ZMF Pendant - Tube Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

Good point bud. My Mogwai SE has Jupiter caps, no on board volume control, and selectable Input 1 with input transformer and Input 2 without input transformer. A big reason why I selected this amp is for speaker use, where I like using a separate preamp and power amp. To accommodate this Justin built me a separate passive preamp box with 2 selectable inputs and 2 outputs, 1 of which feeds my powered subwoofer for speaker listening. I didn’t ask for all of these, but he listened to my requests and objectives, and delivered. I also use an LTA MZ2 as an active tube preamp, which is more challenging to add to the chain due to hum and ground loop considerations (manageable for speakers, but not headphones to date). The Mogwai SE doesn’t need more tube influence, but my speakers do benefit from a bit of gain added by an active preamp.

I did ask Justin to substitute the 300 ohm out with 100 ohm. He said this wasn’t possible at this time as it had not undergone proper bench testing to date. After receiving my amp, I use the 32 ohm out mainly with my high sensitivity cans. It is nice to compare and have the 300 ohm out, but I’d likely use the 100 ohm out more often than the 300 ohm out. Whether I’d like 100 ohm over 32 ohm is uncertain. 32 ohm pleases my ears completely.

@monochromios talking to Justin on the phone as well as his video interviews solidified my selection. His products deliver, but the man behind is someone I want to support and whose ethos I am on board with.

11 Likes