Warranty? On a cable?

I had an Audioquest Cinnamon 1.5m Lightning USB cable become non-conductive of electricity a day or two ago. It’s just 2 years old, and I keep it plugged in to a connector in the center console of my Infiniti. It’s protected on that end, rarely moved. The lightning end goes into my iPhone most of the time when I drive.

As the car is a noisy place (relatively speaking) I thought that a $85 cable was way more than enough to spend in that application. I was really looking for hassle-free quality.

Anybody know if Audioquest will stand by their cable? I can’t find any warranty info about cables on their website. I shot off (you were waiting for me to say “my mouth”) an email to their rep.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have had bad experience with their usb cables. I just called it a loss and didn’t bother, tbh I don’t see why they wouldn’t honor their warranty.

1 Like

Curiously, I see that they have product registration and warranty on their DACs and other electronic products. I don’t see a word about warranty on their cables, even very costly ones. I’ll probably order a Pangea - I’ve been using them for a while and they seem reliable. If I want to spend stupid money there are the Furutech ones, for about $125 for a meter.

1 Like

That sucks. For the price they better replace it no questions asked.

I have some cheap cables that got run over multiple times by office chairs or casters and are still working fine.
My favourite are this type of cable as you can see when the shield is falling apart.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t have any issues getting warranty through them as long as you bought from an authorized dealer.

They might be a little slow to get back due to staff shortages from COVID but they are usually pretty good at getting back the same day during business hours.

3 Likes

Thanks, Taron. Yes, I bought from an authorized dealer. At least that’s what they advertised, and I have a record of the transaction. The cable looks pristine. A few months later, and I would have bought from you, but in January of 2018, you weren’t yet on my radar.

2 Likes

Cars are indeed noisy and all that movement is tough on equipment. So, I use $8 random cables until they crack and stop working. No matter the vendor, metal will work-harden and become brittle with repeated bending. I wouldn’t blame AudioQuest or anyone else for that. However, at $85 it should deliver something more than $8 of value.

2 Likes

About five years ago, I sent an old pair of Opals (ICs) back to AQ for repair (flakey RCA plug/vintage 1990s). They fixed them no problem and I didn’t have any paperwork for them. Contact them and request an RMA for repair.

1 Like

This is nice to know. I have one usb cable and a rca cable that require attention. Ill give them a try.

I wasn’t sure if mine would be an issue since I picked them up used and didn’t have a receipt. They fixed em no problem…probably around 2014 or 2015. Might have been even earlier than that.

I’ve been buying mostly Cardas cables lately. I buy most of them used, have them recertified, and they carry a lifetime repair warranty. Recertification/inspection is $25. I have a long headphone cable up there right now being cut into two cables, and reterminated. Instead of a 4.5m cable, I’ll have two 2.25m cables. Done that with extension headphone cables too. Cardas is great to work with.

2 Likes

They did send me the RMA request form. It’s sent to them. I’m encouraged that they are being responsive.

3 Likes