The Ultra Cheap IEM Thread

So guys, update: I’ve eventually bought the Final Audio e3000 with microphone. They arrived yesterday and I wanted to give you my impressions after a few hours of listening.

Two words: MAMMA MIA! They’re tiny and extremely light and it feels like you have nothing in your ears at all. Obviously the right earpiece feels a bit heavier due to the microphone, but the difference is basically non-existent. The sound is so detailed, clean, profound and pretty balanced, with only the mids a little bit recessed but not that much: voices, guitars, trumpets etc. are great. I suppose after the burn in the sound will “open up” more in this sense. For now I just slightly gave some boost with the EQ on mids/high-mids, but a very small one to suit my likings more. The bass is definitely there: it’s perfecly controlled, punchy, detailed and not overwhelming at all. No sign of harshness whatsoever and lots of details in the treble also. Instruments separation is excellent, while the image and soundstage are just incredible. It’s like having a 7.1 surround around your head. To give you an idea of the space it produces, it’s like being live at the Nirvana Unplugged (and in fact that sounds amazing). You can pinpoint every instrument in space and doesn’t get muddy even with lots of them, on the contrary: the more, the better.

The only downsides compared to the Sony I’ve been using are the cable, which seems flimsy (especially the bit connected to the actual earpiece) and noise isolation: it’s decent, more than enough for me, but not that great. I listen to music on my laptop at home and voices or tv are present, but once the music starts, unless it’s a calm music, they’re 99% gone even at a normal volume. I’ve changed the medium tips with the large ones (there’s also the XL size) 'cause they fit better in my ears and it helped a little bit. Anyway if you’re planning to use them in crowded places, you might have issues with this. They’re also a little more prone than average to sound leaking, but unless you turn the volume up a lot it’s not that bad (not as bad as your ears, in this case :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

Compared to my uncle’s Sennheiser 5.00 the bass is more precise, mids are less recessed, the sound is warmer, there’s more detail overall, a better stereo image and definetely a bigger soundstage. Sound isolation and leaking is worse here also.

The microphone, well… is a regular microphone: it does its job, nothing to say about it. It has one button to play/pause and skip tracks and that’s it.

In general I’ve discovered new sounds in almost every song I’ve listened to. Kanye’s “Black Skinhead” is almost a completely different song from the one I knew; Michael Bublè’s “Moondance” is live at my house; you can hear every single bit of sound in every Depeche Mode’s song; Led Zeppelin, Springsteen, Foo Fighters, Aerosmith, Korn, AC/DC etc. are just “full”. EDM, hip hop, trap, pop, rock, metal: everything sounds just like it should.

It’s an IEM that follows songs: it takes the best out of them, it doesn’t impose its signature. Honestly: I have no idea how they did it at Final, but they put all this in such a tiny aluminum body with just two 6.4mm drivers. And it costs 50-60 dollars/euros. I don’t know how Tin or KZ/CCA IEMs sound, but man this is… Mamma mia!

7 Likes

Nice to see you are happy!

3 Likes

This is what it’s all about! So glad you are enjoying them!

3 Likes

There is lots up grips on Amazon final e3000 reviews about failure after a few months and a non responsive warranty department. Can you keep us updated if you have any issues.

1 Like

I can’t promise you 100% but I’ll do my best if that’s the (unfortunate) case.

1 Like

Hello, I’m new to the forum (and to the hobby). I hope this isn’t the wrong place to ask for this advice … I’ve got 2 headphones now, KZ ZS10 Pro and KZ ZSN. Both seem very similar to my (admittedly untrained) ears. I had some RevoNext QT2s, but returned them because I couldn’t get a good fit and the sound seemed thin and a bit screechy to me. Maybe those 2 issues are related. Anyway, I like the KZ IEMs, and I’m now wondering if there’s a recommendation for something else that would be significantly different sounding. Broaden my listening experiences. I’m pretty treble averse, so a warmer direction is what I’m looking for, I think. I could go as high as $100 or $150, so not really Ultra Cheap. I listen to mostly instrumental/classical music, some 80s pop/rock. I’m using a Fulla connected to my Mac, using Tidal or using the Pine app to play FLACs ripped from old CDs. Thanks!

3 Likes

Welcome Brian, this thread is more aimed towards the sub $100 IEMs, so maybe you could post in the General purchase advice thread:
https://forum.headphones.com/t/general-purchase-advice-ask-your-questions-for-advice-here/6620/34
(or maybe someone can move your post there for you)

Also, you could check out this thread:
https://forum.headphones.com/t/chinese-brands-iems-discussion/2389/180
There are some good discussions in there at all price ranges.

However, seeing that you are in the Ultra Cheap thread, let me see if I can make some suggestions within this bracket…

You say you like KZ IEMs, in which case the ZSX seems to get a lot of praise, however, you also say that you would like something completely different, so maybe something like the Blon BL03 would suit you, it is a little bass heavy and more sudued in the higher ranges than the ZS10 Pro (you can see my review a little further up on this page).

Although it technically falls outside the $100 limit of this thread, I am really enjoying the Moondrop Starfield so far. I find it more balanced and smooth than the KZ offerings you have, while still having great detail and an overall decent sound.

I hope this is of some help and happy hunting!!

3 Likes

Or for something a little different the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro. I like mine, and at $99.95, they fit this thread. I think @ProfFalkin also has a pair and was the influencer on me. It’s a 10mm dynamic driver, so you tend toward the sound signature you like.

2 Likes

You might look at dynamic driver products. In my experience they tend to be more mid-range focused and less piercing than cheaper balanced armature products.

