The Ultra Cheap IEM Thread

Brutal honesty is good. There’s a lot of waffle on the Internet in amongst the good reviews. Honesty is always the best policy.

Good Paul, let’s test your honesty: which colour is more appealing: green or blue?

Blue. Green is too much like a stoplight or Christmas tree. I avoid green/red color schemes for the most part due to the stop and go implications.

1 Like

Blue my favourite colour. Being totally honest though I do also like the look of the Green banner. Now I’m caught in two minds. :grin:. Sorry.

But the Blue would look even better if it had the same black bar above it that the green one does.

I thought everything had to be purple now?? :smile:

(Personally I prefer the green)

1 Like

So far we have an honourable tie…green is psychologically actually very attractive.

UPDATE: green leads now 5-1. Let’s put it like that: green is less common than blue.

1 Like

The blue looks very similar to Stereophile’s banner so I say green for differentiation.

1 Like

What about PURPLE?

1 Like

Check whether the channels match…would be a good indication.

There is indeed a lot of BRUTAL waffling going on :wink:

1 Like

I just put a set of double-flange mediums on the KZ ZSN. I like both the comfort and isolation. Better than the standard tips and better than the basic spinfit.

However the red clashes with CYAN, and would be worse with PURPLE. Anyone with eyes inside my ears would be offended.

purple

2 Likes

Purple…always purple! :wink:

4 Likes

The black bar is for editing only…you won’t see it.

1 Like

That bar seems to match the avatar of @generic in the top corner very well :smiley:

(I still vote for the green, purple is for those that can’t decide if they like pink or blue :wink: )

4 Likes

Deep Purple.

1 Like

I saw a show with them and Mountain once. It was a free show and I’d never heard of either band before. Mountain made an impression on me, Deep Purple I don’t really remember.

1 Like

“It’s not pink it’s salmon” lol… But I would go with pink…

1 Like

While I liked the N3 more than most other people did, that was in large part because I was able to EQ out the things I didn’t like about it. There’s a technically exceptional IEM in there buried under bad (or non-existent?) tuning that I was able to unlock, and with the N3’s power requirements being as high as they are, anyone using it should have access to EQ. I hope that came across.
The other thing I felt constrained by was my own previous star ratings on Head-Fi of IEMs that I liked less, specifically the PHB EM-023, which I had given 3.5 stars. I share B9Scrambler’s thoughts on the challenge of keeping quantitative ratings internally consistent given how quickly Chi-Fi is improving.
I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts because this situation has left me feeling uncomfortable and I’m not sure how I could have handled it better.

1 Like

I don’t use numeric evaluation at all and make this clear in my standard disclaimer. Totally impossible to be consistent.

A) One’s own blog: difficult enough to be consistent. No reason to have a scheme.

B) Forums such as Head-Fi: impossible as everybody has their own criteria so that any given showcase is already internally inconsistent. Second, the stars translated into percentages (1=20%, 2=40% etc.) do not correlate well with the attributes attached to them (poor, good etc.).

I wrote about the N3s that I would not spend any money on them as they produce an aggressive, fatiguing sound. That’s enough said. I would also never purchase the Koels and send them back if I had [did so with the B400]. In fact, I requested to have the “free samples*” returned to their Hongkong headquarters for Brainwavz’s own reproduction of our results (channel imbalance, no bass). They will go back as soon as I have figured out the modalities with their shipping department.

After all, we don’t pick up, we drop off :smile:!

*my favourite euphemism: a “sample” is defined as a small part or quantity intended to show what the whole is like .

2 Likes