ZMF Aeolus - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

Miss, or no ma’am regarding Tacanacy

1 Like

Ha thanks, I fixed that!

My bad!!! My wife would say to me wtf stay WOKE Marcello.

Curious on the b stock list, and was wondering where that is? I remember seeing one, at the end of last year, but can’t find one now.

1 Like

I couldn’t find it either. Searching for b-stock on Google didn’t help either. He may have taken the page down.

1 Like

Great choice! Lemme tell you… the pictures of those don’t do it justice as to how lovely they look in person.

1 Like

You probably actually saw those exact headphones in person @bigshel99 I think they may be from Can Jam NYC!

1 Like

Oh… in that case, I’ll trade you mine for those… hahaha. You don’t want them anyway they’re ugly.

7 Likes

LOL! Yours are beautiful!!! How many pairs did they have there? They are brothers! Did you get the exact same ones? @bigshel99 which ones are yours again??? How are you liking them so far???

1 Like

Not sure how many they had but “a lot” would be a fair description. At one point I think I had 5 pair of VCs sitting on the table in front of me to listen to and no one in the room was lacking a headphone or two to listen to.

I have the Sapele wood Aeolus and love them. Of the headphones I own my 3 favorites are the VC, LCD-3, and Aeolus (probably in that order). The thing I really like about the Aeolus is that the sound stage along with the more relaxed delivery make the music feel more like a live performance to me.

3 Likes

Awesome! I am so excited to get them and give them a listen.

1 Like

It must have been a post either here or on one of the other forums, it is just in my head that you are a lady lol maybe a picture posted ? I tend to pay attention to details so maybe fingernail polish or something like that? Or a statement? It’s hard to turn off that aspect of myself lol

sorry if it wasn’t common knowledge I feel very bad for calling it out now…

1 Like

I saw a pair very similar to this in ZMF’s CanJam booth. It’s a stunning headphone–IMO the darker burls of camphor are gorgeous.

This pair also has just about the best color match of hardware to wood that I’ve ever seen. Is that hardware brass? Again, just beautiful.

3 Likes

You got it, it’s brass. I know, I feel really lucky to have scored them, even though they cost some $$$$$ they look like a true piece of art. If they sound as good as everyone says they do I will be so pumped!

8 Likes

How do you compare the Ori to the Aeolus?

@metal571 burning mine in right now. I watched a few of of your ZMF reviews and subscribed to your channel earlier today. I laughed when you said Zach said to feed them dubstep during the break in period, so I said ok Fu$k it I have been feeding them Chopin all day it’s time for them to put some big boy pants on and I walked upstairs sat down and put on a dubstep playlist, now on to anthem rock and metal songs… these headphones are awesome… I will get some photos of them next week time permitting!

3 Likes

As it happens, I posted something about this on another board… copy & paste below. Since this post in September last year I purchased my own blackwood Aeolus–and everything below still applies. BTW, I often call the Ori’s bass “crushing,” because planar bass feels different somehow–bass notes press against my ears (a very pleasing sensation).

I have compared my Ori (ormosia henryi wood) to a borrowed sapele Aeolus. It’s a fascinating comparison:

• The bass of the Ori remains among the best I ever heard. It’s not just extension, impact, sub-bass (the usual bass suspects). It’s also the unique texture & depth of planar bass (which sounds different from dynamic bass in ways hard to describe/easy to hear).

• The rest of the FC range on the Ori is very pleasing, but not quite up to the technicalities of this Aeolus with Verite pads (which resolves so well, top-to-bottom)

• Re soundstaging, it’s an unfair comparison (Aeolus is open & Ori is closed). Still, the Ori has excellent soundstaging for a closed back–and the Aeolus has excellent soundstaging, period. Both are great, but not identical

• The Aeolus is a bit larger, but very comfortable (I forget they’re on my head). The Ori is probably somewhat heavier, but w/the Pilot Pad, mine is no hardship to wear (not at all)

• Both have the “ZMF house sound” for sure

Net/net: both headphones have musicality that’s off-the-charts. Every time I try either, I start out thinking about technicalities–but end up forgetting all that & getting carried away by the music.

9 Likes

As many know, I own both headphones and completely concur with @Pharmaboy. @Pharmaboy definitely says it better than I can. :wink:

3 Likes

So it sounds like when you want the bass Ori and for most everything else Aeolus?

2 Likes

That pretty much sums it up, for me these days. When I want a powerful sound and killer bass, I reach for my Ori.

3 Likes

I’m about to buy this ZMF Aeolus. Based on your comments and recommendation in HiFiGuides, I’ll be getting the optional suede pads too. Would also appreciate any thoughts you might have on the optional cables, please. Above all, I want to maintain the basic sound signature. But if there’s a cable that adds just a bit more detail/resolution, I’d be interested in that so long as it doesn’t detract from the “warm, immersive, musical sound” so many people have raved about. Thanks…Lee

3 Likes