In addition what was already mentioned by @SenyorC and @pennstac , check out Moondrop’s products and many reviews by @antdroid. A while back I purchased the (now discontinued) Kanas Pro.

3 Likes

speaking of which, im getting the latest Moondrop IEM, SSR early next week. I believe Resolve is as well.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Gives me something to think about …

1 Like

A little late to the party, but…

… there’s also SE215. Here’s a comparison between the two. I find the Shure in the darker realm. But in case you want even less treble, just get a EATFL1-6 triple flange sleeves.

SE215 are my running IEMs, btw. I’ve been using the same unit since 2011. They’re currently on summer sale (with bluetooth module).

Cheers.

1 Like

Interesting comparison. Both of course are aimed at a pro market. I’m surprised at the Shure edging the Senn in imaging, as I thought the imaging was very good on the IE 40 Pro. I was driving it from the iFi xDSD directly, so that may be a difference.

2 Likes

This is my review of the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014. If anyone would prefer to read it in Spanish (or see it in Spanish on YouTube), they can find it on my blog (link in my profile).

URBANFUN YBF-ISS014

Shortly after receiving the Blon BL03, which I just reviewed recently (you can find that review here: https://achoreviewsenglish.blogspot.com/2020/06/review-blon-bl03.html), I received the Urbanfun YF-ISS014, which is a name I can’t remember without looking it up each time, so I’ll just refer to them as the UF. Due to receiving these at more or less the same time and dividing listening time between the two, it is understandable that I will compare them directly to the BL03, especially after reading some comments that said that the YBF were a better version of the BL03 with the problems resolved.

Build…

At first glance, they look nearly identical to the Blon’s but they are in fact very different, both in comfort and sound.

The general consensus on these is that they are more comfortable than the BL03 due to having a longer insertion, however, personally I preferred the comfort of the Blons, although these are not uncomfortable, I just find that the right side has a habit of moving even when using foam tips. Saying that, each person’s anatomy is completely different so it will all be down to personal preference.

The shells of the UF are also made of metal, are quite light and are of a similar size, except for the length of the nozzle, but in my opinion that is more or less where the similarities end.

The cable that is included is not the worst, it is acceptable, although there are much better cables out there. For connections the UF uses MMCX style connectors and that is one of its biggest flaws appears. There are many complaints about the QC of these, with people reporting defective connectors upon arrival and also the connectors breaking when swapping the cable.

In my case, I haven’t has this issue but it is something to definitely be aware of.

Sound…

As I said, in my opinion they are quite different to the BL03.

The bass is a lost less present which creates a much more balanced sound in the lower registries. They do not lack bass, it is there when it is needed, it is just not as dominant as on the Blon’s and does not seem to leak into the lower mids.

Due to this, the mids, especially male voices, seem clearer and better presented.

When reaching up into the treble, I have not noticed any sibilance except on tracks that are really harsh themselves, and I would say that the treble is the part that is most similar to the BL03 although a little tamer. These are not harsh IEMs, at least in the treble.

The details of the UF are pretty good, with decent speed and separation when dealing with more congested and intense parts of songs.

However, the timbre, in my opinion, is a long way from being good.

EDM…

As I spent some time listening to EDM on the Blon’s and it seems that this review is more of a comparison than anything else, I feel it is only fair to give them a try with the same music that I reached my conclusions with regarding them.

I will repeat that I am not a great fan of electronic music but I have given the UF a few hours with some boom boom.

My impression is that they are very clear but do not represent the bass in enough quantity or quality for this kind of music. After listening to EDM on the Blon, with the UF it is as though someone has turned down (or off) the subwoofer. I did not find myself having fun with EDM on these at all.

Hip-Hop…

With Hip Hop, specifically the “2001” album by Dre and the “All Eyez On Me” album by Tupac, I found them much better than the Blon. Due to the fact that the lower mids are much cleaner, it is much easier to appreciate the details. While the timbre is again not correct, as this music does not feature many real instruments (at least on these albums) it is not as noticeable. If you have listened to these albums as many times as I have, then you will notice that they sound different but it is not something that makes you feel they sound wrong.

Acoustic…

Moving on to what is probably my favourite genre, at least for general listening, this is where the UF fail for me.

With acoustic music, referring to mainly Spanish guitars, acoustic guitars, acoustic basses, female vocals etc. the clarity and details are more than acceptable, there is a general cleanliness and separation of the instruments that is great, but the instruments themselves sound lifeless.

It is not that they sound bad, as I said, they are very clean, but the timbre is completely off, resulting in hollow sounding stringed instruments, missing the body that makes them sound real, as though a filter has been added or the wrong mic has been used.

The voices are again clean and well defined but missing the life that is needed in this kind of music. There is no warmth to speak of.

Seeing this problem, I spent some time listening to someone who, in my opinion, is one of the best non amplified guitarists in history, Paco De Lucia.

Unfortunately the result is the same. Even though every note is presented with perfect clarity, it is missing the body that makes the Spanish guitar the great instrument that it is.

Modern Pop…

With modern pop they do seem to do a little better, depending on the song. As long as the track in question is not based on stringed instruments and pianos, on other words, not acoustic, the sound signature of the UF actually presents the music in a way that I like.

As they have a more neutral signature than others, such as the Blon, they do not exaggerate the V shape that is already baked into so much of the modern releases, making it feel a little more relaxed.

At no moment do they seem to loose control or clarity, even in tracks that are overly bass heavy, and the bass does not have a negative impact on the mids at all.

Measurements…

Taking a look at the measurements, it shows how the UF are pretty neutral, or are at least aimed that way. The graph does show a peak around 12kHz as it is rolling off, however, that is not something I noticed while listening, maybe due to the fact that although it shows as a peak, it is actually lower than the rest of the frequencies.

