Wireless headphones, Yay or Nay?

Don’t know where best to post this so thought here might be the place.
Has anyone heard the JBL 650BTNC that’s on sale right now…and how they compare with other wireless headphones?
My Koss PortaPros have to go in for “free” repair/replacement so I thought to check out a half decent pair of wireless HPs but have no idea what to expect.
IDK the highest resolution playable on these JBLs, or for that matter any of the wireless codecs.
Any help/educated opinions would be appreciated :musical_note:

1 Like

I began researching wireless phones a couple of weeks ago. Four brands seem to always appear in most of the comparison articles. They were Sony, Sennheiser, B&W and Bose. I settled on the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear. my decision was based on previous brand experience and price. Many of the reviewers posted pro and con attributes of each model. The primary con of the momentums was price which was $499.95 list. Lo and behold, while visiting their website, they were on sale for $249.95 and they have a 30 day return policy. I had been leaning toward the Sony 1000/3 series but the least expensive ones I found were still $100 higher than the momentums.
I have no basis for comparison of wireless phones and I’ve never owned any “real” audiophile grade phones of any sort so I can only provide my limited experience.
I love these phones. I use them for walking and at the gym. I walk a lot because of cardiac issues. It is so nice to not have to deal with wires. Granted, I don’t have audiophile grade hearing and my hearing curve more resembles the St Louis arch than a ruler but these phones stand up to anything else I’ve owned. They include Grado SR60, SR80, Sennheiser Momentum wired over the ear and Sennheiser HD580’s. Like it or not, wireless is here to stay. My TV’s, laptops and now phones are all wireless now.
My vote is a hearty Yay.

2 Likes

Sounds like a great deal you bagged. I haven’t tried wireless myself. No need for them. But I can see the attraction if you’ve got a use for them. Enjoy your musical walks.

hah I never voted on this thread, but I just did today and now its a 50/50 split

2 Likes

You stoke my ambivalence, sir!

1 Like

Some cheap wireless, noise-cancelling headphones are really good to use to mow the lawn with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @sherm137 and welcome.

1 Like

Thanks! Always good to find another headphone community!

1 Like

I am kinda “yay” toward Bluetooth headphones (wireless sounds a bit ambiguous because we now know when things are properly streamed via Wifi it could be at least equivalent to wired connections), mainly because I consider them for commuting and travel purposes rather than serious listening. I barely complain about SQ at least for my WH-1000XM3!

However, I am still seeking for “extremely low latency”… I like to play music games (specifically rhythm actions) – need to press button (or tap) within 30 milliseconds after notes appear in the screen. Current Bluetooth latency for most codecs (didn’t test AptX-LL yet) couldn’t suffice such responsiveness. Oh well :sob:

2 Likes

BeatSaber…:smirk:

Yay for IEMs, nay for over ear. Source makes such a big difference that it’s not worth the tradeoff. Moreover, there’s no application of me using over ears that would be improved by removing the cable. I can see it for some people, but I’m always at the desk working so there’s not much point. Plus, custom cables are awesome!

1 Like

I’m always torn between the freedom of wireless, and the blockage of IEMs.

Mixed topic with Super Cheap IEMs. Any experiences with super cheap wireless IEMs? I’m wanting to get gifts for my nieces.

TRN BT20 is what I use for my three KZ IEM . @antdroid has an excellent review in here about them . I truly recommend them .
With KZ ZSN ( as an example) is a good combo for about $45 and you have the choice to swap IEM in the future if they have same kind of connection .

1 Like

The TRN BT20 plus KZ iem looks pretty good but probably too complicated for my nieces. I was think more on Apple AirPod clones.

1 Like

Yay for convenience for me! But otherwise, fully on the wired stance.

2 Likes

Hi and Welcome @Terminatum.

I’ve been using some model of wireless headphones daily for a couple of years now-- at this point I’m a definite YAY.

I have had a review of a few of the models I’ve used (Jaybirds, Jabra, Senns) in draft for too long. I’ll leave this comment as a draft so I can be publically shamed if I don’t get it out this week.

3 Likes

Maybe someone ought to review a few wireless headphones.

4 Likes

3 Likes