ZMF Pendant - Tube Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

Good points, all. And it’s the advice I’ve decided to take, with logistics aligned to take delivery of the GOTL in a couple of days. As you mention, nothing is lost by having them both for a bit, and deciding from there on what to keep, etc. One thing that really put the transaction over the top for me is the inclusion of a plethora (“Jefe, what is a plethora?”… sorry, couldn’t help myself) of tubes, so I’m hoping “I’m good” for a long while with no need to bust my wallet further with tube purchases.

Famous last words here, I know.

3 Likes

I’m not experienced enough to add an informed analysis of my RME/Pendant pairing, but I think you nailed it in your comments. Instead of “balancing out” the strengths of both units in an enhancing way as I had hoped, I think there’s a touch of euphonic energy that seems to be missing. It’s interesting, as Zach gently warned me of this when I was ordering my VO. My thought is in time to review other DAC pairings, including several he recommended instead of the RME, such as the Gumby and a few others. If I do that, I plan to keep the RME for many of the reasons you mentioned, feeling it’ll have a place potentially as a nightstand headphone setup. It’s such a versatile little unit.

3 Likes

Good to hear. Please let us know how you find the infamous GOTL, or is it famous…great movie.

Regarding your DAC comments, maybe try the Universe pads (as well as Amperex or British made tubes) for less neutrality. I’m in the process of comparing the Bifrost 2 and Chord Qutest. If euphonic energy is what you’re seeking, the Bifrost 2 and current Yggy A2 might be more appropriate than the current Gumby. I’ll defer to others who have more direct experience with that.

2 Likes

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Qutest pairing with the Pendant. I’m very happy with the BF2, but I am a little curious about other DACs.

It’s interesting that the BF2 and the much more expensive Yggy A2 get a lot of love in forums, and the Gumby is scarcely mentioned. Is that just down to the sound signature? I keep hearing the BF2 is a mini-Yggy so I’m assuming they sound similar but the Yggy has a little more ‘magic’ (transparency, resolution etc). It makes me wonder what the Gumby is lacking.

And then there’s the Yggy GS, which appears to have a less warm signature than the A2, but still a lot of the magic. I found a great review of the GS by @dncnexus on SBAF.

2 Likes

I’ll be sure to let you know about the Qutest. It just arrived on Friday.

I believe some have also shared that the improvement of the Yggy A2 over the Gumby is greater than the Gumby’s improvement over the Bifrost 2. Being a mini Yggy A2 in sound signature, price performance, and single ended performance are likely factors for the BF2’s appeal.

I understand that the current Yggy A2, BF2, and old Gumby all lean toward warm, whereas Yggy A1, Yggy GS, and new Gumby all lean toward neutral. The consideration of synergies and the rest of the chain appears to be required for fine tuning.

2 Likes

Good luck with your sale @Skyediver.

1 Like

I also chose the GOTL over the Pendant when I had a chance to compare both. Not to turn this thread away from the Pendant, but I felt like the GOTL was much more versatile with tube rolling. The Pendant prob has some extra versatility with the high/low impedance outputs. But you can’t beat the sheer number of tubes the GOTL can take. Fwiw, I didn’t think rolling NOS tubes made much of an impact on the Pendant, at least compared to the GOTL. Now as to which amp looks better…some of these wood base Pendants are works of art! My GOTL looks like Frankenstein in comparison, especially with all the various adapters. There’s a huge thread on Head-Fi as well with a trove of info. I’d be curious to know which tube combos you enjoy the most.

4 Likes

I love this community. It allows for schizophrenia.

ONE DAY after posting I was gonna sell my Pendant due to getting my GOTL… I’ve changed my mind. Long story short: some experienced folks connected with me to share a different perspective, one that helped me appreciate that there’s a much more attractive “complimentary rather than competing” path I can take by having both tube amps. I’ve deleted my original posting so folks interested in a Pendant purchase aren’t misled; my apologies.