If we look at the UF in comparison to the Blon BL03, it is very easy to see how the bass is much more exaggerated on the Blon, in fact, all the way up to around 2kHz the Blons are more exaggerated. The frequency curve is very similar between the two except for that last peak as treble rolls off which is about 1kHz higher on the UF.

This goes to prove that the frequency response is just a small part of judging the sound of an IEM, as I would say that the sound is from two different worlds.

*These measurements are taken on my own system that is in no way calibrated to match the systems of any other person. My measurements must not be compared to any other measurements taken on any other system and are only presented as a guide to compare between different IEMs I have measured. For more info on how I do my measurements, you can visit this link: https://achoreviewsenglish.blogspot.com/2020/06/acho-reviews-measurements.html

My conclusions…

While the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 (yes, I looked it up) have some things going for them that I had not yet found in any IEM of this price range, such as their detail, separation of instruments and in general their capability to deal with even the most complex passages, they also lack some things that I find neccesary in an IEM, especially when listening for pleasure.

Their soundstage is not excessively wide and their imaging is ok but not great, this can be noticed by using the typical tracks like “Letter” by Yoshi Orikawa and “La Luna” by Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra.

The incorrect timbre, that results in the life that is missing from guitars and other acoustic instruments, is something that, at least for me, stops me from enjoying the music.

I think that they would be great for editing purposes, or even mixing, as long as you already know what the music sounds like before you mix it. In fact, I could quite easily use these as monitors on stage, where it is important to hear what is going on around me, replacing the ZS10 Pro that I have been using until now, but I find the ZS10 Pro more comfortable.

But for music listening purposes, which is the main reason for purchasing these, I prefer the Blon BL03 (even with the dirtiness in the lower mids), the ZS10 Pro or even the Sony MH755 which cost me 1/6 of the price of these.

7 Likes

excellent review @SenyorC.

2 Likes

Blon BL-05 was provided to me free of charge by AK Audio store. I was given a limited time to publish the review, thus this review was written with outside pressure, this may have affected my judgement on this product.

Introduction-
We are all familiar with Blon’s BL-03, a much anticipated in ear monitor from last year. Does Blon-05 live up to the hype of it’s previous generation, the well hyped Blon BL-03? Blon BL-03 itself was a very controversial IEM in the market, you either loved it or hated it. One thing which I know for sure, is that Blon-03 required some some serious time investment to make it suit you. Did Blon-05 follow the same path?

Photo reference: original package contents of Blon BL-05

Unboxing experience-
We are greeted by the already familiar slim and long box, which has the authentic and infamous “Belief, Letmusicburn, Oppoty, Nevergiveup”, apparently that is the true meaning behind the company’s name, BLON. There’s nothing too special about the unboxing experience, just a basic package with nothing fancy, you have to keep in mind the price range of this in ear monitor.
At first when I opened the package, I thought that the eartips were covered in human hair. However it appeared to be “flakes” from the white piece which holds the in ear monitors.

Something to point out is that I have received two sets of accessories, the ones which arrive with the stock Blon BL-05 (original accessories), and an extra package which has foam tips and two sets of extra cables (two sets of silver plated cables). It should be clear that when buying the normal Blon BL-05 package, you do not get the extra accessories.

Photo reference: The extra accessories which I received

Accessories-
Usually you should not expect crazy accessories from a budget set of in ear monitors, I also strongly believe that it’s better to include less accessories than include more accessories with crappy quality. I strongly stand behind this. This is the case with BL-05… except it doesn’t include many accessories. In fact, it’s almost identical to the accessories included with the old BL-03. It comes with the same canvas pouch, which features BLON branding on it, the same 0.78mm 2-pin cable. There are two sets of eartips: one set of S/M/L small bore eartips, and another of S/M/L wide-bore eartips.

Build quality-
I believe the build quality of the housing shell of the Blon-05 is by far it’s best feature, at least from the build quality aspect. It’s made out of metal with a chrome finish. It follows the same chrome look of the previous Blon BL-03, except this time it features a completely new shape and look. It features a gold accent on the face of the housing, it’s shaped like a “key hole”, it’s raised and features the brand name, including the labelling for “left” and “right”.
By now everyone should be familiar with the cable of the Blon BL-03. Blon decided to follow the same path and include the same cable with Blon BL-05. It’s the worst, awful quality and feel, just a big turn off. It’s certainly not built to last, especially looking at the two “fangs” at the Y-splitter, which will certainly break off with enough usage. The 3.5 mm jack is angled, housed in cheap plastic… which doesn’t feel pleasant. I wasn’t impressed with the complete lack of metal in the cable, the whole cable is made out of cheap plastic.
There is no driver flex, which is always a good thing. Driver flex can me a very large problem, I myself cannot stand it, it’s possible my ears are sensitive to it. When I experienced drier flex on IMR R2 Aten, I never touched them again, but maybe it was a faulty unit, I haven’t confirmed that. So this is something which I never overlook, I greatly appreciate that Blon didn’t have this issue.

Design and design features-
Blon is going in the right direction with the design choice, because the looks are very nice with the BL-05, a sleeker and sharper looking in ear monitor than BL-03. The design reminds me of the Terminator franchise, especially the T-1000, played by Robert Patrick, the chrome, shapeshifting Terminator reminds me of the smooth chrome finish of BL-05. I can definitely see Arnold Schwarzenegger rocking the Bl-05.
The design features are pretty standard, as mentioned above, a flat, 90˚ 3.5 mm jack, and there is a protruding 2-pin connector. That’s it in terms of the design and design features, there is also a single vent on the inner side of the housing shell.

