island Norule Atoll.

3 Likes

I have been processing this a bit since I read it earlier today. I can’t speak to the focals as I have heard zero focal headphones.

But I have definitely observed the same thing in other industries.

I want to put out a question about another brand that won’t be popular:

Is ZMF in that same situation?

To be clear, I am not saying it is. I ask because I see a lot of correlation between the way focal fanbase and ZMF fanbase talk about their respective products. Then privately, I hear a lot of “sold that it’s metallic” or “sold that it’s a wonky FR”. Etc.

(Not trying to start a flame war, just an open honest discussion)

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s more the case that there isn’t one headphone that suits everyone, but Focal and ZMF headphones are so beloved by their owners that they are universally recommended as if they are the phones that suit everyone, which just amps the hype.

Then when someone buys purely on reputation, if they’re not the golden unicorn headphone they’re made out to be, but merely very good, this leads to disappointment.

I say this as objectively as I can, as an owner of 2 ZMF and 1 Focal headphone. And 1 ZMF sweatshirt, that I have to say is the best sweatshirt I’ve ever bought. In my opinion of course.

13 Likes