ZMF Headphones - Official Thread

Ultimately, who am I kidding - I’m going to get both VO and VC and enjoy the contrast/experience (or not). For the moment, I’m looking for the biggest contrast between the two Vs as compared with my current cans (Focal Clear MG/Celestee; ZMF Aeolus).

2 Likes

I will close the poll on the 24 hour mark, need more :woman_bald: to participate as current thesis will be disproven at 30% +/- 10% MOE.

No comparison group? The survey items don’t work for me: No, No, No.

As collector and hobby interest in audio, cars, and all sorts of things climbs with people around age 50, baldness is likely common for any male hobby you choose.

1 Like

@generic will anything make you happy? Are you the perpetual contrarian, or a pessimist?

Comparison group is derived from the first option, those who listed they are a ZMF owner, and have not selected a bald option.

I can redo the poll to create a more complete battery of questions to further identify those with age related loss, then we can really dial into further demographics such as those who own the suede strap, the leather strap, how many ZMF/owner, model of ZMF, etc…
As you can surmise, I would be happy to develop a full survey with valuable data insights should that be needed. However to do this within the limitations of a forum post I will need to learn how to code, which I do not have time for. If someone is willing to assist I can deploy at your leisure.

So yes there is a better way it should be done, however I am not a coder and only have experience in HUMINT

3 Likes

Shit I guess I better get on getting a ZMF and help out this metric…

Joking aside I am pretty interested in VC. Wish I could try the whole lineup.

2 Likes

Ditto. ZMF is basically the only reason I even want to go to a canjam. So I can buy the right ZMF headphone the first time. Feb 2022. On my calendar.

4 Likes

I’ve been to NYC CanJam twice (2018 & 2019) and learned so much…also got to meet Zach & Bevin and hear all the ZMF headphones I read about. I now own 3 ZMF’s and had 2 others, since sold.

One of the terrible things about 2020 (so many terrible things) was no CanJam. But I’ll be right back there in February. There’s so much more to hear and learn in this hobby!

8 Likes

The conversation took a deep dive into the Auteur! I’m thankful for that, it’s a headphone I’ve also been curious about since I bought the Eikon. I only picked the Eikon because I wanted the isolation having just welcomed my first son into this crazy world. I often wondered if I had indeed chosen the right can, for me. I wondered if the lively Atticus is a better compliment to an Auteur, where as my current combo is Eikon/Aeolus. I do feel like I made the right choice. It sounds like the Eikon is a better fit for the genres I intend to use it for, which in my opinion is key to any headphone experience. The Aeolus is a wonderful change of pace but thus far the feeling is that I can live without it, if needed.

In other news, a ZMF Pendant (OG) has arrived today. I sure was excited to just get it out of the box! I certainly have some listening ahead of me.

10 Likes

I’ve likewise been to CanJam NYC twice (and the same years as Pharmaboy). The first year I got to hear the Auteur and liked it enough to consider seriously saving up for it. I was excited to try it again in 2019, especially as Zach and Bevin moved over to one of the quieter side rooms, away from the main exhibition hall, where I could give the Auteur a better audition.

The problem was that in the interim, ZMF released the Vérité, which I came to prefer over the Auteur. My worry for 2022 is that ZMF will release the Blockbuster or the New Wave, or some such other highly appealing headphone, and my plans will go out of the window again. Either way, I’m still stuffing the mattress!

8 Likes

Here’s an image from CanJam 2022 when the blockbuster is introduced

8 Likes

New LTD wood for Aeolus and Auteur - Bocote.

8 Likes

They really have elite editing skills

1 Like

Still waiting for the VC LTD Olive I ordered back in April, but this Aeolus Bocote is calling my name…

Oh my! That auteur looks better than I thought… *gulps

Btw, Passion for Sound YT channel did an interview recently with Zach&Bevin. It’s always fun to see them on streams so I’ll leave link here!

10 Likes

One of my only headphone regrets is not ordering my Ori in bocote–a wood that IMO is strikingly handsome, with graphic grain & color. Instead I ordered mine in ormosia henryi, usually found in small items and furniture sourced from Asian countries.

I have zero regrets about the sound of the Ori (it killed then & still does now). But I still think about having bocote sometimes…

2 Likes

It’s my paradox headphone.

It is the most neutral ZMF, but it is not a neutral headphone. It gives you enough flavor that it is definitely NOT sterile sounding. It doesn’t have too much flavor either. Staging is good. Detail is good. Everything is just good

This is just gold man, if I was as good at putting my thoughts into words as you, it would be like this.

I have sold Aeolus and Eikon, but I will take Auteur to the grave.
After hearing Verite (VC), the Auteur still stands as THE ZMF for me to be honest.

12 Likes

Has anyone here built one of the DIY headphone cable kits the ZMF offers?
I bought a kit but am wondering about the small red O-rings.

There are 3 total, 2 very small ones and one slightly larger one.
The larger one I have determined is to mark the right channel, the same way the assembled ZMF headphone cables are.

I am not sure where the pair of smaller O-rings are supposed to go.
TIA

1 Like

Maybe at the split when you go from one cable to two? Just a guess lol.

Actually, now that I look closer, they are 3 different sizes.
Ok, I guess they must be right channel markers for different size cables.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I recently discovered this site/thread and wanted to join in!

I ordered my first ZMF this past December and recieved them in March - Eikon w/standard Camphor - and oh boy has it been nice! I came from Sony MDR 1AM2 so it was quite a step up in quality across the board (though those Sony’s are lovely for their price range).

I would love to have multiple sets and I’m sure someday I will, but for now just getting these was a stretch, financially. (that Ironwood verite they had for a minute was absolutely BITCHIN looking).

I got mine with Eikon lambskin and suede pads - actually just swapped over to the suede to see what difference I can hear as I’ve been primarily using the lambskin ones so far.

Gotta say I’m a lifelong fan of ZMF now - no complaints whatsoever so far!

25 Likes