Comfort-
Out of the box, I thought that it had a very bad fit and seal. This is either because I haven’t broken the ear guide in, or because of the stock eartips… which were a useless fit for my ears. Not one had a good seal, it’s only after I put in the black foam eartips that the seal and fit improved. However after some time spent with it, the overall comfort wasn’t bad. The fit is in between, neither deep, nor shallow. On the other hand, the seal with the foam tips is very nice, not vacuum-tight, but nice fit. Blon BL-05 is suited for long listening sessions, proposing no discomfort issues after longer sessions. This isn’t the most comfortable pair of in ear monitors which I have tried, but it’s definitely not the most uncomfortable, far from that.

Sound-
Low range-

Low frequency range has a considerable extension, however doesn’t have full body and weight, which are both much appreciated. I especially found mid-bass to lack definition and texture. Sub-bass delivers a pleasing rumble. Let’s take for example Hanz Zimmer’s “Why so serious?” at mark 3:30. Sub-bass can be felt, felt being the key word. You can feel it pulsing and “breathing”. However at other times, such as the beginning of Arctic Monkey’s “ Do I wanna know?”, there is serious lack of thump and definition of the bass, the track loses most of it’s original energy due to it. While the low frequencies are extended, at times the lack of definition is very noticeable.

Mid range-
One of the first things which I have noticed when using the BL-05 is that it appeared to be shouty and thin in the mid range. With my first listen, this is the aspect I noticed straight away. Mid are noticeably recessed, this is no surprise because it has a V-shaped sound signature. I found the thin sound characteristic quite a problem, making them suck out of music, almost making them completely non-musical. To support these statements, let’s take a look at the classic “Bohemian Rhaphosy” by Queen, this track usually has a lot of energy behind it, it’s definitely one where you can notice many elements and characteristics…at the end of the day, Queen barely could put together the song due to the amount of layers Freddie had in mind. Focusing specifically on Freddie’s vocals in first third of the Bohemian Rhapsody, most of Freddie’s energy isn’t there. Where there would usually be body in his vocals, with the BL-05 there isn’t. The upper-midrange is well presented with good presence/edge, however there is a noticeable lack of musicality at lower-to-moderate volumes, which I did find to be a problem. Mark 2:17, when Freddie goes on to sing “…face the truth” is a specific part where this is clearly noticeable. Overall not impressed, pretty fatiguing and tinny sound characteristics in the mid range, and this is a no no for me.

High range-
This is the aspect which I appreciate the most with the BL-05. It delivers nice sparkle and top end where needed, while staying away from piercing. I did find it fairly unusual that the highest top end is somewhat rolled off, usually Travis Scott’s track “Stop trying to be God” is a reference I use for particular harshness, especially at mark 5:20 where Stevie Wonder’s harmonica hits its peak, and at this particular mark it didn’t have the sparkle which it should have. While the highest top-end doesn’t have the sparkle to deliver those frequencies, it did bring out the lower pitch frequencies of the high end. This track in particular just lacked the delivery which was supposed to be present, however, on a good note I did find the treble response to be quite pleasant. The treble is present, and it is presented well.

Soundstage-
I found the soundstage to be fairly narrow, and this combined with the previous weaknesses, it just finished off the job… in a bad way.

Conclusion
While the Blon BL-03 was much hyped, I can only see that hype train to have been forwarded onto the BL-05. Did BL-05 live up to that hype train? I wish I could say yes, but unfortunately I found the overall experience quite average, even below average at some points. With the market moving and evolving so fast, it’s very hard to put out a successful product. You always have to be two steps ahead of everyone, otherwise you just get buried in the sea of products which do not stand out. You can imagine that when there are thousands of fish in the sea, if you are among these fish, you must stand out, otherwise it will be very hard to attract somebody to pick you. Is Blon BL-05 a bad product? I wouldn’t say so. While there are definitely some aspects which could be improved upon, BL-05 itself isn’t a bad product, but it’s hard to recommend it when there are so many choices out there, and each one of these products has their own characteristic which makes it stand out. Blon BL-5’s lack of standing out features is the biggest disadvantage. Overall not my cup of tea.

6 Likes

Re-600s is an updated version of the older RE-600 which released back in 2013. Re-600s released in 2014, and then in 2017 Hifiman released Re-600s V2 in 2017. If you are following me, I will be reviewing the RE-600s V2, which is an earphone from Hifiman’s “Premium” line of products. It retails originally retailed for $200, and as of today (June 7th) you can get it on Hifiman’s official store for $74.90.

You may be wondering how the three releases differ from each other, and it’s not that complicated. The original RE-600 (2013) featured a balanced, TRRS jack and the old cable. RE-600s (2014) came with a single ended, 3.5 mm jack, the same goes with the RE-600s V2 (2017) except it came with an upgraded cable.

Let me put it formally like this:

RE-600 (2013 release) - balanced TRRS cable
RE-600s (2014 release) - 3.5 mm cable (still the same cable as previous release)
RE-600s V2 (2017 release) - 3.5 mm cable + upgraded single crystalline copper cable

I was sent RE-600s V2 as a sample from Mark on behalf of HifiMan. I was required to write an honest review and not overstate the advantages. Everything said in this review is my opinion and how I feel about the RE-600s V2, I had no external/outside influence on my opinion.

What’s in the box:

One of the first thing you are going to notice, and one thing which caught my attention: the box and the unboxing experience itself. It is clear that Hifiman put extra thought and attention to both the packaging and the unboxing experience. The unboxing experience is one remarkable thing which you will not forget about the RE-600s V2, it’s something which is special to them.

