Topping D90 DAC - Official Thread

Cool thanks Andrew, I already have a pretty sterile and dry desktop THX amp so I would be looking at exchanging the sterile, audio dropping DAC for maybe something that sounds a bit smoother and doesn’t drop the audio during audio quality changes, which is why I thought maybe the D90 or D70 could replace the SMSLSU8 as the company I bought it from carries it and may be willing to exchange it. Hard to know without hearing it first though maybe @angstorms can confirm if there is any audible drop while listening via Qobuz when track quality changes.

2 Likes

I think one of the best “low distortion, sterile, neutral” dac’s is the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA.

I’ve seen at least two members here whos opinions I highly respect refer to it as likely the best implementation of an ESS chipset.

There’s been one in the Community Preview Program in the past, if I remember correctly.

4 Likes

Sorry I was flying yesterday, I do not have audio Drops with Qobuz and D90

2 Likes

No worries thank you

I’d rate the Matrix X-Sabre Pro MQA as the best-sounding ESS-based DAC I’ve heard. And that includes when it is put up against things like the Merging NADAC. The Element:X is audibly indistinguishable from the X-Sabre Pro MQA as a DAC.

Perhaps more notably, if I drew up a list of my “Top 10” favorite DACs - it’s the only ESS-based unit that might qualify.

As for the D90/AKM4499 - I don’t think I’ve ever heard an AKM-based DAC that I would really describe as sterile (which is not to say there aren’t some turds based on the 449X stuff) - at least not in the same way as I mean it when that term comes up with the Sabre stuff (which I usually further qualify anyway in a proper evaluation).

And then regarding dropouts with the D90 during rate/format changes … I’ve not experienced that. It’s an early test I do when a new DAC comes in as part of evaluating functionality (which I usually do during a warm-up/burn-in phase).

7 Likes

Thank you @Torq I am trying to figure out what I should do, I know I want to part ways with the harsh sounding SMSL SU8 and don’t want to inadvertently get something else that sounds harsh or sterile so this is helpful.

2 Likes

The Matrix X-Sabre is the one I covet… :laughing:

2 Likes

@ValentineLuke I love the Bifrost LYR synergy so far, I just know I need something not so harsh sounding for my SMSL SP200THX and not dropping audio would be nice too, lol. I need to do some reading on the D90 vs the D70, too. I checked out the Matrix X-Sabre last night after you posted about it!

2 Likes

I moved from THX amp to ECP T4 tube amp

10 Likes

Very nice amp!!

Alex

2 Likes

Nice. @ProfFalkin mentioned this amp manufacturer in another thread, and prior to that I had never heard of them.

Looking forward to your impressions.

1 Like

I think I’m going to try this DAC “D90” out as it’s an AKM chip and I am told by the company that is doing an outside return policy exchange for me on My smsl SU8 to be nice that the D90 has the best most nuanced smoother delivery between the D70 or SU8.

They don’t carry RME or many of the other brands, since Ian @Torq thinks this should be fairly indistinguishable from the RME and I have a return credit, it seems to make the most sense as I trust his judgement 100%. It sounds like the AKM chips are pretty well enjoyed by most people and the technology is good and I don’t do MQA. I am hopping this gives me a smoother while still detailed presentation vs the SU8. :crossed_fingers:. They do carry the Matrix @ValentineLuke but that’s way too expensive for me at this time lol!

5 Likes

ECP Audio T4 Build by Beezar Audio

3 Likes

Funny that I liked the thread linked and a few posts in that thread, but I have no recollection… :thinking:

Having had a few concussions growing up is apparently revealing itself in an annoying way as I get older. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Perhaps this has more to do with it than the concussions? It has for me.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s a combination.

Aside from being hard on my body through physical activity, I’ve generally taken really good care of myself.

Starting about five years ago my health went south. Those activities came to collect. :laughing:

4 Likes

This thread just popped out when I’m doing a research for my next DAC lol. I have a feeling this is probably what I’m going to end up with. I’m still going to try Bitfrost 2 first since it has the look to match my LYR 3 and it’s made by Californians :kissing_heart: but between the increased latency due to its oversampling (for gaming) and the other already “warm” components in my chain, I’m afraid I’m going to end up with a hot mess. I’m glad there’s another DAC with the same price and different set features to compare BF2 with. Good read guys, thanks!

2 Likes

I just use the Schiit Hel as my go to gaming amp/DAC combo unit for PC Gaming

1 Like

I used something similar for gaming before. It’s the Burson Audio Play with Mod Mic 5 but I didn’t know that additional mic cable along with the small clips can be cumbersome after some time. Removing and re-installing them when I want to try different headphones sucks so I went with the Mod Mic wireless. Moving the mic across different headphones is a breeze now. Yes I know, such a sacrilege just to imagine the base clap attached on a beautiful Verite… :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Always a good thing! My kids were made by Californians, too!

Please let us know what your comparisons are to the Bifrost 2. That’s on my shortlist also.

5 Likes