WTB: 12AX7/ECC83 tubes (pairs if possible)

Price: $1
Currency: USD
Ships to: USA
I’m looking to try some different 12AX7/ECC83 tubes in my Quicksilver Headphone Amp. I have my sights set on Mullard long plates from the 1950s (MC1 or F91), Telefunken smooth plate or ribbed plate, Mazda Chrome Plate, Amperex MC6 or I65 (made in Holland, Hammond label preferred), Tungsram (made in Hungary), RCA Black Plate from 1950s (17mm, D-Getter).

My amp uses 2 12AX7’s for the input, so I’m only interested in matched pairs. Let me know what you’ve got that I may be interested in trying. I’m using Gold Lions at the moment and like the sound. I just thought I’d see if vintage tubes are as good as they’re cracked up to be.

Thanks!

3 Likes

You might consider 12AT7s. Less amplification, and easy to find.

I specifically asked the maker of the amp if it was ok to use a 5751 tubes in place of 12AX7, and he said to stick with the 12AX7 due to differences in operating voltage. I’m going to stick to what he recommends to stay compliant and to avoid affecting my warranty.

I interchange them without issue using adapters. 12SL7 (or 2C52) octal to novel 12AT7 (or 12AX7). 5751 is a good tube…a bit more amplification than a 12AT7. I like the 6201 variant.

pocnet.net can offer you the tube specs if you’re interested.

1 Like