ZMF Auteur over-ear Headphones - Official Thread

The VO is the better headphone overall.

I do enjoy the neutral tuning of the Auteur and how natural it sounds. I have the Auteur pads currently installed.

I have tried the Eikon pads, they narrow the sound stage and make them sound less open wile making them sound more in your face.They elevate the bass as well.

I also tried the Uni perf, and the Vertie perf pads. They make the headphones sound too neutral and flat, IMO.

I think the best pads so far have been the Auteur pads.

2 Likes

Are you going to keep the Auteurs? Do they have a place in your lineup since you already own the VO and VC?

I ended up getting both sets. I love both of them. Me and my wife had our first baby, hes 3 months now. So, early in the morning I need the isolation. We live in a semi small apartment, about 900 square feet.

Thanks for the input.

4 Likes

Congrats on the baby! I know how it goes with 2 of my own; no more loud speakers, no more open headphones, memorizing every creak in the floor in the desperate hope the baby won’t wake hahaha.

5 Likes

Congratulations on the newborn!

Children are always a blessing. Enjoy every moment you have, because they really do grow so fast.

Happy for you.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the kinds words.

Kids are awesome, its the czarist thing to watch them grow and change every week.

3 Likes

This has been said before but you havent heard the Auteur till you tube it.

Have had it for nine months and it was a great headphone. Got an honest to goodness legit tube amp last week and now its a freaking fantastic can. I look at it now and ask “where the hell have you been?”

When someone says that certain headphones scale well I now truly understand what the positive consequences of that are.

Honesty, the abilities of this headphone are underrated and you take these newly brought forth technical abilities and combine them with its strengths of tuning… my God!

It’s to the point where I have actually considered whether I really need another headphone, and I had a list of them all ready to go.

Love your Auteurs people!!

8 Likes

Which amp? Just wondering, as I can confirm your statements. My ZDS + Auteur was insane.

3 Likes

Haha, I plugged in my smsl sp200 the other day and it sounded great but clinical and almost boring. I plugged my tube amp back in right away!

1 Like

DNA Starlett. Aint too many in the wild yet. Im considering writing a very amateurish review of it.

3 Likes

You should. As you said, there aren’t many in the wild right now. I’ve read a few reviews, but the sample size is too small to form an opinion.

1 Like

My opinion of it is very good. Its synergy with the Auteur is :grin:. The only concern is that I havent really heard much by the way of comparison so Im not sure what value there would be to it. For example: is the amp fast, I think so, but in relation to what, the very limited number of amps I have heard. Is that helpful, I dont know?

The thought was to write something more along the lines of what is the experience like of upgrading to an amp such as this instead of getting bogged down in a lot of audiophile terminology; although, some of it is unavoidable. I have compiled a few notes… might bang something out in the next few days as an early impression kind of thing.

5 Likes

Go for it most of us are very Amateur reviewers. Nobody is going to judge you on this forum. I don’t find it easy to write reviews and appreciate anyone that makes the effort to do one. Looking forward to some impressions. No pressure though. Lol.

6 Likes

I would also be very interested in your impressions, the synergy change from your prior amp to the new with the Auteur… though no pressure please

3 Likes

I did post a review of sorts on the Starlett a few days ago. It’s under the amp section of the forum. Take a look if you like.

2 Likes

I love my Auteur’s I listen to them more than my Verite and VC’s. I had to buy a bunch of ZMF pads too.

Anyways, I like switching between the Auteur pads and the Uni Pads. Has anyone done this and whats your opinion on the sound.

To me, it seems you bring up the highs and the lows wile losing stage and separation. Am I just crazy or do you hear the same thing?

Our minds can play god awful tricks on us when it comes to our hearing.

Thanks dudes.

3 Likes

Can anyone suggest a pad that will make the soundstage bigger? I was wondering about one of the suede or hybrid pads.

Auteur suede / perforated suede are wider, but I don’t know if you will like the FR changes.

I gather that the suede will make the tonality a little warmer. Is that correct?

Also, I’m interested in what the Universe pads (suede or lambskin) would do for both soundstage and tonality.

1 Like

I would certainly stick with the Auteur pads or EIkon pads. That thickness and distance from the ear is what gives it that wide stage IMO.

I have tried the Uni pads and Verite Pads on the Auteur. The Uni pads brig up the frequencies some, you get better dynamic slam, and you hear some more detail. However, you lose stage, neutrality, and separation. Verite pads just don’t work IMO, they sounded bad on the Auteur.

3 Likes