Year End Budget IEM Round-Up: 7Hz Salnotes Zero, Kiwi Ears Cadenza, an

Introduction

Every year the budget IEM space explodes with new flavors of the month. It’s impossible to keep up with all of them. I won’t even try. So instead, here are my impressions of a few popular budget IEMs that you might be curious about.

Review units from Linsoul and Tin HiFi

Note that this is an impressions article, not a full review. An expanded “first look” rather than an in-depth analysis conducted over multiple days and dozens of listening hours. It will give you a good idea of my initial thoughts on these products but these may be subject to change with further ear time.

Source(s): Apple USB-C dongle

7Hz Salnotes Zero

In the eyes of many, the 7Hz Salnotes Zero is the budget IEM of the year. For just $20, you get one of the best tuned IEMs on the market, developed with guidance from well known community member Crinacle. Though technically speaking, it isn’t a collaboration product like the previous 7Hz Salnotes Dioko x Crinacle.

Frequency response of the 7Hz Salnotes Zero. Measurement taken with an IEC-711 clone microphone. Comparisons can only be made relative to other measurements taken by this specific microphone. A peak at about 8 – 10 kHz is likely an artifact of the measurement rig and may not exist as depicted here. Measurements above 8 kHz are not accurate. If possible, reference multiple measurements.

Seems familiar doesn’t it? A healthy amount of bass that tapers off into the lower mids, a generous helping of upper mids to bring vocal clarity, and a sloped off treble that retains some note definition but otherwise gets out of the way to prevent listening fatigue. Of course, looking at the graph is one thing. How does it sound?

As per usual with Crinacle collabs, the tonality is excellent. There’s a nice layer of coherence that comes with having great tonality and that’s no exception with the 7Hz Salnotes Zero. I’d consider this IEM to be balanced sounding.

For $20, the 7Hz Salnotes Zero is perfectly adequate. With emphasis on the perfectly. It’s hard to think of another product I would spend my first $20 on IEMs for if I’m looking for a balanced all-rounder. It’s like 7Hz looked at the IEM market and said “Let’s get Crinacle to help us make the ultimate inoffensive well-tuned IEM and we’ll price it at rock bottom to conquer market share through sheer price-to-performance”. Well, it worked. It’s nothing new under the sun but it doesn’t have to be.

Bass quality is fine. It thumps reasonably firmly with a decent rumble. I wish there was more treble brilliance. I hear the notes of the treble but there isn’t much life to them, like it’s there just for the sake of completion. The Zero’s greatest strength is its tonal coherence that leads to a commendable level of resolution. But as a whole, there’s something on a technical level that’s missing that I can’t exactly put my finger on. It’s missing an edge. While price doesn’t correlate with audio, I have a hard time seeing the Zero as anything more than $20. As such, perfectly adequate. Listening to the 7Hz Salnotes Zero is like eating plain white bread.

Kiwi Ears Cadenza

If there’s an IEM that might take the throne of best budget IEM of 2022, the Kiwi Ears Cadenza looked like it had the best shot. If you didn’t know, Kiwi Ears is not a new name. A year ago they released the Kiwi Ears Orchestra, a legitimate DUNU SA6 competitor. The creator of Kiwi Ears has had a hand in some of the most highly rated ChiFi IEMs in the market today, though I’m not at liberty to say more than that I think. All that said, the Kiwi Ears Cadenza does cost $35 so it’s already almost double the price of the Zero. Does it do anything better to warrant that 175% price differential?

The answer is yes and no. I found the Cadenza to have better bass and definitely has that “edge” the Zero was lacking. It doesn’t sound like eating plain white bread. But the tuning is a slight step back. It has more bass and less mid treble leading to a thickened sound. That said, a slight step back from the Zero’s tonality is still very good.

If you’re really strapped for cash, then get the Zero since it’s cheaper. Personally, despite a slightly worse tuning I enjoyed listening to the Cadenza more. It has that “edge” that makes it perform more than just its frequency response. It’s not easy to explain as on a technical level, it’s not like the Cadenza is really much better in its soundstage or imaging or resolution. It’s what makes this hobby interesting - even at budget prices there can be a preference for something beyond words.

Tin HiFi C2

Tin HiFi sent me their new C2 and C3 IEMs out of the blue. The Tin HiFi C2 Mech Warrior (yes, that is the name) costs $30 and is surprisingly good. Apparently it uses the MoonDrop Aria’s dynamic driver according to Tin HiFi. Here’s the graph.

The C2 is a bit more V-shaped than the previous IEMs in this article. Specifically, it fills in the 4 - 8 kHz region compared to the Cadenza while maintaining about the same level of bass. Because of this lower treble counterbalance, the C2 ends up sounding leaner and more balanced than the Cadenza which I like. Thus it ends up sounding more like the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, though a little more V-shaped with some treble stridency. Some might find it bright but I think it brings a treble brilliance that the Zero was missing. Interestingly, I don’t find it too sibilant or harsh in the treble despite what the graph might imply.

