What headphones do you have in your collection and why?

You carried all that while walking the dog??

2 Likes

sorry for my bad(german)english
I still canā€™t find the mistake you are referring to

No first the walk with the dog

After it I took a seat and told my wife to not do things
to interrupt me and I will be ready in time to meet our friends
turned on the stack and counted down from 10
Before I started Brothers in arms and was in the tunnel

3 Likes

Thatā€™s visual reminds me of the Japanese ā€œaudiophileā€ with the crazy portable stack. :laughing:

3 Likes

I was just joking Martin, there is no mistake and your English is perfect. Mein deutsch ist ein witz!

3 Likes

Thank you I was already asking and showing around what I wrote- do my best and edit multiple times afterwards

if your german is a joke, my spanish(6months many years back) is a fart pillow worth

3 Likes

:rofl:

Whoopee cushion (?).

Also, your English is good. I like the little differences in the way you convey things.

3 Likes

This is the extent of my German - I can almost read this sign I recall from when I thought I was a techie. It was on an old computer console.

ACHTUNG
ALLES TOURISTEN UND NON-TECHNISCHECHEN LOOKENS PEEPERS.

Das machine control is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben, oderwise is easy schnappen der spriggenwork, blownfuse und poppencorken mit spitzenshparken.

DAS MACHINE IST FUR geverken by DER EXPERTEN ONLY, IS NICHT FUR geverken by DAS DUMKOPFEN.

Der sightseenin touristen KEEPIN DER cottenpicken HANDS IN DER POCKETS.

SO RELAXen UND WATCHEN DER BLINKENLIGHTS.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s just Spanglishā€¦ :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey David

you did ehh well :flushed:

a waitress at the Oktoberfest would serve you a chicken and a 1liter beer- only to stop you from further attempts

The google translated user guides are awesome!
As If you had a photographic memory - this text really could be printed on something our lives depend upon

5 Likes

After a few years, Iā€™m now at the point in this hobby where I probably ought to define more rigorously and precisely the ā€œwhyā€ of my headphone collection. This thread has been helpful in this, thank you everyone (and watching @Torq thin his herd has been instructive). The issue is that Iā€™ve got 6 headphones now and their qualities and purposes are beginning to overlap a bit.

For (semi) closed-back headphones I have the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00, which I also chose for their fun, v-shaped signature. I pair them with my Massdrop RDAC and MCTH amplifier. Theyā€™re great for electronic and alternative music (and, surprisingly, theyā€™re enjoyable for small ensemble jazz insofar as they highlight the double bass so well). Hereā€™s where things begin to get a bit confused:

HD 800 (out of an EC ZDT Jr amp). I love these for critical listening, for their wide, open and airy soundstage, and for their speed and resolving qualities. For the most part, I listen to them for classical music, especially orchestral works, and for music performed on acoustic instruments (as with so many of you on this thread). They occasionally and surprisingly make for a good option for alternative rock, bright though they are. (Mogwaiā€™s New Paths To Helicon, Pt I, on the Government Commissions album, has that magnificent blast of expansive, room-filling guitar midway through the song that the HD 800 present so spaciously). Iā€™m clearly a fan of bright headphones, then.

LCD2-C (via Magni 3): these I want to love for rock and electronic music; Iā€™ve not had them long (I got them b-stock last Thanksgiving); Iā€™m keen on them for giving electric guitars proper bite and crunch, as well as for the headphoneā€™s bass texture and quality. Their low distortion appeals, as does the fact that theyā€™re my only pair of planar headphones, thereby offering a bit of variation (and supposedly fast transients). Mainly, though, Iā€™d wanted them to see how well Iā€™d get along with a darker sound signature. I figured theyā€™d work well for lower quality recordings. The juryā€™s still out on them, though, since Iā€™m not sure theyā€™re all that dark (in spite of some online impressions), and I think theyā€™re warm instead, which brings me to my HD 6XXā€¦

HD 6XX: these have been my go-to, workhorse all-rounders for a couple of years now. I quite like the warm signature (whereas I donā€™t with the Aeons), and the mid-bass hump does not bother me all that much. Itā€™s the slightly muffled, hazy congested sound that gets to me - and I say that after being amazed at how well they scaled and opened up with the ZDT Jr. Percussion is so much more clean and clear with this amp, and the HD 6XX now slam astonishingly well. Iā€™m not sure the LCD2-C are superior to them.

Hereā€™s where things get really tricky, though: I recently purchased an excellent, used pair of Focal Clear, and while my love of them is fully in the honeymoon phase (playing them out of my MCTH), my initial sense is that they work very well as high-end all-rounders while being superior to the HD 6XX. Theyā€™re also a marked step up from the LCD2-C in terms of speed and clarity, and I prefer the bass on them (less so electric guitars, though). In fact, I could probably be happy with the bass of the Clear over the TH-X00 (theyā€™re almost as dynamic and punchy, I think).

