What Was "Best" Concert you ever went to?

" How Sweet it was" back in those old days. Loads of unbelievable stories to be told. Thanks!

1 Like

Oh and George Thorogood and the Destroyers used to put on one helluva stage show. Not sure how I missed them as I used to go any time he was within a few hundred miles. Always fun, and always engaging.

1 Like

back in early 70’s hanging out at local park that had a band shell. Bill Haley and the Comets were playing there, I don’t think it was advertised as there couldn’t have been more than 50 people total, and this was a free concert. Put on a hell of a good show.
I’d have loved to see SRV & Jerry Lee…

1 Like

How Awesome. For sure pioneers of Rock and Roll. I was 4 years old when they did “Rock Around the Clock” . We all owe many thanks to this great band who led the way to R&R. It took bands like this to make R&R bands we have today.

For me they their legacy will live on forever.

Applause-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-2

2 Likes

Ozzy Osbourne, about 10 years ago. Full backstage “universal” pass. Got to meet Ozzy, hang out with Zakk Wylde and Mike Bordin. Ended up standing right at the front barrier, without assigned seats. The people we (me and my best friend) were standing in front of were not pleased. They complained to the security guy, and he came over and looked at our passes. “Damn…how’d you get those??? Turns to the lady complaining Sorry ma’am, there is nothing I can do…”

Felt awesome to be honest. My one night of being a “VIP” haha.

4 Likes

Jimi Hendrix in Houston summer 1970

4 Likes

Saw him in “Black Sabbath” 48 years ago. Near stage of College Auditorium. Although it was packed it was a small venue, as most were back then.

Now I’m just a 68 year old fart with great memories.

thumb_twiddling

3 Likes

John Williams, Hollywood Bowl. It’s him conducting the orchestra playing his iconic movie themes while the scenes are projected in the background. He played the opening scene of the Last Crusade, with River Phoenix playing young Indy, with all the audio besides the music. Then he repeated the scene but with the orchestra playing the music. It was a completely different experience. He explained that the moving pictures and dialog and sound effects tell us what to think, but it’s the music that tells us what to feel. It made me realize that my favorite songs are the soundtrack to my life.

4 Likes

No doubt. I saw John Williams in Bostons with the Boston Pops Orchestra. It was quite a thrill.

2 Likes

One of the first and best concerts I’ve ever been to: https://tidal.com/album/152323

Second one would have been Phil Colins, I can’t remember when or what tour it was though.

Most epic, although not the best sound quality, was Clash of the Titans at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado. The mosh pit was pure life energy unleashed.

4 Likes

Great Cover and Poster. :sunglasses:

1 Like

How could I forget? Oh yes, the sixties. No. I can’t blame the 60s because it was 1973.

Saw Springsteen doing The Wild, the Innocent, and the E St. Shuffle tour. Great music. Great sound. Bruce would lean up against Clarence Clemons (sax) like he was the side of a building. He might as well have been.

Saw him again about 3-4 years later, when he was doing Born to Run. Still good, but I liked the first concert better. It was the last I saw Clarence Clemons.

2 Likes

Guns ‘n’ Roses in 1993 then Pink Floyd a year later in 1994.

3 Likes

One of my great regrets was passing on a Pink Floyd concert. Never did get to see them. Friends who went (Civic Arena, Pittsburgh) said they did stuff from Meddle, Relics, but opened second set with lots of smoke machine, followed by arena roof opening and “Obscured by Clouds”.

Probably in about 1973 or 74. I had little spare cash and plenty of exams to study for.

2 Likes

Man it would have been something to see them in those days. I saw them on the Division Bell tour and they played material spanning their whole career-- including Astronomy Domine and One of These Days. They also played the whole Dark Side album front to back complete with original cinematic effects. Amazing show.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Probably my favorite concert was from the Eagles Farewell I Tour. They got so much better with age. It’s a fantastic DVD if you haven’t watched/listened to it.

1 Like

Hard question you have there… so many to choose from ! Best concerts probably include the likes of Gojira and Jinjer (Heavy Montréal 18), Steven Wilson (Wilfrid Pelletier, Montreal 2018), Dream Theater (Capitole, Quebec 2019) and Killswitch Engage (Festival Été de Québec 2019). To be honest, 2018 and 2019 have been amazing for concert opportunities ! Will be seeing Periphery, Jinjer and Alter Bridge in the next few months too, can’t wait !

2 Likes

Foo Fighters (2001, Rock in Rio, Rio de Janeiro)
Nine Inch Nails (2005, Claro Q Eh Rock, Rio de Janeiro)
Rage Against The Machine (2010, Festival SWU, São Paulo)
Arcade Fire (2014, Lollapalooza Brasil, São Paulo)

My biggest regret is never attending any of the Jamiroquai concerts in Brazil way back when they were good and I loved them.

5 Likes

It has been many many years since I visited Brasil. It is my sincere hope to see it again. If I ever get the chance, I will be certain to ask where to go for a good concert. I as in São Paulo, Rio, and on Santos.

What music is good in Brasil now that the world has overlooked?

2 Likes

To be honest with you, if I were living abroad I would not pick right now for a visit. Wait a while to come down. This country is not going through the best of times. Violence is at an all time high due to the downhill economy left by the last three governments.

Culturally the best cities to visit are definitely São Paulo and Rio. And if you mean modern brazilian music I couldn’t really recommend anything, it’s all garbage to me, haha

From Rio, we mostly have “funk carioca”, which is something in-between funk and rap, and is created in the ghettos (the famous “favelas”). It’s really low-brow music about sex and drugs.
From SP, we have a lot gangsta rap, with the same sex and drugs themes but sounding a lot more like american rap.
Both states produce a lot of “samba” and “pagode” (both have melodies with a lot of percussion and some string instruments, but “pagode” is more ballad prone).

There’s “axé”, which comes from Bahia, and I have no idea how to describe, haha. It’s played a lot during carnival here, so it’s basically happy playful music for dancing.

There’s “sertanejo”, from our central states, which is a folk genre from the country side. Pretty much just male voice and guitar, somewhat like american country music.

Of course none of those genres are new :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently pissing off most anyone with any music taste is “sertanejo universitário” (literally translates to college sertanejo). Which is not really sertanejo just pop ballads about heartbreak.

The only brazilian genre I like is bossa nova, but that’s so old you certainly know.

The end

TL;DR: brazilian music sucks at this point in time.

2 Likes