There are two sections of the unboxing: the main box and a carrying case. In the main box, which is rather premium, you get your RE-600s V2 earphones, and the ear tips. In the round carrying case, you will find even more ear tips and extra filters. The main box is made of faux leather, it has a metal stripe in the middle. This stripe acts as a magnet which holds down two flaps of the two compartments. You will also find that the model name is etched onto this metal stripe, and “HiFiman” is indented on the bottom flap.

The overall unboxing experience is very premium, meeting the standards of it’s premium price tag. I can definitely say that the unboxing experience would contribute as a great gift to somebody. Presentation 10/10, good job HifiMan!

Accessories -

When Hifiman released the RE-600s with it’s premium price tag, they ensured the customer one thing, and that is the ear tips. There are enough ear tips so everybody can find their preferred one. The ear tips of my choice were the white, oblong ones. The seal and fit is perfect with them for me. You have 11 pairs of ear tips in total to choose which one fits your needs:

3x S Bi-Flange
2x M Bi-Flange
2x S Mono flange
4x Silicon tips

A round carrying case is also included, it is of both function and use. It’s a nice and firm case which will keep your earphones safe when traveling and you will find no struggle to fit the earphones inside it (you can find images of it online, or at the official store from HifiMan).
Inside of it you will find a set of extra filters, 5 pairs if we were to be exact. This ensures longevity of the earphones, in case you lose or damage them, you can always replace them. This is a nice feature, and it is something expected and appreciated at this price point.

Design & build quality - When they said “less is more” they truly were correct.

The design is very simple and minimalist, which contributes to its great build quality. I would consider the RE-600s to be a micro-earphone purely due to it’s small size. While they are small, they have a 8.5 mm driver which features a titanium diaphragm and neodymium magnet. The earphones themselves are of a metal housing and a braided cable. The cable gives me a throwback to 2000’s when the cables were similar to the one featured on the RE-600s, however that is not to mislead you about what hides below the braided material: an upgraded single crystalline copper. The cable is stiff out of the box, but with use it will become more flexible. The cable is non-removable as with many earphones, I didn’t find any problems with it. The 3.5 mm plug is straight, it features a rubberized housing which I found no issues with when taking my phone out of my pocket.

The earphones themselves have a straight, non-angled nozzle which goes inside of the ear perfectly, the nozzle has a lip which ensures that your ear tips stay in place.
Simple design combined with good build quality.

Comfort -

Due to their size, they have great comfort. They give a good seal and fit, I quite enjoy long listening sessions with the RE-600s. I experienced a nice, deep insertion into my ear, and this resulted in a good seal, a very tight seal. I also found out that the RE-600s is perfect when you are laying on your side or sleeping. They didn’t protrude and it is most likely due to their size which resulted in a pleasant experience. When I move around they stay in my ear and don’t fall out, which just concludes that the comfort of these is well executed and overall near-perfect. The small size and light weight greatly contribute to its comfort. The seal I get with the oblong white ear tips is pretty much top notch, I get a full seal with them. Yet another element which HifiMan nailed here.

Functionality and convenience -

RE-600s are a pair of very functional earphones. They are small and easy to travel with, they are very easy to drive, the accessories are functional and of good quality.

Their sonic and sound qualities also make them very versatile, they are perfect for music and movies due to their soundstage characteristics (I will talk about the soundstage in detail in a separate segment). I can also confirm that you can wear it cable down (like normal earphones) or over-ear (like IEM’s), so it gives you the flexibility and choice tho fit your preference. While the RE-600s is a music focused earphone, it performs in other fields well. I found the open and spacious sound to perform well for, as mentioned above: watching movies, the soundstage of them is something which truly stands out.

Sound: Did somebody say mid-range heaven?

Lows-
The low end is very balanced, it definitely won’t give you a headache. This being said, they don’t rumble, and will definitely not be a choice for bassheads, however this is all expected. You have to keep in mind that in order to get more quanitity and quality bass performance, you need a bigger driver. This is the same with speakers, you will never get near to the bass performance of a bigger speaker with a small speaker and driver, that’s simply not how sound works and travels. In order to get more quantity of bass, you need a bigger driver which will move more air molecules. When you have a smaller driver it needs to move more to produce lower frequencies. The mid-bass is well defined, there isn’t a lot of weight and energy in the low end region, and neither do they deliver a strong punch, but I simply enjoyed their low frequencies response because it is balanced with the other frequency ranges. I myself appreciate a nice sub-bass extension, even though the RE-600s don’t rumble, they definitely delivered the sub-frequencies. When I played Hans Zimmer’s “Why so serious?” I was shocked to hear the sub-frequencies at the mark 3:30. This was a segment where I was pretty surprised and impressed, especially considering their size.

Mids-

This is the field which RE-600s shines in. I found myself heavily enjoying various types of music with them. RE-600s are slightly laid back, however they have a very full body sound. I mainly enjoyed listening to tracks where the vocals are more prominent, mainly because of the weight in the vocals that the RE-600s delivers.

The imaging is also one element which truly impressed me, the accuracy of the RE-600s is something which is among the stronger points of it. Listening to tracks of classic music such as Beata Viscera (monophonic conductus) by Perotin and Anthony Pitts, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, various tracks by Lana Del Ray: The Next American Record, 13 Beaches, In My Feeling, Honeymoon, The Blackest Day, Dark Paradise, truly reminded me how much I enjoyed listening to music with them.

I would characterize the sonic performance of the RE-600s as very open, dynamic, and fairly transparent and balanced. I truly found myself enjoying the open and dynamic sound that the RE-600s delivers, it’s very enjoyable and addicting.

Vocals are very enjoyable, you will find out that they deliver the vocals with a lot of energy, they carry their weight pretty well. Besides for vocals, they are great for classical music.