@Wenbinbin2010 , that thread is crazy, and at 30K+ posts, NOT something I’ve relished diving into just to learn all of the intricacies of the GOTL. What’s helped me specifically is the person I bought the unit from took time to educate me, provided an amazing, organized spreadsheet (with subjective listening impressions!) for the 100 tubes he included in the sale. Amazing experience. It’s early, and I’m going to have a BALL slowly working through all the combinations, but Tung Sol 5998s are nice.

This isn’t a 30K GOTL thread, so back on the Pendant: I agree with you, the NOS tubes are nice, but I really like the “standard” J&J tubes Zach provides. I’d honestly say I could’ve saved that $200 and been happy, at least at this stage.

10 Likes

Curious what tubes you have rolled in the Pendant?

Forgive my ignorance i’m still learning about tubes and I don’t know most of the dates of the tubes I have. I have a NOS set along with the new production JJ’s that came with the amp. The NOS input tube and power tubes are all Baldwin Organ branded tubes which from what I understand are rebranded tubes from various sources. Mine all say Japan, but which manufacturer I do not know. The NOS rectifier was an RFT.

I added a few NOS tubes to my collection in my quest to get the quietest and sweetest sound possible:

Input tubes: RCA Cleartop 12AU7, Valvo ECC82, and two more Baldwin 12AU7 tubes Zach sent me when I mentioned having noise issues. I also have a 12AT7 that has all it’s lettering rubbed off. To be totally honest, I have no idea where I got it from! Zach may have sent it, or I may have done a random EBAY purchase, I just can’t remember.

Power tubes (all EL84): Tesla, Amperex, and Phillips.

Rectifier tubes (all EL81): RFT, Phillips 1974, GE.

For the input tube I really love one of the Baldwin 12AU7 tubes Zach sent me. It’s a mildly warm tube with no microphonics or noise issues. A very nice tube, with a touch of warm, kind of like the Auteur.

For the rectifier I really like the Phillips 1974 tube I got from either Tube Depot or The Tube Store, I forget which. Really quiet tube with a nice tonality.

The tubes i’m rolling the most are the power tubes. For some reason i’m finding they have the biggest effect on the noise floor of the amp. And the tubes I found to be the quietest are the Tesla tubes I got on Headfi SOLD - EL84 Tesla Czech NOS | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org They’re super quiet, even with the VC, I only get the smallest of noise on the high z tap. They also have a very nice sound. A tad darker then i’d like, which makes the Atticus a bit sleepy, but with the VC and Eikon they’re excellent.

I’m still learning about tubes and how to identify them. I want to learn how to figure out the age of the NOS tubes I have.

Any tube suggestions? I love trying new tubes, though i’m trying to keep the cost down a bit. no megabuck tubes for me :wink: But I will spend up to 100 a tube if i think it’s really worth it.

3 Likes

http://www.audiotubes.com/mullcode.htm
http://www.audiotubes.com/teledate.htm

Asking Brent Jessee nicely to help can probably get you going too. He’s a great dude, has forgotten more about tubes than I’ll ever know, and sells fantastic tubes.

8 Likes

These are super nice and quiet and might be worth finding. Make sure they are the yellow T’s with the yellow sticker as those were the quietest ones out of the bunch.

You don’t have to break the bank with el84’s either.

+1 on Brent Jesse

6 Likes

Those tubes are the cat’s pajamas @Earmuffs.

2 Likes

Finally shipped out some stuff this week and made room for the Pendant next to the Nautilus! Using the Pendant as a preamp from my streamer right now into the VIDAR into the KEF :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

@MRHifiReviews I’m interested in what your thoughts are as far as the Pendant as a preamp. I’ve thought about getting either the Pendant or a Kenzie Encore at some point because the pre-outs appeal to me since I’m working with a small footprint.

1 Like

Is that the new Pendant SE?

1 Like

I will give you some updates so far so good! @eric75 no it’s the last revision mode of 2020 before the Pendant SE.

2 Likes

Pendant SE available for pre-order. The forum even got a shout. We made it.

10 Likes

Pendant SE Walnut Burl

15 Likes
13 Likes