Topping D70 DAC - Official Thread

This is the official spot to discuss the Topping D70 DAC

6 Likes

Anyone have this and the DX7 to compare/contrast? Curious the differences

1 Like

I used to have this unit before my current RME Adi 2 DAC. It sounded very good for the price and was definitely a step up from the other DACs Iā€™ve tried in the past. The form factor is also very nice. Good size and weight to it. The remote control also feels solid and works well.

At around 400 usd, I think itā€™s a good value and is at the sweet spot for many people. Would recommend !

5 Likes

After an extensive selection process, I selected the Topping D70 for my computer listening station. The computer is newly constructed. It is built around an Asus Z390 board with an Intel I9-9900K. It was designed to be an entertainment system with an emphasis on music.
At the output is a Larocco Headcode Dual Mono solid state headphone amp. I have a pretty wide array of headphones. MDR-R10. Audio Technica W500, W2002, L3000, A990Z. Grado GS1000E and RS1. New is a Focal Eligia .
Due to the technical prowess of the D70, I selected this device. It was recieved last Friday. I plan on a complete review. So far, I am very impressed. Check back for detailed impressions, photos, technical discussions.

5 Likes

Great stuff I look forward to your thoughts on it.

9900Kā€¦ thatā€™s a lot of beef for music; you a gamer too?

2 Likes

Any impressions from owners of the Topping D70 vs others DACS @Bigcat39 ?

Yes, I have one that connects to my computerā€™s audio out then to a tube buffer before connecting it to the preamp. I have used it both ways with and without the tube buffer. The tube buffer is much better with the tube buffer inline. Iā€™m not using it for the headphone aspect but playback and now love it. The tube buffer gave it the volume and overall warmer sound quality it was lacking without

2 Likes

How do you connect a MacBook Pro?

This looks right. The message, ā€œThe selected device has no output controlsā€ means simply that you cannot change the output volume or adjust the left/right balance via your Mac. (e.g. you canā€™t use the volume up or down keys on your keyboard to change the volume).

Instead, youā€™ll adjust volume either through the amplifier or through your music playback software.

Is the speaker icon on your menu bar (at the top of your screen) greyed out? If so, it means that the DAC is connected.

Finally, check that your music playback software is connected to the DAC. I use Audirvana as well as Qobuz. You have to select your output device with both. I find I sometimes have to select my DAC over again after Iā€™ve closed my laptop and reopened it.

I hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thank you! That fixed the issue.

BTW: Along the way of other answers, that didnā€™t help, I came across a music player for the Mac namen Roon. Is that one familiar? (And is it good?)

Iā€™m glad my suggestion solved your problem!

Roon is a popular music player, and not just among those using Macs or Apple devices. You can pay for it by monthly subscription or by purchasing a lifetime license. (I shall refrain from commenting on the value of the lifetime license as Iā€™ve not used Roon myself). You can also see what itā€™s like with a free trial.

There are many advantages to using Roon. It can be used quite simply, with it just installed on your Mac, with the Mac then connected to your D70 DAC, and your amp and headphones. But it can also connect to other devices, including network storage devices and streamers, and it has integration with music services like Tidal and Qobuz. See here:

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks

Here are some threads about it on this forum that might help you learn more:

3 Likes