Listening to the latest album “Before Love Came to Kill Us” by Jesse Reyez, I truly noticed the full body of her voice, and I quite enjoyed it with the RE-600s. Or “The Winner Takes It All” by Susan Boyle, it is able to produce the vocal range of Susan, and when she hits her peak, oh does it sing. I myself am passionate about intense vocals, and while Susan’s “The Winner Takes It All” isn’t the most intense, it is still a very beautiful piece where you can hear a very good vocal performance.

Highs-

There is a great amount of clarity in the high frequency range while staying away from being bright. Perhaps they lack the sparkle, but this is due to their slightly laid back and warm sound signature. This being said, there is no feeling that the high end is reduced, however you can feel that it is limited in some particular genres and songs. As I mentioned before the overall sound signature and frequency response from the RE-600s is balanced, and high frequencies are no exception to this.

Travis Scotts “Stop trying to be God” is a good reference for high end, I usually listen for harshness or piercing high end in it. What can be noticed is that the top end is indeed rolled off, the highest top end, so you will not get the sparkle from some stringed instruments or intense vocals. It truly depends on which music you listen to, in some cases you will notice the lack of sparkle, in other cases you will get the exact performance you are expecting. For example, the introduction of “Poison” by Freya Ridings, the piano notes hit with the top end sparkle, the same performance continues throughout the vocals by her.

Soundstage -

I have to say that this is the biggest soundstage I have come across yet, the width, the height, the depth. All very deep and accurate, imaging is very precise. The soundstage of the RE-600s keeps me coming back to it, it’s very appealing. It’s something which sets it apart and makes it unique, I would say that the soundstage alone is the selling point of this earphone.

I have to emphasize how important soundstage is, because it gives a very crucial dimension to music, it gives music depth. Depth is something I’d describe RE-600s with, very deep and open sound. One of the main disadvantages to a narrow soundstage is the enclosed feeling, the sound seems to be constricted and restricted. It takes away the dynamic and life of music, this is why I think the RE-600s sound so good, they have this extra dimension which gives music life.

One of the most spacious earphones I have come across, all coming from a 8.5mm driver. I don’t know about you, but I am very much impressed by this. In fact, I was blown away when I heard the soundstage they were capable of creating.

Let’s take “Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers, a beautiful masterpiece, the soundstage is very accurately presented, with the piano and the cymbal staying far left, and the stringed violin on the far right, with the vocals in the center.

Separation -

With a very spacious soundstage, the RE-600s has outstanding separation. There is a lot of room for instruments to breathe and therefore it results in very accurate and clear separation, and also imaging. Whether it’s in “Where to turn?” by James Litherman, “Smoking Mirrors” by Lee Curtiss, or “Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2” by Pink Floyd, both the separation and imaging is very accurate and easily noticeable.

Conclusion -

RE-600s V2 is a very well rounded off earphone, it completely surprised me with it’s performance. With 3 years after its release, you will probably find them with a good discount, and they are definitely not to be ignored. One thing which I can tell for certain is that I greatly enjoy them, their small size and their comfort. Whether it’s the transparent and balanced sound signature, their clarity, the soundstage, it’s all a very well rounded off package. Considering their size and overall sound performance, I can recommend them, and they are very suitable for a present with their packaging. One of the things you learn to appreciate with an audio device which doesn’t have emphasis on low frequencies, are the vocals. What else will you focus on if it’s not the bass? The mid range, and that’s what I believe the RE-600s are the best at. Especially considering that they are very spacious, which makes vocals and overall mid range beyond just pleasing for listening. RE-600s is an easy recommendation, it’s an earphone I believe everyone should try out.

5 Likes

KB EAR, or KBEAR as many call it, is a quickly growing Chinese company which specializes in In Ear Monitors. Whether you are a new-comer to the IEM market or a close follower, KBEAR Diamond should ring a bell. A single dynamic driver, to be exact, an 8.5 mm driver with a Diamond-Like-Carbon (DLC) coated diaphragm. But does it shine bright like a diamond?

An interesting thing about single dynamic driver IEM’s is that they can very well outperform a hybrid with multiple drivers. This comes at no surprise, because quantity never equaled quality. This is the case with the KBEAR Diamond, a very well polished product.

The more I get familiar with the company, the more I fall in love with what they are doing. To be quite honest with you, I am very excited to see what KBEAR has got for us in the future, because they are pretty impressive. Looking at the ever so growing Chinese market, there are way too many garbage products. This can be a common result of mass production, and when there is little attention to the product itself. Mass production is a logical strategy, and it works, you work in quantity within the margin of it being profitable. This often results in poor performance, and bad quality and accessories. KBEAR is one of the companies which I can see are taking what they do very seriously. From the packaging to the accessories, the Diamond is very well put together.

I was sent KBEAR Diamond free of charge by AK Audio store. I was required to write an honest review and not overstate the advantages. Everything said in this review is my opinion and how I feel about the Diamond. My opinion may have been influenced because I was required to put out the review in a certain time frame.

Unboxing experience -

When I received the Diamond, the first thing which popped up in my head was “Hm that’s a very nice box”. Now, of course we will not judge a book by its cover, nor will we judge the Diamond by its packaging, but I have to say that it feels like what you would get in your local tech store, like an official product. It doesn’t feel like a low quality Chinese product. One of the things which I have a problem with, is that many people associate China or Chi-Fi with something of lower quality, and that just isn’t right. Chinese Hi-Fi is getting quite serious, even though it has been serious for a long time already, I think that slowly but surely the Chinese Hi-Fi market, at least IEM market, is spreading towards the average people. More attention and recognition is being attracted, which is a good thing, as far as people learn to appreciate it.

