What are you upgrading?

Me too …

Though I wound up buying a used unit from a super-nice chap on HF … dealers were STILL getting the run-around on when black units were going to show up …

Color me bad for having no patience for that sort of thing!

2 Likes

So I’m planning on upgrading my dac. I currently used the built in TI dac in my Bluesound Node 2i, which is also my music source.

I had originally planned on the RME, but after some advice, great information, and this review found on its thread:

…I decided on the Schiit Bifrost 2.

I’m hoping for a late February purchase. After that I’ll be looking at an amp to replace my Rupert Neve RNHP, specifically the Phonitor XE. In red. :heart_eyes:

Also working on a Lawton mod, but that’s not so much of an upgrade as it’s more of a fun project.

6 Likes

Looking at building a dedicated setup for listening next to my stressless chair. For me I think the LYR3 and Bifrost2. I will keep running my desktop setup for the time being, and have my portable solutions ready to go.

2 Likes

I will upgrade from my Sennheiser 660s to HD 600
I thought it would be a good idea to switch from the 600 to the 660s as it came out

3 Likes

Not the HD650?

I don’t own any Sennheiser headphones but I’ve been told that I should own an HD650 as a general reference.

The HD6XX is relatively inexpensive from Drop.

The HD650 is bass heavy/warm. The HD600 is neutral. I own the HD600 as a standard reference. Tyll of the “Wall of Fame” replaced the 650 with the 600 too:

4 Likes

They are both very good, and I would agree the 600 is more neutral if you are looking for an outstanding “reference” headphone.

If your preferences and musical tastes lean you more toward resolving treble and a more linear sound, the HD600 is what I would suggest. Classical, jazz, stuff of that sort. If you like a bit more flavor in the mid-range, like with ZMF’s house sound, I think the HD650 would be more to your liking. Blues, rock, metal, and even acoustic guitar and vocals get center stage on the hd650.

I wouldn’t call the hd650 bass heavy though, considering the bass levels of other headphones on the market at or well above the price point - it’s warmer than neutral, but not heavy.

They are both distinctly Sennheiser 6 series headphones, and more similar than not. There is no way that you could confuse their sound with that of a Focal, for example.

6 Likes

I recently swapped my HD600 ear pads and used them with the THX AAA 789 (balanced cable). I was stunned by the depth and clarity of the bass – they scale and scale and scale. On a weak amp they are thin. Given a strong amp, I’m happy with them for any genre.

4 Likes

I had no good AMP with the 600s. Just the hf out of my 7.1 reciever. As I changed to the 660 and the DT1990 Pro, I bought a SMSL M6 DAC/Amp, which is still in use as DAC to the Reciever in a 2.1 setup. My wife uses the hf out rarely with her 58x at the desk while working remote every day. Later I listened often to both, the 600/650 at stores with good solid state and tube amps. The 600 is more my cup of tee.

2 Likes

From the comments I’m gathering that the Sennheiser HD6– series have pretty fantastic drivers that differ slightly depending upon which model.

Both sound good (descriptively) to me. :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

So what am I upgrading? Spouseling wants to have Airplay connectivity to SONOS at the Lancaster house also. My Sonos setup there is older - Connect, Play 3s, sub, Play 1s. So I was thinking about a One SL or two when I got an end-of-life notice from SONOS on the connect. I won’t be able to leave it in the system after May, or the who system does not get updates.

So if I let them “recycle” i.e. brick, a perfectly good component, I get a 30% discount on an opportunity to buy their new PORT replacement for the Connnect. The PORT as a “better” undisclosed but not better than redbook DAC, and lacks that pesky optical out. It’s also half the height of the Connect. It does have Airplay 2. So it’s a pig in a poke with Airplay lipstick.

I can’t gift my old connect, or sell it on ebay. Today I got email from SONOS CEO Patrick “no-reply” Spence:

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work just as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Well we’ll see. Wyred4Sound is working on an upgrade mod for the Port also.
To ensure domestic tranquility, that may be my next upgrade, :frowning:

4 Likes

If you’re open to another format, I really enjoy my Bluesound Node 2i.

The BluOS software is easy to use and regularly updated.

1 Like

Kind of invested in Sonos. At this (Lancaster house) I have 2 Play:3 and a Sub in my computer/headphone listening room, a Connect on my main stereo, and a Play:1 in the kitchen. At the State College place, there are 2 Play:5 (new model) and 2 Play:1s

If I were to start now, I’d consider Bluesound, but Sonos’ small speaker sound really good for their form factor.

2 Likes

The technology ‘rental’ model is beyond invasive and must die. You don’t actually own many products, and must consent to umpteen personal disclosures too merely use them.

I received a Google Home as a gift 2-3 years ago and liked it well enough…and then it started telling me about its new features and it. would. not. shut. up. So, I disconnected it and haven’t used it since.

Vinyl came back in part because of its easily comprehended visible technology and interaction. I’m waiting for the new-Luddites to smash things. I’m waiting for the new-Amish to arise.

Upgrade to freedom and ownership. We are all at risk from the techno-autocrats.

1 Like

Interesting law around some of this. According to Amazon, you don’t actually “own” books that you buy for Kindle. It’s supposed to be a license to read the books. Not talking about the rental libraries. They do not explain this when you click “BUY” on your Kindle.

The terms of use are stated in the “Kindle Terms of Use” which refer to Kindle Content.

However, Kindle Content may or may not have embeded digital rights management, and there are plenty of non-kindle software readers that are able to read Kindle content.

The above notwithstanding, Kindle books don’t necessarily die when you do. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/opinion/where-do-e-books-go-when-you-do.html

This had been a hot issue in publishing, as when you buy a physical book, it is yours to read, lend, resell, gift or bequeath. It’s still a fairly warm issue.

@Torq - you probably want to move this or duplicate it somewhere. Off Topic? IDK

3 Likes

@ProfFalkin would you say the 600’s are closer to the 58X Jubilee Sound from Drop or are the 6XX/650’s closer in sound to the 600?

1 Like

Those look pretty cool @ValentineLuke one of those is on my one day list!

1 Like

I haven’t heard the jubilee. I couldn’t say.

1 Like

I haven’t heard the 600 yet but it’s a headphone that everyone seems to agree is pretty great. I preferred the 6XX over the 58X, if memory serves me correctly. What I appreciated was the mids and vocals of the 6XX over the slightly more bass and brighter more energetic sounding 58X Jubilee. I didn’t want to keep both so I parted with the 58X. Come to think of it, I parted with all my Sennheiser headphones, and only the 6XX remain.

4 Likes

By deductive reasoning from @MRHifiReviews post…

If the 650 has warmer mids than the 600, and the Jubilee has more bass and treble than the 650, then the 600 has a decent amount less bass than the Jubilee, more linear across the board from bass to upper mids, and probably less treble quantity.

The 600, perceptually and IMO, is pretty flat across the freq spectrum with a bit of roll off at the extreme ends of bass and treble. While I appreciate the sound and capability of the 600, I prefer the 650 for music listening due to the mids bringing more “musicality”. I often found the 600 boring if not driven to TOTL levels.

Both the 650 and 600 scale extremely well, and don’t sound phenomenal driven from crap. From my ZDS, it has bass approaching Auteur levels, but seems veiled from less capable amps.

5 Likes