The Ultra Cheap IEM Thread

Below is my review of the CCA-C10. Let me know if I need to change anything to comply with forum rules.

INTRODUCTION/DISCLAIMER:

The CCA-C10 is an in-ear monitor with a hybrid driver configuration (1DD+4BA per side) that retails for approximately 28 at the time of this review. I purchased the C10 from the Nicehck Audio Store on AliExpress for .1 with the expectation of a fair and objective review.

SOURCES

I have used the CCA-C10 with the following sources:

Hidizs AP60II > CCA-C10

Windows 10 PC > JDS Labs The Element > CCA-C10

Windows 10 PC > Hidizs AP60II > CCA-C10

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Global > CCA-C10

Pixel 3 > Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle > CCA-C10

I have tested these headphones with local FLAC, Spotify Premium (256/320 kbps Ogg Vorbis), Youtube Music (256 kbps AAC), and Google Play Music (320kbps MP3).

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES

The CCA-C10 comes in a small rectangular white box. The box pictures the CCA-C10 on the front and gives the manufacturer’s contact information and technical specifications for the IEM on the back. Inside the box are the IEMs, a detachable .75mm 2-pin cable, 4 sets of eartips (1 generic black silicone, 3 KZ Starline-type [S, M, L]), a user manual, and a warranty card. The CCA-C10 does not come with a carry bag or case.

BUILD QUALITY / DESIGN

The CCA-C10 is almost identical to the KZ ZSN in design, with a zinc alloy faceplate and a clear acrylic body. The CCA logo is printed on the faceplate along with the total driver count. The model name, “left” or “right”, and “10 Hybrid technology” are printed on the side of each housing. Each earpiece has small two circular vents on the inner face of the housing. Despite these vents, I experienced moderate driver flex when inserting the earphones. The nozzle does not have a lip for securing eartips.

The cable is braided copper with aluminium housings for the 2-pin connections and a rubber L-shaped housing for the 3.5mm jack. The 2-pin housing have blue and red markings to indicate left and right. The cable has pre-formed ear-guides without memory wire. There is no chin-adjustment choker. The cable is very tangle-prone and seems to attract static electricity.

COMFORT / FIT / ISOLATION

The CCA-C10 is intended to be worn cable-up only. Comfort is excellent but getting a secure fit is difficult because the nozzles are at a strange angle relative to the housings. I felt like the nozzles would migrate out of my ear canals while wearing the C10s. I had to use the largest included Starline-type eartips to get a good seal. Isolation is average.

SOUND

The CCA-C10 has a very mild airy V-shaped tuning. The extended and forceful sub-bass is the first thing I notice when I use the C10. The C10s have the best sub-bass I have heard on a sub-$50 IEM. Mid-bass is elevated without overwhelming either the sub-bass or the lower mids. The bass response is very quick for a dynamic driver with regards to both attack and decay. Bass texture is somewhat dry.

The lower mids are present and smooth without being either recessed or over-emphasized. Upper mids are more prominent without going overboard with presence. Detail retrieval is impressive for the price. There is a hint of sibilance on female vocals.

Treble is crisp, erring on the side of smoothness while still preserving an impressive amount of clarity. There is a good deal of air but not a ton of sparkle. Transients are convincing.

Imaging is realistic. Instrument separation is above average. Soundstage is wider and deeper than average.

MEASUREMENTS

My measurements were conducted with a Dayton iMM-6 microphone using a vinyl tubing coupler and a calibrated USB sound interface. The measurements are presented with 1/12th smoothing and without compensation.

AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND SOURCE PAIRING

With a sensitivity of 108dB and an impedance of 32ohms, I do not feel the C10 benefits noticeably from dedicated amplification. The C10 does not hiss.

COMPARISONS

CCA-C10 (1DD+4BA) [$28] vs Yinyoo V2 (dual diaphragm biodynamic driver) [$49]

The V2 is an overall warmer IEM. The C10 has much better sub-bass extension and a smaller midbass hump. The C10 has quicker bass decay. The V2 has more textured bass. The V2’s bass bleeds into the lower midrange more than the C10’s does. The V2 has a warmer lower midrange. The C10 has a more more prominent upper midrange, especially between 1–4k. The treble on these two IEMs is very similar, but the C10 is airier. The C10’s soundstage is larger. The C10 has better detail retrieval and quicker treble decay. Instrument separation is more or less a dead heat. Imaging is also even between the two. The sensitivity of the two earphones is similar. Neither benefit from dedicated amplification. The C10 is more comfortable. The V2 is less comfortable but has a more secure fit.

CCA-C10 (1DD/4BA) [$28] vs Yersen FEN-2000 (1 DD+1BA) [$24]

The FEN-2000 is more V-shaped than the C10. The tonality of the C10 is more realistic. The FEN-2000 has similar sub-bass extension and a larger midbass hump. The C10 has quicker bass decay. The two IEMs have similar lower midranges. The FEN-2000 has a more aggressive upper midrange. Despite this, the C10 has better detail retrieval. The C10 has a more natural-sounding midrange. The FEN-2000’s treble is more energetic, with greater sparkle, but is rather grainy, especially at higher volumes. The C10 has quicker treble decay. The FEN-2000 is more detailed and airier but is harsher. The C10 has a larger soundstage and better instrument separation. The C10 has better imaging. The FEN-2000 is harder to drive and may need a more powerful source if attaining adequate listening volume is an issue with a smartphone. Like the similarly-shaped V2, the FEN-2000 is less comfortable but has a more secure fit.

CLOSING WORDS

Despite a mediocre cable and accessory selection, the CCA-C10 represents a killer value for an entry-level hybrid, with good build quality, a balanced sound signature, and great detail retrieval.

6 Likes