Back onto track; I was very pleased to be met with a nice, firm and good quality box which had nice departments. I like how the foam tips are separated from the rest. Overall a hassle-free unboxing experience, exactly what you would want. It’s very interesting to see that KBEAR is neither cheating out on the packaging, nor the sound quality and overall quality of their products, that is one thing which caught my attention. Whether you are aware of it or not, packaging does cost, and depending on your connections and knowledge that cost can vary a lot, that’s why you see bad packaging a lot. It’s very embarrassing, because there are so many products with bad packaging… but also bad product performance and quality too. So I am very happy to see a product and company which doesn’t fall into that category. It’s a very pleasant presentation, and I like what KBEAR is doing.

Smell -

Yes, you read it right. Before you go on to think that I’m insane for mentioning the smell, take a deep breath and let me explain. I think it’s a fun little thing to mention, because it’s always overlooked… not that it needs to be payed attention to, but I thought I’d mention it. There is no foul smell, and I always appreciate that. Sometimes, and we will not mention any names, the product smells horrific, and it ruins the overall experience. I don’t know about you, but I personally cannot stand when a horrible smell hits me when opening a new product. KBEAR didn’t even have a bad smell… so all and all - Very good job KBEAR! We need to find an aspect which KBEAR didn’t get right…

What’s in the box -

Many fail to include at least alright accessories, and I was very happy to finally see a practical carrying case alongside with normal accessories. It’s not as though it’s an innovation, but a very practical accessory. I personally hate pouches, and they are unfortunately the most common. Foam tips are very much appreciated at this price point, and they were my choice of preference. The carrying case is firm and sturdy, it’s very convenient and I would go as far as to say that it’s perfect.
Of course we will not forget the little guy: the cable tie. It’s a standard cable tie which has KBEAR branding on it.

Let’s put the accessories in a formal format:

1x S/M/L wide bore tips
1x S/M/L silicone tips (it feels more like XXS/S/L, yes you read this correctly)
2x foam tips
1x Velcro cable tie
1x Faux leather hard carrying case
1x 8-core silver plated copper cable (0.78mm 2-pin)

Design - Daniel Arsham, is this you?

If the “sage green” was just a couple of shades lighter, these would be the exact representation of how Daniel Arsham’s in ear monitors would look like. I seriously love the design and overall color choice for the Diamond, it might be one of the most elegant and vintage pair of IEM’s I have come across yet. Their color palette is iconic, much like the one of Sennheiser HD 598. I would definitely want to see another pair of IEM’s with this color scheme (KBEAR take notes!), because it is well put together.

You may think that the drivers are larger judging by the size of the shells, however if you had a Hifiman RE-600s in your hands, you would know how small the driver actually is. Speaking of the shells, they feature a gold-plated copper nozzle which sits at an angle. I do have to admit that the shiny “gold-plated cooper nozzle” is VERY sexy. You know what else is sexy? That carbon fiber faceplate which sits under an epoxy-like layer. On the faceplate there is a KBEAR logo in a gold finish to match the nozzle.
I also appreciate that KBEAR made the decision to put use subtle branding on both the housing of the 3.5mm connector and the Y-splitter.

KBEAR didn’t have any intention to stop doing a great job… so they included a good cable. The 8-core silver plated copper cable is of high flexibility, and of high quality. Everything about the cable is good: highly flexible, pre-formed ear hooks which are also very flexible, metal housing for the 3.5mm connector, metal housing for 2-pin connectors, metal housing for the Y-splitter, metal chin slider… Speaking of the chin slider, another little guy which is overlooked. I will take the time to appreciate it and state what is good, and chin slider should be of no excuse. This is the best chin slider I have come across yet, and I hope KBEAR keeps using it. It has a hole for both “strands” of the cable, and there is a thin plastic which separates them. Usually the chin slider is a single ring which you just slide, and here it’s different, and it stays put in the place where you put it… it won’t go anywhere unless you put force.

Diamond has two vents: a single vent located on the bottom side of the shell, and another vent on the nozzle.

Build quality - Built like a tank

By now everything about the Diamond has been good, and you might think that KBEAR might have messed up at least in one field. Well… no, it isn’t build quality, because KBEAR nailed it. I swear I am not sugar-coating anything, you simply cannot deny that they are well built. With a metal shell and metal parts on the cable, you cannot say they aren’t of good built quality. Let’s be nit-picky and go beyond our way to find something to “complain” about… the faceplate isn’t perfectly sitting underneath the epoxy-like top layer, that’s as far as we can go to find something negative… a damn faceplate.

Comfort -

If there is one thing which you need to know about me, it’s that comfort is the single most important aspect to me. When something is in your ears, there is no tolerance for bad comfort. Even if a product has good sound performance, if the comfort and fit is bad… I cannot use it. I am very strict when it comes to comfort, and Diamond is no exception to that.

The comfort was good, but the fit isn’t ideal. I couldn’t find myself using any of the silicone tips, and the only solution were the foam tips… and even with them I didn’t find the seal and fit to be ideal, which didn’t quite make it a solution. This means that to get the ideal fit, you probably need to do some tiprolling. Another thing which you should know about me is that I am not about tip rolling. The reason behind it is simple: I believe that it’s manufacturer’s job to make their product satisfy the majority. If I, as a consumer, I need to go and search for tips (or cables) to make the product do what it needed to do in the first place, then I don’t believe it’s an easy recommendation, especially because not everybody know what to search for, or where to search for.

Now, this wasn’t very horrific with the Diamond, as though I did find them quite comfortable with the foam tips, it’s just that the seal wasn’t as tight and was a bit loose.