What all this means, then, is that perhaps itā€™s time for some culling. But what to sell, and how far do I go? I could see myself selling everything but the Clear and the HD 800 and putting the funds towards future upgrades. But Iā€™m not sure I know my preferences well enough yet to do this. I ought to listen to the ZMF VĆ©ritĆ© a bit more as that sounded darker than the LCD2-C and yet as resolving as the HD 800 or the Clear. Any suggestions?! And my apologies, I didnā€™t mean for this post to get so long.

13 Likes

Nice impressions.

I say if you can afford to, keep the 6XX for sure as itā€™s a great ā€œstandard referenceā€ headphone.

You could even mod your Fostex for fun.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply - yes, it would be hard to say goodbye to the 6XX, and not just because of their price-to-performance ratio. Selling them would feel almost morally wrong given the pleasure theyā€™ve provided. Theyā€™ve also been invaluable in showing how amplifiers and DACs affect their sound. And they do serve as that great, universal point of reference, as you note. Iā€™m sure selling them would be source of regret, much like losing touch with old friends.

Thanks also for sharing the link to your Lawton Mod thread. The Marbled East Indian Rosewood is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing your progress with the project! On paper, I like the idea of modding. In reality, I suspect Iā€™d botch it. Then again, the potential for modding is another good reason to keep the 6XX aroundā€¦

3 Likes

Haha, for sure keep the 6XX.

I actually spoke with Mark Lawton today via email. My cups should ship late next week. Iā€™ll definitely post picks. Iā€™ll do a pictured post of the mod. Kind of like a how-to, or more accurately, how-Iā€¦

Cheers.

3 Likes

That would be great, I look forward to seeing the pics. There was a guy on Head-Fi who went by fjrabon a few years ago who had a Fostex Lawton mod project, with ebony cups, I believe, and he had a good many valuable posts that might be of interest to you.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ll check it out.

1 Like

They are just fantastic!!
I have ordered mine with Rose Gold, so great to see African Blacwood with another type grille and rods. Very nice choice.
Did you order the wooden box seperately?

Noā€¦it was kind of package deal.

What wood will yours be? Speaking of rose gold, the various non-black or SS metals are so hard to visualize via photos. I meant to get a closer look at those metals IRL at the ZMF booth @CanJam earlier this month. Then got chatting w/Zach & Bevin and totally forgot.

They were showing one of the prettiest camphor burls Iā€™ve ever seenā€“an Aeolus w/I believe brass hardware. It was a darker burl than Iā€™d seen before. Breathtaking!

Speaking of my Aeolus, I tried it on my Liquid Carbon v2 the other nightā€¦my most overtly ā€œwarmā€ amp (just a flavorā€“a very nice sound IMO). Anyway, a warm amp + warm HP should = treacleā€¦right? Nope. It was one of those paradoxical synergies this amp sometimes does: the most neutral, level/balanced, but still entertaining/fun sound Iā€™ve heard out of this headphone on all 4 amps I tried it on.

Love that Aeolus!

5 Likes

African Blackwood :wink:
I just love that dark color.

Is the cable you have a ZMF cable?

My turn. Still newbie in this hobby.

Purchase history:

1. SRH1540: was looking for a good studio headphone that could also be used to listen music in general ā€“ Nov 2019;
  2. HD58X: good overall reviews; a lot of value for the money; my very first open back headphone ever (and first time I listened to one) ā€“ Dec 2019;
  3. DT 770 PRO 250ohm: wanted to know how it feels like listening to a high-Z pair of cans ā€“ Dec 2019;
  4. HD6XX: logical step up from HD58X. Affordable price and I just thought, why not? ā€“ Jan 2020;
  5. HD600: bought only because of a lightning deal; I wouldnā€™t have done it at full price; got the Romanian version ā€“ Jan 2020.

Now Iā€™ll settle down for a while. Thereā€™s a lot to get familiar with them, not to mention my wife starting to be reactive about it. :grimacing:

Daily drivers:

• At office: SRH1540 driven by a Modi 3 and Magni 3+;
  • At home: HD6XX driven by a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen) and/or a FiiO K3.

Iā€™m budget/value oriented so Iā€™m clear how far I can go with this hobby. I guess. :lying_face:

8 Likes

Blackwood is amazingā€“so dark itā€™s hard to actually see w/out a bright, indirect light. It looks pitch-black, but much of the wood is the darkest/deepest brown Iā€™ve ever encountered

The cable I got w/the Aeolus is a ZMF silver cable, not sure of its name. Very nice cable.

I also have 2 excellent copper cables for my various ZMF/Audeze headphones: a 2M Noir HCP v2 by ForzaAudioWorks & a 2.5M Danacables Lazuli.

1 Like