Here’s the graph comparison between the three. I think I would probably pick the C2 as my favorite but honestly, they’re all good. I’d probably say C2 >= Cadenza > Zero for my tastes. Zero has the best tonality but once again, it really lacks that “edge” to make it enjoyable beyond the audio equivalent of eating plain white bread.

Love our in-depth reviews?

We test and review hundreds of headphones every year. Sign up to get the latest news, reviews, guides, and more in your inbox. Join the 60,000+ like-minded audio lovers who love our newsletter!

Tin HiFi C3

Finally, we have the Tin HiFi C3. At $50, it plays more in the $50-100 bracket rather than the $20-50. Here’s its graph.

And here’s a comparison to the Kiwi Ears Cadenza.

As you can see from the graphs, it’s quite similar to the Cadenza. I find it marginally less thick sounding with a bit more note definition. The treble is a little better balanced in its timbre for hats/cymbals and is smoother in its extension. Tin HiFi told me it also uses the same driver as the MoonDrop Aria and C2. Its technical ability is about on par for that. I slightly prefer the C3’s tonal balance to the Cadenza’s.

Conclusion

And there you have it, a small round-up of some budget IEMs. I can recommend all of them so get what’s in your budget. My pick is the C2 for its brighter tonal profile (which works great for my rock-heavy library) and price. While I said that the Cadenza and C2 were more enjoyable than the Zero for me, either way you go I think you’ll be pleased. A larger step up in price is the C3 which is a sidegrade to the Cadena and C2. My philosophy is to try not to scrutinize too hard on what the best choice is and just pick one as long as you think you might enjoy the tuning as I’ve described here (or what the graphs show). Without having all four in front of me to obsessively compare back and forth for the sake of this review, I wouldn’t even think twice about any of them. Spend the time enjoying your music. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to indulge in the final moments of Christmas carols.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/year-end-budget-iem-round-up-7hz-salnotes-zero-kiwi-ears-cadenza-and-tin-hifi-c2-and-c3-impressions
6 Likes

I can’t say I enjoy the C2 personally, I find that plateau in the upper mids/lower treble to be too much and makes things sound unnatural (to me).

My curiosity is about Tin saying they use the Aria driver and them using this in the publicity:

However, all of them are good quality for money (even if I don’t like the C2) but the Cadenza is just outstanding, with the Zero not far behind!

3 Likes

Great comparison write-up - thanks for doing this. I now know what to look into when I purchase my kids replacement IEMs (they all have the Blon BL03 right now).

Fair. My response to that is two-fold:

1. I’ll use the “these are only impressions” cop-out

and

1. This Christmas I listened to 6 IEMs (including these 4) with all the same-ish signature. The C2 definitely deviated the most from them which is why I probably prefered it since it was just a little something different.

As the the C2 and C3 using the Aria drivers, I’m not sure what’s going on with that as well. It’s something that Tin had told me when I had given them a bit of feedback on their products.

2 Likes

Oh, I was by no means disagreeing with you, we all have different tastes and preferences :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just got the Salnotes Zero today, and the hype is justified. These things are STUPID for $20.

Pros: Comfort, fit, imaging, detail, relaxed signature.
Cons: A bit light on bass, all notes lack weight.

I can’t believe this is what you get for $20 these days in an IEM. I bought the Moondrop Starfield 18 months ago for $105, and these have better imaging, detail and clarity. The Starfield was warmer throughout the signature, with better bass, but the Zero isn’t far off.

My only complaint about the Zero is a lack of heft to notes, as the review above suggests. Bull’s-eye. Everything feels a bit thin. I think part of that is Crin’s preferred tuning, as I’ve used his EQ profiles in the past, and they emphasize detail and midrange over bass and tone weight. It also may be the limitation of a $20 IEM.

But Good Lord, I no longer will provide many over-ear and on-ear options for those who seek recommendations for a budget closed-back. The value-to-performance ratio for IEMs right now is just nuts.

2 Likes

Greetings.
Have you guys heard of the Tangzu Wan’er? I believe it’s also another good budget IEM that has also been gaining a fair bit of popularity in the community. It would be interesting if you guys reviewed it at some point.

1 Like

There’s a review over in the Ultra-Cheap iem thread:

Wan’er

1 Like

I got the Tinhifi C2 as my first ‘audiophile’ IEM (although I consider the AirPods good enough to be called audiophile :slight_smile: ) and have been happy with them for comfort and sound. One observation is that I think they have quite a significant peak or resonance somewhere perhaps in the 6-7 kHz region. It must be quite narrow as it only appears in certain tracks. Lewis Capaldi’s latest album I think uses some processing to enhance the raspiness of his voice and it REALLY activates it, its also noticeable in the opening consonant of the doo-doo-doo vocals at the beginning of INXS’s Disappear. Just wondering if others have noticed it or maybe just unit variation.

1 Like