This being said, I will clearly state that they do not have bad comfort, it’s just a field where KBEAR could put more focus on and play around. For example, KBEAR TRI i3 has to be one of the most comfortable IEM’s which I have tried… and I formed this opinion only based on the 20 minutes which I spent with them. My advice to the manufacturer, continue doing what the TRI i3 is doing and implement that in your future models.

Sound -

Lows-
The low range is the better part of the Diamond. The combination of good weight and good punch is what result in a good performance. The Diamond can very well keep up with a track like “Smoking Mirrors” from Lee Curtiss, while not the busiest or the fastest track, I do like the general pace of it. There is a very good amount of body to the bass, and there is a tight punch, which set the rhythm of the track right. Oh… and “Hydrogen” M|O|O|N (or M.O.O.N), damn is that a beatiful performance, seriously packing a punch, it delivers the weight of the bass very well. While the Diamond does have a reasonable sub-bass extension, it fails to rumble, and that can be noticed in tracks like “Why so Serious?” by Hans Zimmer. In similar fashion, I found mid-bass to be generally lacking definition. But as a whole, the low range performance is pretty good.

Mids-
One of the first things I noticed is that the vocals do not sound natural or too pleasant, and that is expected with a V shape sound signature. Being a person who primarily listens to vocal focused and vocally intense music, this is one aspect which stood out to me. However I cannot deny that they have a natural timbre when it comes to instruments, this lives up to KBEAR’s marketing of the Diamond having a natural timbre. I felt like I am missing something out, everybody loves the Diamond and usually praises its mid range performance, so it feels a bit vulnerable to say what I am about to say, but I never fell under the influence of clichés and masses opinions. I already said that I mainly listen to music which is heavily focused on vocals, and I will say that the KBEAR Diamond portrays vocals in a shouty and tinny (definition: sounds like music is coming through a telephone or a tin can). Not a particularly vocally intense track, but this is the track in which I came to realize this: Lana del Rey - Off To The Races.
My goal is to state what I hear without falling for the illusion just so my opinion or experience matches to the one of the masses. Everyone hears differently and this is what I heard, and therefore I will mention it. That’s the whole concept and purpose of reviews, so you know what other people experience… but you will never be able to use anybodies opinion for yourself, sound is a personal subject, and you can follow or trust somebodies opinion/reviews if you found out that it matches to your perception, and that you and that person share the same observations, but that’s about it.

This sound characteristics makes them not so ideal for vocally focused music, and if you decide to listen to quite vocally intense music for longer periods of time, they can come off as fatiguing because the upper mid-range is boosted, that’s exactly what the terms shouty and tinny mean. And fatigue is an expected characteristic of tinny and shouty sound performance.

Highs-
Top end would be perfect if the mids weren’t tinny. The Diamond is able to reach the peaks and give the sparkle which is always appreciated, if this top range performance was combined with a good mid range, then it would significantly contribute to vocals. As always, “Stop Trying to Be God” by Travis Scott, my preferred reference track for hitting the peak of Stevie Wonder’s harmonica at mark 5:19, and the Diamond certainly did not disappoint and was able to produce the peak notes. However due to the fact that the mid range is tinny, the highs do sound overemphasized and can sound pretty steely, this overall creates fatigue if played at moderate-to-loud levels.

Soundstage -
While definitely not the most spacious and open, the Diamond does have an above average soundstage, and you can’t deny it. While imaging isn’t the most accurate and precise, I did find the extra space pleasing.

Separation -
I found separation to be quite lacking. Let’s clarify and explain what separation means, or at least what I am referring to. Separation is referencing to the ability to distinguish different sounds and frequencies, if separation is bad then some frequencies will get lost because they will get mushed together with the others… this leaves to an overall muddy-like performance because you lose the ability to hear certain elements in music, you lose detail. That’s exactly what happens with the Diamond, while I continued to listen to Lana del Rey’s “Born To Die” album, when I came to the track “Dark Paradise”, there is a very subtle snare, this snare can be heard but it is quite muddy and lacks definition. It’s hard to hear it and it sounds very flat, that’s why it gets lost with the other frequencies dominating over it.

Conclusion -

KBEAR’s Diamond is certainly an interesting IEM, not quite my cup of tea because my music taste is mainly within vocally present tracks. I do believe that KBEAR is going in the correct direction. With getting some correct tuning in mind, I think it will be able to make some serious progress. Diamond is one of my favorite IEM’s when it comes to it’s design, I would go as far to call it iconic. I wish that the separation was much better, and that the mid range was clearer and not recessed, this would take advantage of the soundstage which is has… otherwise that extra space from the soundstage is taken for granted because muddy and not well defined sound performance take up most of that space.
Going beyond my personal preference in terms of music, I can say that I will recommend the KBEAR Diamond to people who listen to electronic music, whether it’s techno or rave, or just not vocally intense and present music genre, I believe that the Diamond is a very well polished choice which gets most things right. As a single dynamic driver, it has a very good bass performance which I appreciate, and so should you.

As a reviewer there is certain bias, if you like a certain genre and the product doesn’t perform well in it, you will naturally have bitter feelings about it. However I have to keep in mind that other people may enjoy a product, like the KBEAR Diamond, which is a excellent product, and I believe it wasn’t made to be focused on the mid range and vocals, but rather implement a sharp V-shape sound signature.

**Those are my three latest reviews, hope it serves a good read! Didn’t intend it to be spam, I just finished them and forgot to post them here… so yeah. **

However if there is any issue, I won’t have anything against removing them, so please let me know :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks. For me, a very helpful format and I appreciate your balanced look at the Diamond.

1 Like

I am very happy to hear that you liked the format! I greatly appreciate your support.

Thanks Brian =)